Cairns or Gold Coast???

Guest Chantel

Guest Chantel

G'day peoples. :em3600:

I was born in Perth but have spent most of my life in England. I am returning to Australia this year with my husband and my son. Thing is, we can't decide between Cairns (Which looks simply stunning and never gets cold) and the Gold Coast (which may have more opportunities and things to do for teens). Any pros and cons on either place please...? :biggrin:

Many thanks

Chantel

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest SupportPants
G'day peoples. :em3600:

I was born in Perth but have spent most of my life in England. I am returning to Australia this year with my husband and my son. Thing is, we can't decide between Cairns (Which looks simply stunning and never gets cold) and the Gold Coast (which may have more opportunities and things to do for teens). Any pros and cons on either place please...? :biggrin:

Many thanks

Chantel

Do you have work lined up? Both Cairns and the Gold Coast are nice areas but both are struggling economically as the tourism industry is having a hard time. Cairns for half the year is extremely hot and humid and life is more of a dash into air conditioning than an outdoors lifestyle - then it rains (hard) - which is sort of pleasant!

Guest Chantel

Thanks guys. My husband is thinking that because of the floods (especially the current ones) and the cyclones (the forcasted ones) we should maybe look to go back to Perth! I love Perth, but it is missing that wow factor of beauty for me! :goofy: I am confused! lol

Guest Chantel
Do you have work lined up? Both Cairns and the Gold Coast are nice areas but both are struggling economically as the tourism industry is having a hard time. Cairns for half the year is extremely hot and humid and life is more of a dash into air conditioning than an outdoors lifestyle - then it rains (hard) - which is sort of pleasant!

We are looking into work at the moment. My husband is in Computers, and I would like to work and train, either as a midwife or in the great out doors with animals. Nothing is lined up yet though, but we are looking. Which state currently has the strongest economy and work opportunities? from the google search it looks as though WA is pretty up there on that front?

Thanks

Chantel

Guest Sir Les Patterson
Cairns for half the year is extremely hot and humid and life is more of a dash into air conditioning than an outdoors lifestyle - then it rains (hard) - which is sort of pleasant!

Try two and a half months

We are looking into work at the moment. My husband is in Computers, and I would like to work and train, either as a midwife or in the great out doors with animals. Nothing is lined up yet though, but we are looking. Which state currently has the strongest economy and work opportunities? from the google search it looks as though WA is pretty up there on that front?

Thanks

Chantel

He's not a gremlin...is he??

Errr.... Couldn't help myself.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...

When I went to Cairns I found it a bit TOO 'nothing ish' for me (not offence Cairns people!) The Gold Coast was not my cup of tea either as that is just like being in Florida! ie loads of teenagers, and VERY 'touristy' - Both areas do have beautiful spots but they are so different it is hard to know what you're looking for?

Guest haunted1234

I love Cairns! been here a couple of months with my 2 kids 12 and 11..... don't know about there being no opportunities as the paper is full of jobs in the area....i was offered work in my chosen field within a week albeit releif work but still was an offer......however i didn't take it as hubby breadwinning while i settle the kids!

never been to Gold Coast so cant really compare...im from uk and haven't struggled with the humidity, dont find it as hot as some locals..... my 12 year old hates the heat and hasn't moaned once.....we only put the aircon on an hour before bed....rest of time fans, open windows or the pool :o)

The city centre itself is ok, but the surrounding suburbs, Redlynch Caravonica etc are beautiful, close enough to Cairns for shopping/Lagoon but far enough away from the hustle and bustle (not that it's even that hustly and bustly)! we moved here having never even visited and knew nobody! 8 weeks in, the kids have made friends, as have my husband and I....i haven't looked back :o)

Hi Chantel, we're in Cairns and love it here and the climates not as severe as it's made out to be. Yes it's very humid for a couple of months, but the other 9/10 it's fine and as for wet season, it's not like it rains every day, it's really not that big an issue and certainly not a deal breaker. Having said that however, it's really not a hot bed for IT and it would be a big move to make without a job lined up. A couple who were a few doors down from us moved here from Perth a few months ago, she was highly qualified but couldn't get a job in her field and they ended up moving down to Brisbane after being here around 4/5 months due to the job situation.

Guest The Pom Queen

Another vote for Cairns, people go on about the humidity but it's only bad for a couple of months. The wet season hasn't even been wet this year. Hope the rain comes soon as we need it to cool down a little. There is so much to do up here and it's classed as the adventure capital of Australia and from what we have found this is right.

Guest Chantel
Hi Chantel, we're in Cairns and love it here and the climates not as severe as it's made out to be. Yes it's very humid for a couple of months, but the other 9/10 it's fine and as for wet season, it's not like it rains every day, it's really not that big an issue and certainly not a deal breaker. Having said that however, it's really not a hot bed for IT and it would be a big move to make without a job lined up. A couple who were a few doors down from us moved here from Perth a few months ago, she was highly qualified but couldn't get a job in her field and they ended up moving down to Brisbane after being here around 4/5 months due to the job situation.

Hello,

thank you so much for your feedback. Everything that you have told me is exactly how I thought it would be. :wubclub: I would really, really, really, really, like to live in Cairns, but over time my husband has become as concerned that I would be sentencing him to early retirement as he is that our house would be blown away. I believe that far North QLD would be a very heavenly and exciting place to live, but he seems to think that it is for retirees and would be bored. So, with that he had me considering the Gold Coast. I was just starting to warm to the idea when news of all the serious flooding came about which made him even more nervous than he was about cyclones and pensioners! :wacko: So then we were back to square 1...which state and city do we move to...? So, now the inevitable predictable has happened, we are going back to my birth place of Perth (why did your neighbors move from there?) which, as I remember is a very, very lovely city and a great place to live, but Cairns just looks soooooo beautiful!!! We will be happy there though I am sure, and we will know people, but rest assured, we WILL be coming to visit Cairns at every opportunity!!! :yes:

Chantel

Guest Chantel
Try the Sunshine Coast - its great!

Hello, we looked at the sunshine coast, but my husband and I both agreed that it looks a bit too quiet for us. Is that where you are? how do you find living there? Chantel

Guest Chantel
I love Cairns! been here a couple of months with my 2 kids 12 and 11..... don't know about there being no opportunities as the paper is full of jobs in the area....i was offered work in my chosen field within a week albeit releif work but still was an offer......however i didn't take it as hubby breadwinning while i settle the kids!

never been to Gold Coast so cant really compare...im from uk and haven't struggled with the humidity, dont find it as hot as some locals..... my 12 year old hates the heat and hasn't moaned once.....we only put the aircon on an hour before bed....rest of time fans, open windows or the pool :o)

The city centre itself is ok, but the surrounding suburbs, Redlynch Caravonica etc are beautiful, close enough to Cairns for shopping/Lagoon but far enough away from the hustle and bustle (not that it's even that hustly and bustly)! we moved here having never even visited and knew nobody! 8 weeks in, the kids have made friends, as have my husband and I....i haven't looked back :o)

Oohhhhhhhhh I want to go to Cairns!!!! :wacko: Do you think that my husband would be bored? lol He is 35, British Jamaican, and IT technician, and a musician...! thank you so much for your response as well. Chantel

Guest Chantel
He's not a gremlin...is he??

Errr.... Couldn't help myself.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha he is a technician! hahahahahahahahahahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Guest Chantel
When I went to Cairns I found it a bit TOO 'nothing ish' for me (not offence Cairns people!) The Gold Coast was not my cup of tea either as that is just like being in Florida! ie loads of teenagers, and VERY 'touristy' - Both areas do have beautiful spots but they are so different it is hard to know what you're looking for?

Hello,

that is what my husband is concerned about - the nothingness! then we thought the Gold Coast (we like Florida, we have relies there) would also be great for our 14 year old son as well with the theme parks and all.

I guess Cairns is a bit like Barbados, and Gold Coast, as you say, is a bit like Florida....I would prefer the Caribbean aspect, but could live with Florida.

Guest The Pom Queen
Oohhhhhhhhh I want to go to Cairns!!!! :wacko: Do you think that my husband would be bored? lol He is 35, British Jamaican, and IT technician, and a musician...! thank you so much for your response as well. Chantel

He would struggle with IT work but there should be a few opportunities available in his other trade. It's funny you said Cairns is for retired people as I said the other day that I have hardly seen any old people around, well you go in to Cairns I would say the average age group is 21 - 30 most of these are backpackers, holiday makers etc. I am not sure if your OH is in to diving, hand gliding, parachuting, quad biking, bungee jumping etc but there are plenty of things to keep him busy. I just wish my kids would find it boring as they cost me a fortune.

Guest Chantel
He would struggle with IT work but there should be a few opportunities available in his other trade. It's funny you said Cairns is for retired people as I said the other day that I have hardly seen any old people around, well you go in to Cairns I would say the average age group is 21 - 30 most of these are backpackers, holiday makers etc. I am not sure if your OH is in to diving, hand gliding, parachuting, quad biking, bungee jumping etc but there are plenty of things to keep him busy. I just wish my kids would find it boring as they cost me a fortune.

Ooooooooooooh!!! looool I weally, weallly, wealllly (cute voice) want to go to Cairns!!!!!!!! You describe it just as I imagine it to be! :arghh: loooooool

Guest Chantel

May I ask....why are you 'moving to Melbourne'? :cute:

Hi we live on the Gold Coast and love it if you move away from Surfers you don't have the teenagers its nice to go for the day etc We live around Runaway Bay area witch is south of Brisbane have been here about 3yrs never had any floods we do get rain in the rainy season as its tropical but most people have to travel to Brisbane for work which is a hassle ( ask my OH ) We were in Cairns for a holiday and its lovely but I know it can get very hot in the summer not sure about work up there but personally everywhere in Aus is nice its just finding what is right for you and your family, A lot of people think this part of the GC is for oldies but there are lots of Theme Parks which the kids love Hope you find the place for you Good Luck xEvelyn

Guest The Pom Queen
May I ask....why are you 'moving to Melbourne'? :cute:

Lol I lived in Melbourne for nearly 8 years but then moved to Cairns after visiting for a holiday we fell in love with the place, we came in June on holiday and had moved up by November, we have been here 15 months now and the kids love it and say they wouldn't go back to Melbourne ever.

Guest The Pom Queen
Ooooooooooooh!!! looool I weally, weallly, wealllly (cute voice) want to go to Cairns!!!!!!!! You describe it just as I imagine it to be! :arghh: loooooool

Well maybe you will do what we did, come over for a holiday and fall in love with the place.

Guest Chantel
Well maybe you will do what we did, come over for a holiday and fall in love with the place.

I KNOW in my heart of hearts that we would ALL love it in Cairns, I think that as long as I am still thinking about it, there is still hope! I believe that is the place for us.