Do Ozzies really think like this?

thewebweazel

When the london riots happened last year there was a facebook page called something along the lines of "they call it a riot, in australia we call it a house party". I had a look at it and there was some terrible abuse towards people from the UK. I would say the nicest of it was going on about how much they hate poms etc, a lot of it was much worse. At first i thought do they really hate us coming over and i was worried i might experience the same sort of reaction when im over. Then i realised this is just a small group of people, and probably acting up more because its over a computer. The australians i've met have been lovely and im really hoping i fit into the ozzie lifestyle!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don´t think I have ever met any Australian´s but my OH says that the one´s he has spoken to since starting our migration process have been nothing other than pleasant and more than helpful, he has said that he get´s the impression that they are all friendly, and to be honest this is exactly what I am thinking myself.

I have a couple of very close friends who are from New Zealand, one still lives there and one lives in the UK and I must say that they are probably two of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet, I know NZ is not OZ but similar in many ways.

I always take people as I find them, and if I like someone I like them, and if I don´t / and they don´t like me then that´s their loss, because I am a nice person to know :wink:

Not trying to be patronising at all. What's the answer though? Likewise, I don't get why Brits get so annoyed at people coming to this country to work and live. History is all about immigration. That's what makes our country the way it is. It's not their fault our government can't manage money properly. What have the Romans ever done for us...etc.

Evidently 200+ years of history is enough for some 21yo's to feel attached to a place. Who would have thought. :) As you say the same arguments about the less educated or more spiteful part of the demographic attacking the immigrant rather than the policy is the same in both countries without bringing the original comment into it. With one in four born overseas we have far more immigrants than most western countries so the same stupidity as everywhere else is bound to popup.

as long as the FI bit is before the FO, i have to say i agree.

a lot of the strain that is caused with migration into the uk is due to people segregating themselves from the community and forging comunities of their own.

there are parts of the uk known as sharia law zones, and people who have lived in the uk for many years and dont speak a word of english.

im not saying they are not welcome, far from it, but a little effort to integrate would be apreciated.

if im coming to australia, i intend to become an australian, and any sacrifices to achieve that should be mine.

if the country as a whole is good enough to welcome me, it is the least i can do!

i hope not to have to explain that too much when im in australia though.

You get good and bad where-ever you go in this world, if not universe. There is no understanding it, or making sense of it, because it doesn't make any sense, its just people. Live and let live imho, if they want to think that it won't bother me, I'll just turn the other check and ignore it, because at the end of the day the only person who is going to get upset about it is me, they certainly wouldn't care if I took it to task. I experienced quite a bit of racism towards me when I moved to NZ, and whilst I found it a bit of a shock, as I wasn't expecting it, I certainly didn't upset me - stupid peoples can be found all over the place, whether they be racist, sexist, fatist, or any other -ist. So it won't upset me if we experience it in Oz, we'll just find people who think more like us to hang with :)

If you don't give racism a voice in my experience it tends to putter out, much like most forms of bullying. (Not giving it a voice btw is different from ignoring it or pretending its not happening).

You get good and bad where-ever you go in this world, if not universe. There is no understanding it, or making sense of it, because it doesn't make any sense, its just people. Live and let live imho, if they want to think that it won't bother me, I'll just turn the other check and ignore it, because at the end of the day the only person who is going to get upset about it is me, they certainly wouldn't care if I took it to task. I experienced quite a bit of racism towards me when I moved to NZ, and whilst I found it a bit of a shock, as I wasn't expecting it, I certainly didn't upset me - stupid peoples can be found all over the place, whether they be racist, sexist, fatist, or any other -ist. So it won't upset me if we experience it in Oz, we'll just find people who think more like us to hang with :)

If you don't give racism a voice in my experience it tends to putter out, much like most forms of bullying. (Not giving it a voice btw is different from ignoring it or pretending its not happening).

Positive Pixie ............... great minds think alike .............. I posted something very similar early ................ I am sure we would get on if we me ................ :cute:

My thoughts more or less, if we let them know we are annoyed / upset they will do it all the more, it is a bit like bullies..... just ignore them .............. eventually they will get the message that no one give´s a rat´s ass about their silly comments, if they see that they are goading us they will do it even more ............. I know it isn´t nice, but just leave them to it, it takes a certain small minded person to behave in such an uncultivated and ignorant manner, and we on PIO are neither uncultivated or ignorant ........

Guest sh7t man no way

i also think aussies lack a certain belief within themselves,and this sometimes can be reagarded as rudeness/arrogance--which brings out the homophobic side of them--bless them--its best to ignore this,and not to respond to this--they dont like it up them--im lead to believe--still all in all there not a bad bunch i feel:happy_face_mummy_go

I think this hits the nail on the head. Australians tend to be far more direct than us (mostly) quietly reserved British! It doesn't necessarily mean they're in the wrong but they can sometimes seem a little egocentric as a nation.... but then that is their right I suppose. Don't get me wrong I am very aware of being a guest in this country and do not wish to offend anyone but this thread seems to relate quite well with another running at this moment!

Question is When do you stop being a guest?

I don't like overt displays of nationalism, except at sporting events. Yesterday there were so many cars festooned with multiple Aussie flags it verged on offensive. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like this and that many Australians feel the same.

I cannot help but detect an undercurrent of the FIFO attitude to such nationalistic behaviour. However I agree that there are probably just as many racists in the uk. I think it goes with the territory of not being well travelled or well educated, breeding generations of narrow minded racists.

I don't like overt displays of nationalism, except at sporting events. Yesterday there were so many cars festooned with multiple Aussie flags it verged on offensive. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like this and that many Australians feel the same

For heavens sake it was AUSTRALIA day. The flags are just a bit of fun.

I don't like overt displays of nationalism, except at sporting events. Yesterday there were so many cars festooned with multiple Aussie flags it verged on offensive.

Why??????? Why did you find it offensive that an Australian celebrates his country? Is it because you see "flag flying' as in some way similar to the stcikers being discussed? If you do, then the problem surely lies with you and not the flag wavers.

FYI, I saw many cars flying the flag who's occupants were from many different nationalities. Do they offend you and if so why?

Guest Guest16631

.........have found Australians on the whole.........more accommodating of different nationalities...........this was something one of the family's who went home commented on..............that at least in the uk she was unlikely to have someone of a different ethnic background live next door.............as they tended to stick to their own areas..............where as here there was a more mixed neighborhood...............and some types wouldn't be tolerated in certain areas...............I have put it a little more politely..............and personally don't know if the uk situation is still true....( it was IMO many years ago) .............but I think the racist Australians are a minority...................ime

True but I haven't seen any cars with Bumper stickers like this driving around the UK! Maybe it's just because Ozzies are more outspoken, which in my mind is a good thing. Its still unpleasant though!

In a way it's a reflection of how things were in the past. Some may call it outspoken others amoung us perhaps prefer to call it crass. It wouldn't take too much for some ugly reactions surface if certain opinions take hold.

How migration is managed especially in numbers allowed in need to be carefully managed. As i have written before i have in recent times hears rumblings from some locals with regards to migrants and 457s displacing them from jobs or so the perceptions appear to be in their minds.

What we really don't want is the rise in status of what used to be known as the Ocker,which now seems to have lost out to the term Bogan. Means much the same. Loud,Corse, Tough,Violent, Hates Foreigners especially dark ones,but any one looking or speaking different is judged a fair target.

I still recall scribbles over the walls of the Old Swan Brewery where I worked for awhile when in Perth decades ago as a backpacker.

Rid Australia of Vermin.....Plant a Pom.....

Guest guest17301

At the end of the day...people can think what they like, down to them, just steer clear....you'll get rascism in any country...I feel i have as much right to live here as any Australian born here...take a bit more than being called a POM to make me feel unwelcome. We're all citizens of the world and no person has any more right than any othe to live anywhere is how I think. Same as in UK, just because I was born there doesnt give me more rights than an immigrant from Poland or Nigeria for that matter. Live and let live.....theres more of that here than in the UK for sure....

.........have found Australians on the whole.........more accommodating of different nationalities...........this was something one of the family's who went home commented on..............that at least in the uk she was unlikely to have someone of a different ethnic background live next door.............as they tended to stick to their own areas..............where as here there was a more mixed neighborhood...............and some types wouldn't be tolerated in certain areas...............I have put it a little more politely..............and personally don't know if the uk situation is still true....( it was IMO many years ago) .............but I think the racist Australians are a minority...................ime

Australia has without doubt come a long way on this issue over the decades. I have heard all is far from roses in all areas and believe me when I say some folk of different origins still live in fear in certain suburbs.

Perhaps another thing to consider also is that in todays Australia so many don't know their neighbour as may not have been the case in recent history. Hence as long as the neighbour behaves and follows local norms less care is given with regards to where the person comes from.

A number of English do have a very parochial sense of neighbourhood. Even family of mine thought it to be a possible issue of sorts when an Indian family moved two doors down from them in a quiet part of Surrey. That was back in the eighties though and while not exactley racist not welcoming either. Rather sad.

At the end of the day...people can think what they like, down to them, just steer clear....you'll get rascism in any country...I feel i have as much right to live here as any Australian born here...take a bit more than being called a POM to make me feel unwelcome. We're all citizens of the world and no person has any more right than any othe to live anywhere is how I think. Same as in UK, just because I was born there doesnt give me more rights than an immigrant from Poland or Nigeria for that matter. Live and let live.....theres more of that here than in the UK for sure....

The difficultty lies in trying to convince a Redneck,Ocker,Bogan your rights as a world citizen. Chances are they won't give a lot of thought to your theory about the equality of all mankind.

Neither I expect would the skinhead bovver booted England loving chav with nationalistic tendancies.

Guest Sir Les Patterson
I don't like overt displays of nationalism, except at sporting events. Yesterday there were so many cars festooned with multiple Aussie flags it verged on offensive. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling like this and that many Australians feel the same.

I don't fly the flag on Australia day as I had enough of flag waving in the Army and the RAAF. However if people want to do it......go for it.......it's their right in a democracy.

I was once asked on these forums if I hated Poms........I said no way (I live with an ex Pom).............just can't cop the whinging and the stupid ones

Guest guest17301
The difficultty lies in trying to convince a Redneck,Ocker,Bogan your rights as a world citizen. Chances are they won't give a lot of thought to your theory about the equality of all mankind.

Neither I expect would the skinhead bovver booted England loving chav with nationalistic tendancies.

Thats the whole point, I wouldnt even try (or care) Of course they wont give it any thought, thats why theyre rednecks! Rednecks, Ockers, fascists call them what you like....they exist in every race, colour and creed. We'll never change that. The best thing to do is not to give them any airtime.

has me stumped why anyone would think so unless they assume that all flag wavers are nationalisic racists :goofy:

I rather like flags but all flags. The World Football Cup I attended was great partly due to all the displays of national colours in the form of flags and other forms of display from the hundreds of thousands of fans.

Prior to that event though Germany was not a country where the flag was clearly visible.The World Cup allowed Germans to display their colours again as any other nation would. Folk would indeed have been regarded as nationalists and censored by others.The flag has the potential to be a powerful form of nationalistic display.

That is the reason the flag should be inclusive to all and not hijacked by racist elements.

Us Brits flew the Aussie flag on Australia day :)

I have had no isses at all except the first month we were here. Everyoe else has been lovely, most 'love' our accents..

The only issues we had was we moved from ice and snow to summer heat and I didnt drink enough, got bad stomach pains and had too go to hopsital. It ended up being embarassing and me needing more fluids but I left with the nurse saying always wanted to tell you Pommies, your full of ****!!!

( we did laugh though!)

My daughter experienced it in her old school here.

The teacher announced the English were stupid and mocked the english sayings!!! during a lesson in English???

Knowing my daughter had just emigrated and was in her class...