and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest dannylondon

Moving to Perth in April from UK ,need suburb /rental help pls

Guest dannylondon

Hi all,

I will be arriving in Perth in April with my wife and still cant decide which suburb to go to,i am an electrician and will be looking for a job when we arrive does any one have any ideas where is a good place to start.

Also does any one know the best places to look for cheap accomadation while searching for a flat or house to rent ,i have heard that holiday rentals are the way to go but cant find any sites on the web pls help

Guest Steve and Paula

Hi there,

Myself, my husband and 2 young children should be arriving around July this year and are considering to live in Atwell. We know we definitely want to be south of the river. My husband is also an Electrician and work seems to be plentiful south of the river from what he has seen online. Kwinana (between Rockingham and Perth City) is a big industrial area with lots of potential work. For accommodation when you arrive you can check out these sites that I came across:

http://www.ozhouserental.com/index.htm

http://www.stayz.com.au/search.action

http://www.takeabreak.com.au/Perth--Surrounds/Perth/accomodation.htm?personNumber=2

Good luck and happy moving!

Paula

Stick close to the centre, everyone has told us this. its more expensive but when you get there you will see if you go further out it seems that your stuck in the middle of nowhere and how will you meet people stuck there? Also it depends on your situation - kids or not. For example: Midvale looks to be good for families where its full of cheap shops and miles away from the city etc... That is my worse nightmare but then i dont have kids so i wouldnt want a family area

Pay more and be happy for the first few months. North of the river seems better to get into the city but some south too, just live near a train line as the roads getting into the city are blocked almost and it costs a fortune to park in perth.

You will see the green and nice suburbs when you drive about compared to the other areas. only varience on that is to go near Joondaloop its nice there and you can still get into town in 40 mins - thats where all the british live.

Suburbs are really a personal preference, you should find a good base to start with, maybe you want to be near the city, or take a holiday by the beach while you do the hard work finding the right suburb for you. Get a furnished rental for between 1 and 3 months, and spend your time in the car driving the freeway, looking at suburbs (at different times of day), and you will find somewhere that just feels right for you.

martync above says stick close the the centre or you end up in the middle of nowhere - realistically you will need to be a long way out of Perth 100km either way to end up in the sticks, we're not as remote as you may think

Good luck with it all, it will come together and you'll have a great new life over here -we did :biggrin:

Tracey

favicon.icoOzhouserental

Short term furnished rentals in all areas of Perth, WA

Hi all,

I will be arriving in Perth in April with my wife and still cant decide which suburb to go to,i am an electrician and will be looking for a job when we arrive does any one have any ideas where is a good place to start.

Also does any one know the best places to look for cheap accomadation while searching for a flat or house to rent ,i have heard that holiday rentals are the way to go but cant find any sites on the web pls help

hi,

im sorry to bother you but i was wondering if you can help, me and my husband are going to WA this month and i was just looking into where the most demand for electricians are, as my husband too is an electrician and i came across your post. i noticed you said you made your move in april, i hope things are going well for you both, was it easy to find work? and where do you think the best area is to settle that has the most demand for electricians as we really don't know where to start looking.

thank you

natalie

Guest Steve and Paula

I grew up in WA and am returning to work as an electrician, I am in Canada but lived in London in the UK as well. I would personally recommend agency work to start ( unless you can find a job before hand). The reasoning is that agencies will send you to the commercial and industrial projects where you can wet your feet in the trade work. It is a little less demanding at some jobs and this also gives you time to settle in a bit. There should be plenty of hours and Kwinana and Henderson should have opportunities regularly, in the north Wangara area, and in the east Kewdale area. I would not recommend living too close to the city as most of the industry surrounds the outskirts. We are personally going to stay south of Perth but that is our choice, North of Perth is great as well.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi, the northern suburbs are really nice. Suburbs like hillarys, mullaloo, ocean reef, curumbine, Iluka and Woodvale are all good areas. Look on realestate.com.au for accommodation. Also look on gumtree for rentals.

Agencies wont be interested in finding you work unless you have an A grade. There is more work in the South if you do industrial or commercial work