child benefit and rent assistance in Oz

redditchcouple

I'm assuming that the "family tax supplements" that you've been informed about are actually the family tax benefit............no different than what the tax allowances used to be for families with children (in the UK) way back when..............no milk tokens though :biggrin:

No, the supplement is a supplement payment you get at the tax end of year. Basically it's a one off "bonus" type payment and withheld until tax returns are done. If you owe them money when they reconcile, they take it from the supplement initially before setting up payment plans with you. If the reconciliation is in your favour and you owe them no money then you get the supplement payment like a bonus, in addition to your fortnightly family tax benefit payments.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the supplement is a supplement payment you get at the tax end of year. Basically it's a one off "bonus" type payment and withheld until tax returns are done. If you owe them money when they reconcile, they take it from the supplement initially before setting up payment plans with you. If the reconciliation is in your favour and you owe them no money then you get the supplement payment like a bonus, in addition to your fortnightly family tax benefit payments.

Not as I know it, unless I'm mistaken. The "supplement" is included infamily tax benefit A and B................the "supplement" paid at the end of the tax year is the difference between what you have been paid, and what you are actually due (based on your tax return) ie if you have been underpaid, then you receive what's owed as a 'supplementary payment'...............it is actually Family tax benefit owed to you, not another benefit. It's simply a payment (part of FT A and B) that is "held back" till the end of the year to correct over, or underpayments during the year.

Edited by Johndoe

Not as I know it, unless I'm mistaken. The "supplement" is included infamily tax benefit A and B................the "supplement" paid at the end of the tax year is the difference between what you have been paid, and what you are actually due (based on your tax return) ie if you have been underpaid, then you receive what's owed as a 'supplementary payment'...............it is actually Family tax benefit owed to you, not another benefit. It's simply a payment (part of FT A and B) that is "held back" till the end of the year to correct over, or underpayments during the year.

Er, yes, that is my understanding too, only clearly you explain it far better than I do. It is a supplement payment in that it isn't part of your fortnightly pay, it's a one off at the end of the year assuming you don't owe them money. It is a supplement of the Family Tax in that it isn't a separate benefit, but it is a separate payment to you as you get it in a one off in addition to your fortnightly payment (as long as you don't owe them after reconciliation).

I suppose "bonus" type payment is the wrong way to describe it but I personally always treat it like a "bonus" and use it to pay our annual insurances. :biglaugh:

Hi, not sure if anyone knows, but when I rang up to see if we got any child benefit here in Australia, they said we were not entitled to anything at all. We are staying in WA, here on a 176 visa. Thanks

If you're a permanent resident, then you're entitled...................perhpas your definition of the payment confused them................it isn't "child benefit" but "family tax benefit/supplement"

I kind of worded it, as "do we get any family assistance", as I thought that was what it was called, so maybe it was my wording that confused matters. I was on the phone asking about the rebate that is available for childcare costs.

I will give the centre link a call tomorrow, thanks.

I kind of worded it, as "do we get any family assistance", as I thought that was what it was called, so maybe it was my wording that confused matters. I was on the phone asking about the rebate that is available for childcare costs.

I will give the centre link a call tomorrow, thanks.

You'll be pleasantly surprised with luck.

good luck

kev

I can't understand the website, I've just had a look, it mentions stuff about depending on wages etc. I am happy either way if we get it or not, but obviously if there is more money to be had, am happy to have it! If you know a link I could read, that would be fab. X

I can't understand the website, I've just had a look, it mentions stuff about depending on wages etc. I am happy either way if we get it or not, but obviously if there is more money to be had, am happy to have it! If you know a link I could read, that would be fab. X

Did you look at the Family Assistance website? There's a list of all the different payments on there.

http://www.familyassist.gov.au/payments/

Most payments are calculated on your income But there's an online calculator on their site that you can play with to give you an idea.

CCR (child care rebate) is not income based but you have to be eligible for CCB (child care benefit) even if at zero rate (earn too much to actually get a payment) and you also have to meet the 15hour work/study/training test. CCR is 50% of your out of pocket costs.

Sent via Tapatalk

Am I right in saying that if you come over on a Temp 457 Visa, then get PR you are then NOT entitled to claim anything for 2 years from the date PR was granted?

No. Once PR is granted, you are entitled to claim family tax benefit and rent assistance which is why I reccomend that where possible, folk should try for PR as opposed to 457, particulalry if your jobe (such as nursing) is always in demand.

jurls has given you a good answer. Most folk, unless on a very high income, qualify for some family tax rebate

• 3 weeks later...

Is this not means/asset tested at all? We will be coming over leaving out property and most of our cash in the UK. I tried the calculator on the Centrelink site and it was totally based on income? It said I would get Family benefit A and B, as well as rent assistance, totaling $900 a month. This would help greatly until I find a job there.

Guest Brissydeb
If you're a permanent resident, then you're entitled...................perhpas your definition of the payment confused them................it isn't "child benefit" but "family tax benefit/supplement"

Hi, please excuse me for `butting in' but do the benefits vary from state to state? It seems as though Queensland is more `giving' than Perth. We still are unsure between Perth & GC.

Thanks

Deb

I wonder what we would be entitled to as a family of 3 (8 yr old) and 2 parents? I am a citizen and o/h has a partner visa which gives him PR. We will be finding jobs when we arrive so not sure what we would be entitled to, depends if we both work and how much we would earn, or if 1 works and the other doesn't?

I think i am right in saying that on a PR you cannot claim unemployment benefit, but if i am unemployed (citizen) then can i claim if out of work??

Need to learn about the benefits, centrelink etc.......:err:

Hi, please excuse me for `butting in' but do the benefits vary from state to state? It seems as though Queensland is more `giving' than Perth. We still are unsure between Perth & GC.

Thanks

Deb

No, Centrelink is an agency of the Australian (Federal) government, so benefits apply regardless of where you live in Australia.

I have been here 2 1/2 months and will brave the centre link tomorrow for first time to see what if any benefits I qualify for....still getting my 130 pound from UK I didn't think to tell them I have

migrated. Better get on to that.