Midwifery in Queensland

Guest Chantel

Guest Chantel

G'day peoples.

I was born in Perth WA but have spent most of my life in England. I am returning to Australia this year with my husband and my son.

I do not have much in the way of work experience or qualifications, but I would love to become a midwife in Queensland. What suggested route could anyone suggest for me to take when I arrive in Queensland and what will this entail? Also, I will need to work so a role as an assistant or trainee would be great if possible?

Many thanks

Chantel

G'day peoples.

I was born in Perth WA but have spent most of my life in England. I am returning to Australia this year with my husband and my son.

I do not have much in the way of work experience or qualifications, but I would love to become a midwife in Queensland. What suggested route could anyone suggest for me to take when I arrive in Queensland and what will this entail? Also, I will need to work so a role as an assistant or trainee would be great if possible?

Many thanks

Chantel

Hi Chantel,

You would need to undergo an undergraduate course of study Info here:http://www.hlth.qut.edu.au/nrs/study/undergrad/course-major.jsp?major-id=15545

Most midwifery courses are aimed at graduates but the above holds a course for undergraduates. The other route is to do a course in nursing as these are more accessible: http://www.hlth.qut.edu.au/nrs/study/undergrad/course-major.jsp?major-id=15546 and then midwifery

As an Australian citizen you would be entitled to HECS which means that you don't have to pay up front for the course and the cost can be taken from your salary by way of a tax adjustment once you are in employment in your profession. As for work, once you are on a course, you could seek a position as a nursing assistant (AIN) but you have a family, you have to study, so working needs careful thinking about.

PIO member Sam (Generalis) is studying to be an EN and once qualified and working full-time, she then intends to study to upgrade to RN, but by then, her kids will be older and won't need tha attention that they need at their current age. My wife suggested, once sam started the course, that she apply for a position on her ward, part-time as an AIN. Sam was successful so not only is she earning a few more dollars to pay for her course (she is not yet a citizen so doesn't get HECS) she is also gaining valuable experience before she qualifies.

Hope this helps and I'm sure Sam wouldn't mind if you PM'd her for help.

good luck

kev

Guest Chantel
Hi Chantel,

You would need to undergo an undergraduate course of study Info here:http://www.hlth.qut.edu.au/nrs/study/undergrad/course-major.jsp?major-id=15545

Most midwifery courses are aimed at graduates but the above holds a course for undergraduates. The other route is to do a course in nursing as these are more accessible: http://www.hlth.qut.edu.au/nrs/study/undergrad/course-major.jsp?major-id=15546 and then midwifery

As an Australian citizen you would be entitled to HECS which means that you don't have to pay up front for the course and the cost can be taken from your salary by way of a tax adjustment once you are in employment in your profession. As for work, once you are on a course, you could seek a position as a nursing assistant (AIN) but you have a family, you have to study, so working needs careful thinking about.

PIO member Sam (Generalis) is studying to be an EN and once qualified and working full-time, she then intends to study to upgrade to RN, but by then, her kids will be older and won't need tha attention that they need at their current age. My wife suggested, once sam started the course, that she apply for a position on her ward, part-time as an AIN. Sam was successful so not only is she earning a few more dollars to pay for her course (she is not yet a citizen so doesn't get HECS) she is also gaining valuable experience before she qualifies.

Hope this helps and I'm sure Sam wouldn't mind if you PM'd her for help.

good luck

kev

That is a lot of very useful information. Thank you very much. How would I find Sam? I will be looking into it more.

Chantel

I am planning on moving out in Sep/Oct of this year with my husband and two kids and hoping to enrol in a midwifery degree in 2014. I have been looking at University of Queensland in Ipswich.

I would be interested in the response you get from someone already involved in nursing courses and is not a citizen, would you mind pm'ing me the messages, thanks

Guest Chantel
The University of the Sunshine Coast does a degree in straight midwifery.

Its on the edge of Buderim and is a nice place to live and study.

Thank you. That is helpful to know. :rolleyes:

On the USC website they say that the nursing and midwifery course has not been renewed this year, so I don't know if it will in the future. I know Ipswich is a city (and in some peoples eyes not a very nice one) but the course is long standing and running.

We also have my husband to find work for (maybe not so much work for a arborist around the sunshine coast)

On the USC website they say that the nursing and midwifery course has not been renewed this year, so I don't know if it will in the future. I know Ipswich is a city (and in some peoples eyes not a very nice one) but the course is long standing and running.

We also have my husband to find work for (maybe not so much work for a arborist around the sunshine coast)

If he considers himself a "tree lopper" It may not be on the skills list but I have a mate who is never short of work.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chantel
I am planning on moving out in Sep/Oct of this year with my husband and two kids and hoping to enrol in a midwifery degree in 2014. I have been looking at University of Queensland in Ipswich.

I would be interested in the response you get from someone already involved in nursing courses and is not a citizen, would you mind pm'ing me the messages, thanks

Hi,

I have just seen your post. Most definitely, I will forward any information that I gain.

Chantel

Guest Chantel
Thanks, at the moment it looks like we would rather live in Buderim and then I would do the nursing degree and top up with midwifery masters. I would rather do midwifery batchelors but living so far from coast and ina city is just not us!

Some one suggested doing an 18 month course as an EN (enrolled nurse) in Brisbane, she said that she does 2 half days and one full day of uni a week and she has also landed a job as an AIN (assistant nnurse). This way, you qualify in half the time giving you the ability to earn and then do an extra course into midwifery while you are working. This seems like the perfect set up. The lady is not an Australian citizen either, but manages to get through and pay for her course.

Chantel