I love yorkshire...

Splash77

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree Yorkshire is a beautiful place with culture and history. I have enjoyed many a day walking in the dales and love doing the three peaks. What is heaven for you is not always heaven for eneryone, however, a lovely sunny day on the dales sure is close to it. I still want to try out Australia though and like they say ' its your choice what you do'. Good luck on your future and enjoy what Yorkshire has to offer.

I am a Yorkshire man so it's always in my heart. I will return to Yorkshire throwing away 10 years of London and Sydney just might do a full year here first.

Its a wonderful and amazing part or the world written about by wainwright so brilliantly, Julia is not too shabby either!

I have to agree Yorkshire is a beautiful place with culture and history. I have enjoyed many a day walking in the dales and love doing the three peaks. What is heaven for you is not always heaven for eneryone, however, a lovely sunny day on the dales sure is close to it. I still want to try out Australia though and like they say ' its your choice what you do'. Good luck on your future and enjoy what Yorkshire has to offer.

I would advise anyone to try australia...it has alot to offer too. The "australian dream" is not that dreamy anymore...and its time to go home and see them beautiful green hills again..yorkshire is calling me....

Guest The Pom Queen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEXtgRDWMc

I moved to oz 4 years ago..but we are returning to yorkshire in july/august..and i cant bloody wait...my desire to get home grows stonger by the minute....This link above is where im from ....such beauty,

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing."

Alfred Wainwright

Can't argue there, can I ask where in Yorkshire you come from, is it the Dales or the Lakes?

Guest guest57588

I moved to oz 4 years ago..but we are returning to yorkshire in july/august..and i cant bloody wait...my desire to get home grows stonger by the minute....This link above is where im from ....such beauty,

Alfred Wainwright

The real 'God's Country' mate!

Guest Guest26012

We love the dales! We camped and caravanned there for years! Hawes is our favorite place! We have said that when we holiday back to the uk, not for a few years yet, we will stay there and people can come and see us lol

Guest Guest26012
grassington....its beautiful at christmas with the christmas markets...mulled wine, roasted chestnuts ...you cant beat it!

Awww! Grassington, beautiful place! We had many a trip there from Hawes!

I love Yorkshire too and miss the place very much, even after being here 15 years. Having said that, I have been seduced by the nice weather and more relaxed lifestyle of Sydney vs Leeds. And if I'd stayed in Leeds I would have been stuck on some ex-council estate like the Wythers in Bramley. Can't say I miss the petty class and parochial prejudices of Yorkshire. The Youtube video shows some very scenic parts of the county, but on my last visit back 'home' I found such places to be a bit too Daily Mail in their outlook. I also found that most Yorkshire towns had lost their individual character. All the high streets had exactly the same chains of shops: Greggs, Comet, Carphone Warehouse etc. Give me the individuality and idiosyncracies of the shops in Enmore anytime. Sorry Yorkshire, you're history.

Guest The Pom Queen
grassington....its beautiful at christmas with the christmas markets...mulled wine, roasted chestnuts ...you cant beat it!

Ok let's test you (how old are you and how long have you been away), who owns the Foresters?

Guest Guest26012
I love Yorkshire too and miss the place very much, even after being here 15 years. Having said that, I have been seduced by the nice weather and more relaxed lifestyle of Sydney vs Leeds. And if I'd stayed in Leeds I would have been stuck on some ex-council estate like the Wythers in Bramley. Can't say I miss the petty class and parochial prejudices of Yorkshire. The Youtube video shows some very scenic parts of the county, but on my last visit back 'home' I found such places to be a bit too Daily Mail in their outlook. I also found that most Yorkshire towns had lost their individual character. All the high streets had exactly the same chains of shops: Greggs, Comet, Carphone Warehouse etc. Give me the individuality and idiosyncracies of the shops in Enmore anytime. Sorry Yorkshire, you're history.

Ahh! Agree about some of Yorkshire but the op is talking about a very beautiful part of Yorkshire! I wouldn't move back to my part of Yorkshire, and I wouldn't trade it for my life here but if you live in the nice bits of the dales then I don't blame them!

Guest Guest26012
Ok let's test you (how old are you and how long have you been away), who owns the Foresters?

Whats the foresters? Is that a pub lol

Guest Guest26012
Yes, spent many a night there

We had lunch in some pubs there en route from Hawes but didn't know their names! Lovely pub lunches though!

Guest The Pom Queen
We had lunch in some pubs there en route from Hawes but didn't know their names! Lovely pub lunches though!

There are 3 in the town

Black Horse

Devonshire and

Foresters

You have the Old Hall at Threshfield, mind you this was years and years ago they have probably been knocked down since

There are 3 in the town

Black Horse

Devonshire and

Foresters

You have the Old Hall at Threshfield, mind you this was years and years ago they have probably been knocked down since

Had a good night in one of the locals in Grassington in my younger days, they kicked everyone out at closing time except for the locals. Had family living there so was classed as a local in their eyes. :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
Had a good night in one of the locals in Grassington in my younger days, they kicked everyone out at closing time except for the locals. Had family living there so was classed as a local in their eyes. :wink:

We were probably locked in together and never knew lol. How long did your family live there?

We were probably locked in together and never knew lol. How long did your family live there?

Now that would be funny.

My uncle married a local woman and even after they divorced I still went to visit my aunt. She moved to Ilkley a couple of years ago with her new partner after living in Threshfield for 40+ years.

Guest The Pom Queen
Now that would be funny.

My uncle married a local woman and even after they divorced I still went to visit my aunt. She moved to Ilkley a couple of years ago with her new partner after living in Threshfield for 40+ years.

Threshfield is lovely.

Alfred Wainwright

How about this then ......my day yesterday

5am start Brum to bolton .....bolton to altincham ( cheshire ) .....quick check of the satnav .....altrincham to derby via the dales ( buxton, matlock and bakewell ) .....derby to nottingham .

i could wax lyrical , but i would be lying ......most of it was spent on overcrowded roads ......peak district is ok .....but i wouldnt rave about it .......on a positive note i like Nottingham as a city ....and efforts are being made in derby .

p.s iam up in sheffield tomorrow at united for the f,a cup game .

Some parts of yorkshire are beautiful , especially north yorkshire , beverley is nice .....but some of its bloody ropey ......like everywhere else on the M1 -M6 corridor .......most of the beauty in England is south of Birmingham