To go or not to go???

Guest HayleyJ

I think it being the summer holidays for Uni students hasn't helped my cause. They should all be going back at the end of February/beginning or March so that should open things up. It's a bit dissapointing that I may be getting overlooked by Uni students who can only commit to a few months anyway. It is getting me down not having work (join the club I hear millions of others saying across the UK haha) I did have a fuc*king good swear about it all about 10 minutes ago

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HayleyJ
apply for jobs everyday and hardly hear back from them

Same here :-( but at least the weather's better over there so when you're not working you can get down the beach!

Hey mate, where are you to in Oz? How long have you been etc? Think we are the same age.

Yep we're both 28! I'm in Sydney, have been since September, with the exception of a few weeks in Perth! I found it too hot and remote there. I found work very quickly initially, but since I've come back to Sydney in February, it's been hard for a brother to find a job. Especially when regretably you don't have trade. By God, I wish I had listened to my Dad's advice 10 years ago when he said 'learn a trade son'. Instead I went down the University route and have a degree which means...well not nearly as much as having a recognised trade.

Yeah I hear you on the trade thing. I did actually retrain as a plasterer a few years back but couldn't find anyone to take me on and so would be very very rusty. I have heard a few people say thaty about Perth dude. What about labouring bud?

Our generation fell into the whole "everyone must go to Uni" wheeze which I know my school certainly trotted out. I cannot recall ONCE trades/apprecitiships being mentioned in my school in 6 years, it was all exams exams exams uni uni uni. Now I notice it is going back towards getting a trade.

Oh well bud you gotta deal with the cards you're dealt with out there. Are you with anyone out there?

Yeah I hear you on the trade thing. I did actually retrain as a plasterer a few years back but couldn't find anyone to take me on and so would be very very rusty. I have heard a few people say thaty about Perth dude. What about labouring bud?

Our generation fell into the whole "everyone must go to Uni" wheeze which I know my school certainly trotted out. I cannot recall ONCE trades/apprecitiships being mentioned in my school in 6 years, it was all exams exams exams uni uni uni. Now I notice it is going back towards getting a trade.

Oh well bud you gotta deal with the cards you're dealt with out there. Are you with anyone out there?

We all got suckered in by the last Labour Government. Tony Blair with his idea of having '50% of young people to study at University" Now we have hundreds of thousand of people with massive student debts, which will take till about 2020 to pay back.

I came here on my own. I have an uncle out here though

Guest HayleyJ

I think everyones struggling to be honest, my ex is a plasterer and the money he earns now isnt even half what he used to get, so although he is getting work hes not actually earning much. I got conned into going to uni by the head teacher where I was a teaching assistant, got a degree and was meant to go back and finish my teaching certificate with the school, then he retired, they got me covering the nursery managers maternity for a pittance, then couldn't afford to finish my training! So now I.m not properly qualified for 99% of teaching jobs, and over qualified for support jobs! I'm gonna be a waitress forever haha

Guest HayleyJ
Hey, I've bitten the bullet and have got the visa and am going on my own! Reckon it's easier for blokes but I couldn't live my life thinking 'what if?'. Just do what I did.... just book it and go! I'm going end of July and have put a multiflex on my ticket which means if I don't like it I can return anytime. But... I can never say I never did it now!!! :o) Life's too short!

Hi Lana,

Welldone for being as brave as I'm trying to be haha you will have such a good time!

How does the multiflex work? It sounds like a good idea!

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering a 12 month working holiday visa but I'm a bit worried that I may have to go alone! I've heard lots of people have done it and absolutely loved it, including my dad but that was like 30 years ago and for some reason I think it's easier for blokes! I think I would rather go with someone cos I hate being on my own! I'm trying to persuade people to come with me and I'm hoping my sister will but she can't until May at the earliest, and I would really like to get away sooner rather than later! If anyone has any advice on travelling alone (good or bad stories!), staying in hostels, getting work, making friends, anything really! I would really appreciate it :-)

Hey,

I'm here travelling on my own. I look it at it 2 ways: when you're getting on well, you can say to yourself "hey, I did this all on my own...I found accomodation, job a social life' and you could rightly feel very proud of yourself. However on the flip side, when things aren't going too well (like they are for me at the moment) you really wish you had someone else with you. It can feel very tough on your own when things aren't going right. You have to prepare yourself for the fact that you may be spending quite a bit time on your own. I guess it all depends how you are with your own company. It's a brave step to do it alone, and I admire anyone who has the courage to do it. Best of luck.

Guest guest66832

First of all relax! You will be fine and don't worry about being on your own, you will find that you are about to join the backpacking community and there will be hundreds of young people exactly like yourself all looking to make friends and have a good time.

Staying in a mixed dorm or female dorm means that you will straight away be mixing with other backpackers, and every night is backpacker night at one bar or another in the city so there will be plenty of nights out to mingle and make friends. Get a bank account and a tax file number when you arrive and sign on to a couple of good agencies such as Hays Australia for work opportunities.

It may seem daunting now, that's only natural, but after a very short while you will be fully immersed in the back packer way of life making great friends and having a great time and like a lot of people on this site, you may end up never wanting to leave!

I went on my own in 2004 and it was the best thing I ever did. I had a brilliant time and made so many friends, you'd be amazed how many people are in the same boat. The advice above about staying in mixed dorms is spot on. Force yourself to mix with people at first then it just becomes second nature. I can vividly remember my first night (flew into Darwin), I rang home in a panic and after a pep talk from my parents, I hit the hostel bar and never looked back! I also met my now husband whilst backpacking, and with one child and one on the way later, we are desperately trying to get a permanent visa to go back. Good luck, go for it!!

Guest HayleyJ
So girlies are the visas through and the flights booked yet?!?! Feel like I've missed a mahoosive chunk of everyone's planning on here while i've been too busy with boring work :(

Not yet but I'm thinking of getting it all sorted and getting out of here asap!! Had a bad week lol

Guest HayleyJ
Hey,

I'm here travelling on my own. I look it at it 2 ways: when you're getting on well, you can say to yourself "hey, I did this all on my own...I found accomodation, job a social life' and you could rightly feel very proud of yourself. However on the flip side, when things aren't going too well (like they are for me at the moment) you really wish you had someone else with you. It can feel very tough on your own when things aren't going right. You have to prepare yourself for the fact that you may be spending quite a bit time on your own. I guess it all depends how you are with your own company. It's a brave step to do it alone, and I admire anyone who has the courage to do it. Best of luck.

Hope things better better for you soon :-)