Hi to All... Hairdresser TRA / Visa advice please

Guest 2by2

Hi Everyone :smile:... Have managed to gather a fair bit of information in the last few weeks/months due to some great contributions here....thank you all for a fantastic forum.

Partner & I have decided to try and go it alone without an agent and save some $$ :unsure:.

I am a qualified electrician of 18 years but do not meet the current employment criteria having not worked full time in the trade for 4-5 years, due to this and my age (42) we are hoping to emigrate via my partners trade to WA on a SS,she is a hairdresser.

We are currently filling in the TRA skills assessment application form and are a bit confused ,if anybody can help on a few points I would be very grateful :

1) TRA application time - Approximately how long are we looking at before TRA assessment ? We are hoping to try and apply for visa before July but realise it could be too late for that deadline.

2) Employment History - Partner has 16 years experience, been in current salon for 8 years. For the previous two years her weekly hours are approx 23 hrs,will these hours count as part-time or full time ?

She has had maternity leave - will this matter ?

3) Qualifications - Qualified to NVQ level 2,currently studying for NVQ 3 - is this a problem ?

4) Work history - Does the work history description have to be in-depth and include her complete career or just current employment ?

5) References - Do these have to be in depth and does anybody have any templates which we could show to her boss ?

6) TRA Assessment - any advice on where / how this is taken and what the procedure is ?

Sorry for the long post but it seems to get more confusing the more we read......

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

2by2

Hi there I don't know if this helps but I am a hairdresser too. I have only been in the trade 3years I have my level 2 & hopefully finishing my level 3 before we go. I have been told by various people & research i.e. telephoning salons in WA to find out what they require & most say they want a Level 3, however they still do trade tests as norm like we do & if your partner has experience like you said & maybe a portfolio this will help. However, when I spoke to immigration about this they said that I definitely had to have my Level 3 as well as experience. However when I spoken to visa companies they said that my qualifications were fine. It is a case of talking it through with a good visa company like Go Matilda, I have heard they are good, & talking to the right person in immigration.

I have not had to worry to much as we are going out on a 457 visa. My partners trade doesn't meet the TRA but thankfully he has found an employer to sponsor us as family. I will then worry when I am there & prove myself to the Hairdressers there, in the meantime I'm getting my head down to get Level 3 done & compiling a portfolio.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Zara283,My partner will have completed her level3 in approx four months,as long as the TRA will accept level2 and experience then she can apply to be assessed.

Regarding the Visa ,I will have to contact the department to clarify the situation unless there are any agents on the forum who can clarify this for me ? If we have to wait for her level 3 to be completed before applying this would most likely ensure we miss the July deadline to apply,provided we can get the TRA skills test assessed in time anyway :unsure:.

Thanks again and good luck

2by2

If you look up on here someone called Alan Collett, he is from Go Matilda Visa Company he has been quite helpful with some issues I have had, you may find him on some of the threads I have done.

The whole thing is quite a mine field but it is worth it in the end!!

Good luck with your move too!!! :biggrin:

Hi Everyone :smile:... Have managed to gather a fair bit of information in the last few weeks/months due to some great contributions here....thank you all for a fantastic forum.

Partner & I have decided to try and go it alone without an agent and save some $$ :unsure:.

I am a qualified electrician of 18 years but do not meet the current employment criteria having not worked full time in the trade for 4-5 years, due to this and my age (42) we are hoping to emigrate via my partners trade to WA on a SS,she is a hairdresser.

We are currently filling in the TRA skills assessment application form and are a bit confused ,if anybody can help on a few points I would be very grateful :

1) TRA application time - Approximately how long are we looking at before TRA assessment ? We are hoping to try and apply for visa before July but realise it could be too late for that deadline.

2) Employment History - Partner has 16 years experience, been in current salon for 8 years. For the previous two years her weekly hours are approx 23 hrs,will these hours count as part-time or full time ?

She has had maternity leave - will this matter ?

3) Qualifications - Qualified to NVQ level 2,currently studying for NVQ 3 - is this a problem ?

4) Work history - Does the work history description have to be in-depth and include her complete career or just current employment ?

5) References - Do these have to be in depth and does anybody have any templates which we could show to her boss ?

6) TRA Assessment - any advice on where / how this is taken and what the procedure is ?

Sorry for the long post but it seems to get more confusing the more we read......

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

2by2

I did my husband's TRA for him a few years ago, he's a barber (but a qualified Hairdresser) so if there's anything you still need help with inbox me and I'll answer as much as I can :cute:

p.s he's only qualified to level 2 in hairdressing

Thanks for taking the time to reply princessuzy.

What type of visa did you emigrate with ? we will be trying on a 475 due to not having enough points for a 176.It means state sponsership and not PR but we dont have much time to try and beat the July deadline to apply for the visa.

How long did the TRA skills take from when you applied ? To be honest we are worried this will take too long,i have read about people still waiting to be assessed from October 2011 :no:,hence why we are trying to get the application sent by next week.

Was there any issue not having NVQ level3 ?,i have read the TRA has changed recently and am concerned that the NVQ will be needed before getting assessed.

And finally, did you use an agent ? we are trying to go it alone to save the money,have three toddlers and need every penny we can save at the moment although if it becomes too difficult we will have to consider an agent.

Thanks again for any help,i appreciate it,all seems so confusing......:confused:

We've got a 175 visa, if we did it now we'd have to get a 176 but we were lucky with the timing before they took hairdressing off the list. From sending it off to getting it back the TRA took a month, it was really quick. There was no mention about a Level 3 qualification - they'll take in to account the amount of experience aswell as qualifications. I havent been on the TRA website lately but I'll have a look and see if I can see anything.

I did our visa all by myself I'm happy to say:biggrin:.......I know those agents can charge a fortune, but for us it was pretty straightforward, its a good job I like form filling!

Thanks for taking the time to reply princessuzy.

What type of visa did you emigrate with ? we will be trying on a 475 due to not having enough points for a 176.It means state sponsership and not PR but we dont have much time to try and beat the July deadline to apply for the visa.

How long did the TRA skills take from when you applied ? To be honest we are worried this will take too long,i have read about people still waiting to be assessed from October 2011 :no:,hence why we are trying to get the application sent by next week.

Was there any issue not having NVQ level3 ?,i have read the TRA has changed recently and am concerned that the NVQ will be needed before getting assessed.

And finally, did you use an agent ? we are trying to go it alone to save the money,have three toddlers and need every penny we can save at the moment although if it becomes too difficult we will have to consider an agent.

Thanks again for any help,i appreciate it,all seems so confusing......:confused:

I do have a question, I just wondered why you need to get your visa submitted by July 2012, is there a change in something???

Hi zara283,if you read this link all will be revealed better than i can explain http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/131164-general-skilled-migration-future.html

Thanks for your advice regarding Alan Collett,i am going to contact GoMatilda for some advice.

2by2

We've got a 175 visa, if we did it now we'd have to get a 176 but we were lucky with the timing before they took hairdressing off the list. From sending it off to getting it back the TRA took a month, it was really quick. There was no mention about a Level 3 qualification - they'll take in to account the amount of experience aswell as qualifications. I havent been on the TRA website lately but I'll have a look and see if I can see anything.

I did our visa all by myself I'm happy to say:biggrin:.......I know those agents can charge a fortune, but for us it was pretty straightforward, its a good job I like form filling!

I think you done well not using an agent princessuzy,must of been a lot of research you done ! Finding the correct information seems to be difficult thats why i joined the forum,at least i can get a few ideas and links in order to look in the right places and ask the right people,i did contact an agent twice and both times they where calling me back ........still waiting :SLEEP:.I am going to contact Gomatilda who zara283 recommended,it cant hurt to have a word with them and i really dont want to miss anything & mess things up...only have one shot as we have such a tight deadline...

Can you give me any advice on what you wrote in the TRA application;Duties,tasks etc and also what details my partners boss will have to put in the employers reference ?

Also any advice on what happens during the TRA assessment,is it oral or written ?

Any advice would be a great help

Thanks

2by2

If you look up on here someone called Alan Collett, he is from Go Matilda Visa Company he has been quite helpful with some issues I have had, you may find him on some of the threads I have done.

The whole thing is quite a mine field but it is worth it in the end!!

Good luck with your move too!!! :biggrin:

Are you using Go Matilda as an agent zara283 ?

Not as of yet, Im going to try & do it alone. But when i have posted questions alan collett has replied with some useful advice. So if I get stuck I will use him & they are more up on the visa we need, alot of other agencies I have spoken too have either been rude or unhelpful as they don't deal with the farming industry. Also alot of people on here have highly recommended Go Maltida.

alot of other agencies I have spoken too have either been rude or unhelpful

I know what you mean, we are trying to go it alone,i have contacted two agents for an initial chat in the previous three weeks,one of them i called twice,they both said they would call me back....i am still waiting :SLEEP: ,puts me off spending thousands if they can't even be bothered to return a call.....there are a few other agents i have to ring who are recommended by people on the forum,hopefully they will be more helpful.

I wish you luck 2by2 it isn't easy that's for sure, let me know how you get on!!

Thanks zara283 ,if you follow this thread i will update it when i have news,will probably have more questions anyhow :biggrin:

Hi 2by2

I have had a slight breakthrough in this. I saw a friend yesterday who has qualified as an Assessor for NVQ's in Hairdressing. She was unsure if the City & Guilds NVQ certificates are recognised in Australia. So she is now going to do some digging for me. I have now contacted some agencies & hair academies in Western Australia & see what they say otherwise I could be doing my NVQ Level 3 for nothing. However I also found on some skill assessment sites that if you hold the NVQ's they will still assess you but it may mean you will have to do some courses when you get there. It is all really complicated but I will try to find out more for you. But I will be quite annoyed if it turns out to be that as I was told different by immigration :mad:

Don't know if you have had any luck in finding anything out.

Hi 2by2

I have had a slight breakthrough in this. I saw a friend yesterday who has qualified as an Assessor for NVQ's in Hairdressing. She was unsure if the City & Guilds NVQ certificates are recognised in Australia. So she is now going to do some digging for me. I have now contacted some agencies & hair academies in Western Australia & see what they say otherwise I could be doing my NVQ Level 3 for nothing. However I also found on some skill assessment sites that if you hold the NVQ's they will still assess you but it may mean you will have to do some courses when you get there. It is all really complicated but I will try to find out more for you. But I will be quite annoyed if it turns out to be that as I was told different by immigration :mad:

Don't know if you have had any luck in finding anything out.

You pass the TRA with NVQ's so they are recognised....they just call them something else over there. Hairdressers as far as I know have to do a test in WA, nowhere else in oz. that's nothing to do with your qualifications it's so you're good enough to do it.

You pass the TRA with NVQ's so they are recognised....they just call them something else over there. Hairdressers as far as I know have to do a test in WA, nowhere else in oz. that's nothing to do with your qualifications it's so you're good enough to do it.

the hairdressing registrataion board was disbanded some time ago , you no longer have to sit your exam for hairdressing registration licence , which was just a rip off any way , in my 29 years of hairdressing here , i never saw them help hairdressers in any way .

the hairdressing registrataion board was disbanded some time ago , you no longer have to sit your exam for hairdressing registration licence , which was just a rip off any way , in my 29 years of hairdressing here , i never saw them help hairdressers in any way .

How have you found it there hairdressing??? Do they really not help anyone???

I am worried now, in case what I am doing isn't recognised.................. and I was told it would be by immigration so I passed this information onto 2by2 who started this thread & now I'm worried I passed on the wrong info & been told wrong. It is all a bit confusing as to what is allowed & what isn't.

princessuzy - is this test done with immigration or the hairdressers board in WA do you know???

How have you found it there hairdressing??? Do they really not help anyone???

I am worried now, in case what I am doing isn't recognised.................. and I was told it would be by immigration so I passed this information onto 2by2 who started this thread & now I'm worried I passed on the wrong info & been told wrong. It is all a bit confusing as to what is allowed & what isn't.

princessuzy - is this test done with immigration or the hairdressers board in WA do you know???

Why would you think what your doing isnt recognised?? as I said people pass TRA with NVQ's, they have to be recognised there......the Australian equivalent is an AQF from what I can gather, nothing you're doing is going to go to waste. It's irrelevant about the hairdressing test if they've got rid of it now, so I wouldn't waste any more time thinking about it to be honest. I think the trick is is not to read too much, I know thats difficult when you're trying to gather info but if you have the TRA forms and visa forms in front of you, well, just give them what they ask for and see what they say. Im not the brightest bulb in the box but I did my homework, filled out the forms....more homework, more forms and we got our visa. I think you can worry about it a bit too much and make the process seem more confusing and difficult than it is or needs to be.

ps. Different immigration agents sometimes say different things, I rang up a couple when I got a bit stuck but they both told me different....one was wrong, if I would've taken their advice we wouldnt have our visa!

I passed this information onto 2by2 who started this thread & now I'm worried I passed on the wrong info & been told wrong. It is all a bit confusing as to what is allowed & what isn't.

Hi zara283,My partner is doing her NVQ3 and says it can only help when applying for jobs,the more qualifications the better but she also said that a good salon will know within a day or two if you are up to task, qualifications or not,sometimes experience is as important as qualifications for some people,i think this is why a lot of my partners colleagues dont actually have NVQ3 but have still managed to hold down good jobs for so long.

If you intend to do your NVQ3 it just means you will be further prepared if you have to take some more courses.I should think it will still be worth completing :biggrin:

We are just hoping that her TRA skills can be assessed in good time :unsure:

ps. Different immigration agents sometimes say different things, I rang up a couple when I got a bit stuck but they both told me different....one was wrong, if I would've taken their advice we wouldnt have our visa!

I agree with this princessuzy,i finally managed to speak to an agent last week for some advice,they advised that paid maternity leave does not count towards work experience in your nominated occupation,this had us really worried because my partner has been on maternity leave twice in three years.After checking with other people and reading booklet 6 it transpired that maternity leave does count towards work experience in your nominated occupation.

My advice would be to always double check any information you do not agree with or are concerned about.I have found these forums to be of immense importance and a great source of information ,i would also advise everybody to read and download the General Skilled Migration booklet 6 here http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books6.htm

Thanks 2by2 & princessuzy

I just suddenly started to panic, I thought god I've told someone it is all ok & it might not even be!!!

I spoke to a Hair Academy in WA & they were really helpful & explained that if I have any performance gaps they will assist which is fantastic. I will have my Level 3 when I go, but I didn't want to do it & then realise it wasn't possible to use it there. God so many things.

Anyway on a lighter note continuing with it here as I know now I can use it & just keep everything I got on portfolio & show them what I can do when I get there!! God I can't wait to get out there to be completley honest!!

But I won't panic anymore just will get on with it & hope for the best :biggrin::chatterbox:

Hi im very confused, im wanting to move to oz as level 2 hairdresser which i haven't finished untill june but have 2 years salon experience,how would i stand applying to go and which Visa would i go for ? Also have family in queensland that would sponsor myself and hubby and three children,can anyone give me some advice thanks