Cairns or Gold Coast???

Guest Chantel

Oh my! I don't have any friends in a 'friends list'

What do you expect...no one can work out whether you're going to the same city as them or not :biglaugh:

Edit: Oooh, I have Moving 2 Melbourne as a friend now...apparently coercion works...you should give it a shot!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chantel
What do you expect...no one can work out whether you're going to the same city as them or not :biglaugh:

Edit: Oooh, I have Moving 2 Melbourne as a friend now...apparently coercion works...you should give it a shot!!

LOOOOL I'm confused :cute:

I am a nice girl, only more subtle tactics allowed :wink:

If you mean your OH is in large scale corporate IT he'll struggle to find work in either place. I am and I live on the north end of the GC & commute to Brisbane, no kind of work for me on the Gold Coast sadly. Major IT mostly occurs in the state capitals, and there's probably a bit more in Brisbane than Perth from the stats I've seen.

Guest The Pom Queen
LOOOOL I'm confused :cute:

I am a nice girl, only more subtle tactics allowed :wink:

Ok, Ok I have been bullied to spreading my friendships around, Chantel you are now on my friends list, however, be warned if you pm me I won't answer for a few years :tongue:

Guest Chantel
Ok, Ok I have been bullied to spreading my friendships around, Chantel you are now on my friends list, however, be warned if you pm me I won't answer for a few years :tongue:

aaaaaaawwwwwww bless, I wouldn't wanna bully you! :cute: But, thank you, you are now my first PIO cyber friend! :wub:

Guest Chantel

OK...I can't shake it! It's like destiny calling or something...Going home to Perth just doesn't feel right! Hubby is still concerned about employment in Cairns, but I feel sooooooooooo drawn to Queensland, so we are defo heading to the Gold Coast now! Our minds are made up. We have chosen a school for our son and everything, now we just can't wait! It feels so right!!! :jiggy::notworthy: A very BIG thank you to everyone who offered information and advise!

P.s. Cairns is the first place on my holiday list after we have settled!!! :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
G'day peoples. :em3600:

I was born in Perth but have spent most of my life in England. I am returning to Australia this year with my husband and my son. Thing is, we can't decide between Cairns (Which looks simply stunning and never gets cold) and the Gold Coast (which may have more opportunities and things to do for teens). Any pros and cons on either place please...? :biggrin:

Many thanks

Chantel

Thats great news Chantel and now you can start looking at suburbs, houses etc, plus Cairns is only a flight away so you can visit in the holidays.

Guest Chantel
Thats great news Chantel and now you can start looking at suburbs, houses etc, plus Cairns is only a flight away so you can visit in the holidays.

Thank you :wubclub: We have found a school and homed in on surrounding suburbs, very excited! Now we just need hubby's partner visa granted and some steady employment!

How's things going for you?

Chantel

• 2 months later...
Cairns all the way, way too much crime on the GC in fact it's quite scary. Every day there is a shooting/armed robbery/ramraid/machete attack/knife attack, just read the gold coast bulletin!

Has been 20 shootings near me in the UK since Christmas. Only found that out yesterday. Doesnt affect me or my daily routine whatsoever. Happens eveywhere. Drug factories being raided in nice suburban houses in nice roads. The most prestigious area near me with multi million pound houses that attract the top premiership footballers is renowned for cocaine supply and general drug abuse. Happens in every town, village, city on the planet. None of which affetcs my day to day living.

Cairns will have its problems. GC will have its problems. So what? People get hit by cars and buses. Does that stop you driving or crossing the road? People get eaten by sharks or drown. Does that stop you having a paddle? OK for some maybe but do we really need to lock ourselves indoors until the rampaging mobs have gone?

Cairns is fantastic but to me limited for family/work but the access to the GBR for diving is second to none but GC for me. Only because it has much more to offer me and mine over Cairns. North and South of GC is fantastic. Brisbane and the sunshine coast not too far away and even Byron Bay isnt too far.

Edited by Jackinabox

G'day peoples. :em3600:

I was born in Perth but have spent most of my life in England. I am returning to Australia this year with my husband and my son. Thing is, we can't decide between Cairns (Which looks simply stunning and never gets cold) and the Gold Coast (which may have more opportunities and things to do for teens). Any pros and cons on either place please...? :biggrin:

Many thanks

Chantel

never been to oz--but from what i've been hearing the gold coast sounds a better option; also there is gold in the name:wink:!

Not much work around Sunshine Coast, i have been out of work since returning from trip to UK in Nov11. I have applied for countless jobs and not even had a call back or interview in all that time. i may have to move to find work soon. But yes it is a lovely area, very quiet. I have lived here three years and haven't been out in Brisbane once as the last train to leave Brisbane Central to get me home on a Fri or Sat night is at about 9.30pm there are later trains but they only go as far as Caboolture and my suberb is another 30km north and taxis is not an option as i think would cost a fortune!

I went to a job expo the other day and there were 1000s of people checking it out, so that shows me that there is very little work around here at the moment.

Guest pallants

Hi, I'm from the uk and myself,hubby n kids 5 and 10 are planning on making GC our home by the end of the year. We activated our visa's in March and stayed 3 weeks . In that time we drove up to sunshine coast and took a flight to cairns as it looked amazing and wanted to experience the great barrier reef. personally, i preferred Gold coast as some where to live ....just move somewhere where not too touristy and Brisbane is not too far to comute as jobs are scarce on GC we liked an area called Coomera / upper coomera and pimpma.The theme parks and beaches etc only 10/20 mins drive . Cairns although lovely, seemed to be a back packers place ! But like i say , cairns is beautiful and glad we went to see it. ;)

Emma . x