ADVICE on superannuation return please

stephensteve

Hi Guys, we are heading back home to England after 4 years and gaining Perm Res...!!!

I wonder if we can get our super back???

I have heard that they return it to Temp Residents when they go home , is it the same for us perm residents (not yet Citizens though ) your advice would be greatly welcomed,

thanks, Steve

Apparently not although there are some returnees who claim that they have had their super returned to them - the mechanism by which they have managed that is less than clear but the ATO is pretty definite that PRs cant take their super out. Whether you would have a case if your visa expired and you did not seek a RRV I dont know

Guest Longbean

Hi,

I was wondering if we could contact your husband too. My husband has been paying Super for 4 years and myself for a year and a half. We plan to move back to the UK in August. Would be great if we could get it back.

Thanks

So does that mean that if I an Australian citizen move to the Uk to become a permanent resident that means I can obtain my Oz super???

Nope, not as a citizen, not according to the ATO anyway. It has to stay there until you reach retirement age. http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00276719.htm&page=3&H3

People have talked about getting their super back as PRs but no one has actually specified the action they had to take to get it.

Hello,

I am new here but I have been following the forum since about 2 years.

I came back to Europe with my husband after living in Australia with a PR for 3,5 years. My husband had a PR too. We are back in Europe since 1 year and our PR is expiring in July/August.

I tried to figure out if there is a possibility to get our Super back before we left Australia but only received negative answers since we got PR.

It would be great if anyone could help me get advise in this case.

alimay68: Would you please post your hubby's contact details to me as well?

Many thanks in advance for all your help!!

Kind regards,

Mine

Interesting, I have been reading about that subject yesterday because I was asking myself the same question.

So if it is indeed the case that one cannot take Super if leaving Oz having PR then that means that my partner and I certainly won't apply for PR (we are on a 457 long term right now), and we will return to Europe (preferably) in a couple of years time without having the possibility to return. Might sound rude and stupid to some but that's how it is. And the other downside of this would be that we will have to pay taxes on Super.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for replying!

Well, to be honest my partner and I are not sure if we will stay here "forever" at the moment - but we are grateful that we have the chance to be here right now!

We have a four year 457 visa at the moment, I am the dependant person, and we don't know if the university is going to renew my partner's contract and our visa or will sponsor us to PR.

Also, I have been quite troubled with my job search lately, so right now we are a little bit disappointed altogether. Maybe that adds up to not being convinced if we should stay for longer even if we could.

BTW we are 42 and 34 years of age and have not accumulated much Super in other countries up to now (there a many reasons for this). So of course it would not be a problem to leave Australian Super in Australia in general should we leave the country for good but I would just find it "strange". - I don't know if my thoughts make any sense...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

...thanks for all the replies, I have been to the tax advisor and he gave me a link and said that he could see no reason why I shouldn't get a return of my Super.....http://www.ato.gov.au/distributor.aspx?ms=businesses&doc=/content/78940.htm

..hope this helps someone, cheers,,,

...thanks for all the replies, I have been to the tax advisor and he gave me a link and said that he could see no reason why I shouldn't get a return of my Super.....http://www.ato.gov.au/distributor.aspx?ms=businesses&doc=/content/78940.htm

..hope this helps someone, cheers,,,

That's a link to business not individual so it would be good to see whether they waive the permanent resident thing for you - has your PR expired?

That's a link to business not individual so it would be good to see whether they waive the permanent resident thing for you - has your PR expired?

You will note that there is a link to a PRIVATE RULING section, which takes you thru and thru...

hope it will do the trick

and no our PR has not expired.......cheers

Guest sudzy
Stephensteve, my hubby was a Financial Planner in Melbourne for almost 10 years and has set up his own IFA here in England since our move almost 2 years ago. I'll private message you his contact details for some advice on superannuation.

Cheers

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

Could you pm me also?! That's if your hubby doesn't mind another query!! :embarrassed:

Guest ShellBee

It's all very frustrating! I came over on working holiday 3 years ago and now awaiting my PR but am heading back to UK in Sept. There will be nothing left in my super by the time I'm 65 so what a waste!

I had a look at the private ruling but it makes no sense to me, but I will look again.