You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ilovemilkymoos

Temp. Furnished Accommodation! How Long For?

Hi Folks,

With the big move looming, its time to start looking at temporary accommodation.

Heading for Sydney on the 9th April and although my bro lives there and has offered us a room, I think its a good idea to rent somewhere short term and have our own space!

Just wondering, from peoples experience, how long to book the temp rental for? I was thinking 3 weeks but could be way off!

Advice is greatly appreciated as always! :wubclub:

Hi people normally find 3 to 4 weeks is adequate to find your feet and secure a longer term rental in an area you like.

Good luck with your journey

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

It all depends on the suburb you are hoping to settle and what the rental situation is like in that area. It may be best to ask your brother for advice on the rental vacancy rates for certain areas as you can't always rely on realestate.

I would think that 3-4 weeks would be ample time for most suburbs.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

But, if your brother's offered you a room - don't forget how much money you'd save..... Maybe you could do 50/50?

(Take it from someone who shacked up with relo's when we first arrived - it saved us a fortune!)

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

Thanks for the reply folks,

I would have no problems moving in with my brother, thats still an option!

I would hate to outstay our welcome tho!

We are getting married at home 10 days before we move over, and i thought that we would enjoy our own space a little more!

I dont mind spending the money on temp accommodation, if my brother wasn't living in Sydney we have no choice anyway!

Thanks for the reply folks,

I would have no problems moving in with my brother, thats still an option!

I would hate to outstay our welcome tho!

We are getting married at home 10 days before we move over, and i thought that we would enjoy our own space a little more!

Join the "mile high" club on your way over and then give it a rest for the 3 weeks you're with your bro..............no need for privacy and save a wad of cash :wink: :biggrin:

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

We stayed 6 weeks in temp apartment and it was just the right amount of time - as others have said, you could get 4 weeks rental and then have your brother as a backup.

It really depends on the rental market. We had a furnished rental in Mornington Peninsula for 5 weeks. Managed to secure a longer term rental 2 days before we had to move out!

ENS 121 Occupation: Office Manager. Vetassess success letter received 01/06/11. Nomination and Application lodged 29/06/11 Melbourne. Payment/Acknowledgement 30/06/11. CO 13/12/11 requesting repeat information. Pre-grant letter 22/12/11 PR GRANTED 03/01/2012

It really depends on where you are moving to and how picky you are about a long term rental!

Some people find somewhere to live very quickly - within a couple of weeks, others take longer. I Sydney, the competition for rentals is much more fierce than it is in Brisbane, so you might need longer!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest spadgersdad

Got to agree with Rudi, depends on area, market and the time of year !

We recently had guests stay with us that thought they would be able to find a rental in 2 weeks which actually ended up being nearly 5 weeks before they could find the rental that suited their needs.

Whereas other people have found rentals in 2 weeks !!!!

We usually like to advice 2 to 4 weeks short term rental then you are not rushing into something that may not suit your requirements

Good luck with your search :yes: