Dumb Aussie tax question

paisleylass

I got my tax file number sorted within a week of arriving in Brisbane last November, and haven't earned a single dollar since. However I'll be starting work in February. Do my tax free allowances start from the date I arrived/obtained TFN? Therefore I should be paying less tax on a fortnightly basis/claim at end of year? I know in the UK it's all done through P45s, no idea how it's done here!

Guest Guest31881

The Employer will stop the tax at the % rate it is supposed to be paid at. When you fill in tax return in July then if you are entitled to any tax back you will gt it then. totally different to UK system and gets some getting used to .

The Employer will stop the tax at the % rate it is supposed to be paid at. When you fill in tax return in July then if you are entitled to any tax back you will gt it then. totally different to UK system and gets some getting used to .

Cheers, makes sense. Really, really dreading doing tax returns especially being stuck with a UK house we're renting out. We'll definitely be using an accountant!

Guest Guest31881
Interesting. We are in same position as you (457 and renting out our house) so will need an accountant. I just hope it doesn't cost the earth!

The cost of an accountant is tax deductible so its not too bad. get an accountant who is used to dealing with the Australian and the UK tax system if possible. You may find that while you are resident here for tax purposes then the tax you may pay in the UK on the house rental may be deductible from the tax paid in Australia. So you need a good accountant to sort it out.