Sign in to follow this  
Guest claire&fred

Advice required on exporting an Aquarium

Guest claire&fred

My OH has a 4ft aquarium. Pickfords said that if it goes in the container when it gets to Oz customs will disinfect it which means it can't be used again.

Are Pickfords correct? He has tried to sell it but had no luck and does not really want to give it away.

Just wondered if anyone might have any answers?

Thank yougoldfish.gif

Claire

(god, I love these glitter things)

Guest KP Nuts

Just a thought but have you asked your local aquatic dealer, if not what about E-bay, i'll be watching this thread to what happens an what you do, as i have two, 1st at 4' x 2' x 2' and 2nd at 6' x 2' x 2' an they weigh a ton each EMPTY.

Mr KP Nut. 363p.gif

Guest claire&fred

Thanks Mr KP

Local aquatic dealer not interested in 2nd hand tanks just in case they sell it on and then it springs a leak!

Ebay was a thought but an Ebay mad pal said that most people would want it delivered. Sadly all the fish go tomorrow. They were too big to flush so we have 18 south american cichlids (sicklids) and a very large common plecko all due to go tomorrow in four huge polysterene boxes.

OH very sad as loves his fish more than life itself. He is going to ring Pickfords bloke again just to double check about tank.

Will keep you informed.

Claire

Guest KP Nuts

Ah but Claire, does your oh realise that when he gets to OZ an buys a new tank he will be able to go into the sea, 26_11_1v.gif (on the QT of course) and fill his tank with what ever he wants, but Shhh i never said that.

Think of my dilemma i have 23 award wining Koi carp, i cant put them through the upheaval of going back on their roots, almost, so i'll have to sell them before we go, an i probably wont build another pond again, but maybe i will keep their pic's, but the money will go to something really nice once we are there. (cough cough Keily) or maybe,

7_3_130.gif

Mr KP Nut. 363p.gif

Guest claire&fred

Yes, that is a HUGE dilemma. Suddenly our little cichlids don't seem as important any more. The fish shop OH goes to is called World of Fishes in East Grinstead and they have Koi carp and some of them are huge. So as well as your 2 fish tanks you also have Koi carp. What do you keep in the fish tanks?

I would much rather sell the tank here as it will take up container space. Listen to me, we have not even had a receipt of money taken for Visa yet and I am talking about containers.

Claire

Guest KP Nuts

I would much rather sell the tank here as it will take up container space. Listen to me, we have not even had a receipt of money taken for Visa yet and I am talking about containers.

Claire

Yeah tell us about it 2 month an still no money gone, i'll try an ask some peeps i know about the disinfectant see if there is something to counteract it, as with the space though you can always pack things into it, (there's a + for your oh) as for my tanks they were supposed to be for breeding purposes but never finished them.

Mr KP Nut. 363p.gif

Guest Working to fish

This is only my two pennies worth but i sold £1500 worth of tropical fish in a 4ft tank with all singing and whistling heaters and filters for £85. The guy that bought them was red with embarrassment as he also got a second spare tank, spare heaters, filters etc. We tried selling everything to begin with for true value and got absolutely nowhere. So at least we haven't got to worry about getting them over to oz.

One thing we were lucky with though, we got rid of our cat for free. LOL.

eddie,tina

Guest claire&fred

Blimey that's a loss. Got to leave it to OH to decide I've got enough on my plate at the moment, we are due to exchange this week and then go into rented. The tank is now free of fish and wood etc just full of dirty water. I expect he will be in mourning for week.

KP Nuts, thanks, if you do find anything out regarding disinfectant, let us know.

Thanks.

Claire