Finally got a job! Hooooray :oD

paisleylass

Got a call this arvo just after my birthday swim at Redcliffe, offering me a 12 month contract in medical research at Mater Hospital. Yayayay! Starting 6th Feb, really looking forward to returning to the world of work.

Improbably, just a few minutes ago I got a call from one of the agencies with a possibility of 2 weeks work which would take me up to starting at Mater. Blimey! Not getting my hopes up, and actually it'd be nice to have 2 weeks off not job hunting/despairing, but the wonga would come in handy!

Cheers for all the encouragement and good luck wishes here on PIO :cute:

So pleased for you - IIRC you moved out here almost exactly the same time as us and have been looking since, but you've never let the lack of work get you down - in fact you've been relentlessly positive, at least in your posts on here

Hope it works out for you

:)

So pleased for you - IIRC you moved out here almost exactly the same time as us and have been looking since, but you've never let the lack of work get you down - in fact you've been relentlessly positive, at least in your posts on here

Hope it works out for you

:)

Yes, looks like we arrived in Australia in the same week - time flies! My long-suffering hubby would dispute the positivity! I have whinged to him a bit, but also had great days in between when things were looking good. Sharing experiences on PIO has been therapeutic to say the least!

Joandjon, it has been really quiet though a fair few temp positions have come up, but I was really frustrated with applying for them only for them to be filled internally, grrr. December had been even more of a write-off. Things should pick up after next week - summer hols over and Australia Day over and done with!

Celebratory steaks were consumed last night and washed down with a big jug of beer. And just had news our belongings are to be delivered first thing Monday, yay!

• 2 months later...

11 weeks in, a lil update. I'll be honest, I've been a bit miserable in this job. I had hopes of producing heaps of statistics and contributing to articles for medical journals, but in reality it's been a headache. The work has been 95% basic admin - arranging zillions of meetings and having to cancel and re-arrange most because of clinicians' poor timekeeping, taking minutes (ugh) at said meetings, running around doing bitty finance things like reimbursing clinicians' expenses, making website changes, taking registrations and keeping time at conferences/workshops, organising workshops. It ain't my bag and the disorganised mess the last person bequeathed to me made it even worse. Couple of good things - I did produce a tiny heap of stats for a presentation (not mine) that will turn into a journal paper, and was highly praised for turning a boring document into a nice brochure for patients although marketing isn't my bag either and I wouldn't make a career of designing brochures. I get the impression most clinicians and researchers see me as a PA - no insult intended to PAs, but it's not the kind of work that gets me out of bed in the morning and I'm useless at it anyway!

One thing that has bugged me is the total lack of free time other than the weekend - being used to flexitime and lots more annual leave it's been a culture shock, and the travel time by bus is shocking given the distance involved, so work-life balance has gone down the pan.

But! My boss knows I've been unhappy, and has offered to reduce my hours and put the cash saved towards an admin assistant, yay! Hubby agrees we can afford to do that :o) so I may ask to work Monday-Thursday. Having admin help will allow me to do the analytical-researchy type work as well.

BUT! (big but heheh) I got a call about a job that pretty much matches my last one in Scotland which I loved, I applied for it weeks ago but it was withdrawn as the new QLD government instituted a recruitment freeze. Because it's externally funded and fixed term, they can now recruit and I can go for an interview next week. Exciting!

So things could change for the better next week, either way, and I hope to get things confirmed before our ANZAC loooong weekend starts - off to Byron Bay on Wednesday! But if I'm leaving, telling the boss will be pretty stressful, she really does rate my work highly even if I find it tedious.