child benefit and rent assistance in Oz

redditchcouple

Now this isn't aimed directly at the OP. However, why are you thinking of what you can get from the government in benefits?? Why not work like the rest of us? If you cannot find work then clean windows etc?

Sorry but it really gets my back up! Why should the tax payer whether it is in the UK or Australia pay for you?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now this isn't aimed directly at the OP. However, why are you thinking of what you can get from the government in benefits?? Why not work like the rest of us? If you cannot find work then clean windows etc?

Sorry but it really gets my back up! Why should the tax payer whether it is in the UK or Australia pay for you?

People who work can qualify for family assistance and rent assistance if they rent, it is a benefit paid to all tax payers and is means tested. This benefit is not for dossers, but an helping hand for people who work hard and have children, them children will one day grow up and pay taxes and help keep people like you, ie their taxes will help keep the healthcare going, pensions been paid, etc etc

Some people claim the tax benefit UNTIL they find work here, not all are privledged enough to have a job waiting for them when they step off a plane. As a new migrant you cant claim unemployment benefit so the family tax really does help and in a way is a form of child allowance that everyone in the UK gets.

Sorry but if you were offered a payment every fortnight , i think you would be crazy to turn around and say 'No you keep it and i will just struggle''. Ive yet to meet one person who has refused to accept the child allowance in the UK .

Cal x

Guest Kangroo

Hi Everyone,

Can someone pls help with the steps involved to apply for family / child assistance? If one is newly arrived family on a PR visa, I understand that I have to get Tax file no.

Can I apply online at centerlink for family / child assistance or do I have to go in person? How do they calculate your benefits if you are newly arrived immigrant? Do they use you backhome salary / what?

Thanks for sharing.

Guest jilkfree1978
I work, but if I am entitled to any child benefit will claim.

Yes and by what you have written is you are living in Australia and still claiming 130 pound a fortnight benefits in the UK for the past 2 and a half months, are you going to stop claiming? I dont believe you have just forgotten this not for that long, what you are doing is illegal, they will catch you. And I cant believe that you are boasting about it on a forum.

Edited by jilkfree1978

Hi Everyone,

Can someone pls help with the steps involved to apply for family / child assistance? If one is newly arrived family on a PR visa, I understand that I have to get Tax file no.

Can I apply online at centerlink for family / child assistance or do I have to go in person? How do they calculate your benefits if you are newly arrived immigrant? Do they use you backhome salary / what?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi you can either go into a Centrelink or apply on line. They base it over 12 mths and at the end of every tax year either they pay you any underpayment or you return any over payment. I prefer to recieve a payment from them,lol so always over calcualte our earnings a little.

If neither of you ,yet have jobs you will more than like;y recieve a maximum payment so its definately worth notifying them as soon as your earning and you know know how much is coming in.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Yes and by what you have written is you are living in Australia and still claiming 130 pound a fortnight benefits in the UK for the past 2 and a half months, are you going to stop claiming? I dont believe you have just forgotten this not for that long, what you are doing is illegal, they will catch you. And I cant believe that you are boasting about it on a forum.

Im sure i read on here that if your not on a PR visa you can still claim UK child benefit for a certain period of time after leaving the country. As i say its only what i read on here a while ago, ive no personal experience of this so not what the time scale is etc

Cal x

We have been here since January and my OH has struggled to get a job. We went to Centrelink and are now getting the maximum for family assistance payments and rent allowance. After a couple of months I telephoned them to make them aware of our situation ie no money coming in and three children to support and they then rushed the payments through and backdated it to the date we registered ie not the date we arrived in the country. They have also sent me a Health card which entitles me and my family to reduced prescriptions. My daughter also has a free bus pass to go to and from school. However when my husband gets a job we need to inform them straight away so that we do not owing them money at the end of the financial year. Hope this helps.

Really angry at your interpretation of what I wrote. I got my job offer mid jan and had to arrange moving house, applying for visas and the. rriving in uk end of feb and setti g up house whilst working full time. Plus having teo babies under three!!Simply forgot about UK child benefit and also AUS. Hold benefit until now. Was. It. Lasting and would. Ever keep something not belonging to me!!Would hand a fiver in to police station. How on earth did you get. Pasting about ripping off child benefit from " must get on to it!"

Edited by Playghirl
Typo

People who work can qualify for family assistance and rent assistance if they rent, it is a benefit paid to all tax payers and is means tested. This benefit is not for dossers, but an helping hand for people who work hard and have children, them children will one day grow up and pay taxes and help keep people like you, ie their taxes will help keep the healthcare going, pensions been paid, etc etc

It is the 'mindset'' that bothers me the most ie. what can I get??? In this country and in the UK. Why should the taxpayer pay for people who have not contributed to the system? Don't get me wrong I have been on the bread line many times in my life but not once have I thought ''what benefit can I get''. I have thought '' how many more hours can I work?' It stops people actively looking for work.