The cost of living!

Guest mandy1970

Guest mandy1970

We are planning to move to OZ (Perth) next year so I have been reading about a lot of things on this site.

One thing that strikes me is that it seems expensive for everyday things when you get there!

Clothing, household items, etc. Even beer seems the same price as UK

I know the reasons for the move to OZ (better quality of life, sun etc) but is everyday living better since the average salary seems to be lower than UK, and like here not everyone can afford to shop in Marks & Spencers.

It would be great to hear some opinions.

Guest Cam_Russ

Hi Mandy,

I myself find it very interesting that so many people comment on supposedly high prices for everyday items, and comparitive low salaries. For both me and Russ, our salaries will mor than double when we get to Australia. We both work for multi national companies in management positions, and get paid terribly (above the national average for UK, but still pretty rubbish). Having looked at what our jobs are worth in Sydney, we'll be able to live a much better life, and actually be able to save money.

I have done some preliminary check on prices of everyday things, like doing a virtual grocery shop on coles.com.au , also gauged the price of utilities from my mum and my sister, and I'm very comfortable with the rental prices and our mortgage is equivalent to about $2500 a month, so rental at even $600 a week is going to b better.

I think the perception of Australia being expensive could be more prevalent in those Brits who are not from the south east, where Britain is at its most expensive for everything.... or perhaps, I've just not been very good at negotiating better salary here.. lol

My sister and her husband have 2 kids (a 6 week old and an 18 month old), my sister does not work at the moment, so they have just one income, of under $50K a year, and they live a comfortable life, they own a house (with a mortgage). They do live in Brisbane which is historically cheaper than the southern states, but if I cast my mind back to before I left Australia, I certainly don't remember thinking that it was expensive, and my salary used to go alot further than it does here in the UK.

Just my 2 centsof course... Everyone wll have a doifferent experience depending on your background and your lifestyle... One thing I do remember about growing up in Oz, was that there was always loads to do that cost nothing!!! Parks, beaches, barbeques... that's the way to live

Cam

I really don't convert $ to £ and to be honest was never a great price watcher. Both hubby and I are paid less than in the UK, but we manage very well on the salaries we get. Meat seems quite cheap to me - particularly lamb, but fish seems expensive. Good wine is cheap although recently we did splash out and bought some direct from a vineyard (to save and celebrate our first anniversary here)I think you just get used to the prices. We still manage to put savings aside each month. Also look at salary packaging, I get $500 taken out of my salary every 2 weeks before tax, it is then put back into my account the day after reducing the amount of tax I pay over the year.

Ali

Guest ngourley

I'm way out west in WA and one thing I notice more over here is how the price of things can fluctuate wildly from week to week which can make budgeting a bit tricky.

Petrol can swing 20c a liter for no apparent reason, I've notices that the price alwys seems to go up just before a public holiday and drop again the next week.

Fruit and veg is much more seasonal & easily affected than in the UK and the price reflects that... last year's great banana shortage after Cyclone Larry was a great example... up to $14 (£5.80 per kg), they're down to about $4. The supermarkets (Coles, Woolies) prices are nearly always half as much again as the markets ( Freo, Subi etc).

Best bet... fill up when it cheap and shop for fruit & veg at the markets and not Coles or Woolies

Neal

Guest italianshoppingbike
We are planning to move to OZ (Perth) next year so I have been reading about a lot of things on this site.

One thing that strikes me is that it seems expensive for everyday things when you get there!

Clothing, household items, etc. Even beer seems the same price as UK

I know the reasons for the move to OZ (better quality of life, sun etc) but is everyday living better since the average salary seems to be lower than UK, and like here not everyone can afford to shop in Marks & Spencers.

It would be great to hear some opinions.

hi we have been here for 6 months in brisbane and yes you are right this is one hell of expensive country to live. once you have arrived and start earning dollars its best not to convert the currencys its just best to take a dollar and a pound and see how far it takes you e.g a litre of petrol in the uk less than a quid here $1.30 the daily paper 35p here a dollar ,we do on average $250 a week on food and thats just the basics ,beer well you can get 2 cases in asda for £18 here a case will set you back $35-$40.so on an aussie wage food cars petrol and houses are very expensive,coming from the uk you get a head start as you are doubling your money but once you start earning dollars we have found it very hard.

we love the place the lifestyle is great but financially we were better off in the uk ,we are gonna give it another 6 months and see how it goes.in the uk i earnt £800 a week and my wife stayed at home here she works and we bring in $1215 a week and at the end of the month we are lucky if we have $200 left and all we owe is the house my advice would be to come for a visit first and live for a few weeks like you would normally and see what you think

hope this is of help this is just my take on living here other ppl might dis-agree but if i can be of any help

spencer jennings

Hi,

Not sure about the cost comparision as yet, but in the UK I used to gets items of clothes in M & S sale for £5 or less!

The clothes here are not as good.

As we have only been in Perth a few months and were only here a few months in 2004 we haven't got sorted with the money as yet but it is going fast, and I haven't been spending like I used to in the UK.

I think some things may be cheaper and others not, I will have to see how it goes when I have a job and hubby is working for himself eventually.

The weather is better though!

Liz

Guest mutikonka

Coming from the opposite direction [on my first return visit to the UK for 5 years], I found that the cost of living in England was much higher than in Australia. Things seemed to cost as much in pounds as they did in dollars here. For example, a coffee would cost two or three quid, whereas here my large flat white costs $3. Likewise bus fares into town were two pounds plus - compared to $2.20 here.

I find it much cheaper to eat out here: you can get a decent meal in a shopping mall food court for $8 and restaurants in genral seem to be a lot cheaper than i the UK.

Also bear in mind that we don't get big heating bills and don't have to buys lots of winter clothes.

I think it all depends on your situation, we live a family of 4 on $600 a week at the moment and rent is $350. We knew we were throwing cauction to the wind, being on a 457 and not being about to claim any family or rent assistance. But to be honest its amazing how you do manage. Food shopping is expensive in my opinion and the selection is no where near as good, but I have started to learn to cook from scatch and enjoying the learning. I have just taken a job one day week which will help the income so hopefully we need to survive 2 years like this for residency.

At the end of the day for us it means struggling for 2 years to have a better future, everyones expectations are different. I only need to see how happy my 3 years old is playing on the lovely parks and beaches here to know that it will be worth it.

Em x

Guest mandy1970

Thanks for all your replies.

We are maybe lucky that I have an Australian birth certificate so just need to apply for my Oz passport and Hubby and kids will get a visa no probs. We have been told 6 weeks start to finish so would be permanent residents straight away.

We live in an area that when we bought our house it was worth £50,000 now its worth £250,000 so have a lot of equity to take with us. Also hubby works in the offshore oil industry and he could get a job paying $100,000. So we are maybe better than some.

Its when you are used to shopping in Asda, Primark for the kids, etc that it seems most things in Oz are more expensive but I suppose that the sun and relaxed lifestyle more than makes up for it!!

You wont know until you try

Guys your worrying me........

Is it the same for Melbourne????

Ally

x

Ally

Its what you make of it, we too are in Melbourne and a family of 5. We do not struggle but are careful. It depends how you want to live. You can live extravagently but you can also live to your means!!

Do not worry

Deb

Just going to hijack Deb's post here - I agree. Life here will be what you make it. You will learn to cut back where needs be and then find the money when you want to treat yourselves. We have managed to find some cheaper places to buy meat, fruit and veg and that has certainly helped. You will cope if you want to - be prepared to face life with a positive attitude otherwise, if you just spend the whole time comparing life here to life in the UK you will just want to give up and go home to England.

Felicity :wubclub:

Guest freckles

Because of the great weather over here you can spend days at the beach and it wont cost you. There are numerous free events on throughout the year for both adults and children, you dont find many of them in the UK. As for food shopping, much the same as in UK somethings dearer and some cheaper. Def cheaper to eat out though, portions good and quality and freshness excellent.

Guest AndyandAlly
Ally

Its what you make of it, we too are in Melbourne and a family of 5. We do not struggle but are careful. It depends how you want to live. You can live extravagently but you can also live to your means!!

Do not worry

Deb

Just going to hijack Deb's post here - I agree. Life here will be what you make it. You will learn to cut back where needs be and then find the money when you want to treat yourselves. We have managed to find some cheaper places to buy meat, fruit and veg and that has certainly helped. You will cope if you want to - be prepared to face life with a positive attitude otherwise, if you just spend the whole time comparing life here to life in the UK you will just want to give up and go home to England.

Felicity :wubclub:

Cheers for that, I was starting to worry then....and we don't have £200k to bring! will you PM where to find these cheaper alternatives to coles etc....

Many thanks

Ally

xx

Guest AJTCOURIERS

I too am lucky that I have an Australian passport (through birth) so it is going to be easy for me and my partner to emigrate to WA next Nov 08. We have given ourselves a year though to plan, learn, sell our house and wind our courier business down.

I agree with the comments about it depends what lifestyle you are after... when I hit 40 at Xmas I suddenly realised that I was no longer a "spring chicken" as my dad keeps reminding me and it made me look at life a lot differently. We have a lovely 4 bed house in a nice area, a very good business (STRESS though) and plenty of money - that is not what it is about though!We took a holiday to Sydney to celebrate my 40th and that got us thinking...

We want to move to WA to experience a new way of life, less compllicated and less stressful. This in turn means to achieve this we realise that we will not have this same standard of living in WA which we have here. We both intend to get jobs but we are happy to go with the flow, see what happens and rent a 2 bed house to keep our outgoings down.

We no longer want the big house, big mortgage and flash car (that went recently too) - life is about finding yourself and being happy.:spinny:

CINDY and ANDY

Guest mandy1970

I agree! We owned a business but sold it over 4 years ago and the stress levels went to nil. I am 37 Hubby 41 with 2 kids 9 & 4 and our priorities have changed. We are lucky to be able to take quite a bit of money with us and OH has a good job that he can work all over the world. The best bit about his job is the time off he gets 4wks work 4wks off.

I am maybe stressing about the costs of everything over there but its a big decision and I am the type of person who checks out EVERYTHING. I wouldnt like to say how many hours I have been on the internet.

Just as well life is stress free there as it is stressful getting there.

I am maybe stressing about the costs of everything over there but its a big decision and I am the type of person who checks out EVERYTHING. I wouldnt like to say how many hours I have been on the internet.

Just as well life is stress free there as it is stressful getting there.

I must admit this post has worried me a little - not enough to make me change my mind though:no:.

I am getting the feeling that moving to australia is not going to make us any better off financially but I do know that I will be able to buy a bigger house for relatively the same mortgage (hopefully a little less). If we stay in the UK we would have to move which would mean a higher mortgage anyway.

I am hoping it will be swings and roundabouts and that days out will be cheaper etc. Everywhere you go in the UK seems to cost you money. I was looking at some fesitvals and found a kite festival in queensland that appears to be Free and offers free parking - whereas a balloon festival held in Northampton costs £9 per adult to get in and then they have just reduced the parking to £5 all day - woo hoo.:arghh:

Been doing a spot of thinking about this thread and have decided to add a few extra thoughts.

In the UK I earned £33,000 a year. The OH was a warehouse worker / HGV driver and earned £28,500. This meant we could afford to make 2 mortgage repayments a month in order to pay things off quicker, if we wanted to treat ourselves, money wasn't tight and we lived really comfortably. We have no children so I suppose that does make a difference. We were under the impression that the money from the sale of our house, plus our savings would be adequate for us to set up a new home (renting to begin with), buy cars and keep a nice lump of cash in the bank as a deposit for a house.

Yes we did bring enough money to set up home - but it was very easy to watch the balance of our bank account diminish quickly. Yes we did bring enough money to buy cars - I have a new car but we had to buy a second hand 10 yr old car for OH. Yes we do have a lump of cash in the bank for a house deposit but it isn't going to go as far as we had initially hoped due to the additional costs involved when buying a house. If we aren't careful, the savings could vanish rather quickly.

We both have jobs but this is not bringing in what we expected. As a relief teacher I am not guaranteed work every day, I earn $190 a day before tax - A relief teacher in the UK earns about £150 a day. Michael is currently a casual worker in a warehouse stacking boxes and earns $21 an hour before tax - he earned about £21 an hour in the UK. Yes my salary will increase when I secure a permanent post but I don't know when that will be. Michael will be taking a pay cut when he starts his new job as a postie! His pay will be about $450 per week take home (roughly £220) but it is a full time job with the benefits of holiday and sick pay and ultimately, it has the security of knowing he will be bringing home money every week because its not casual. He has qualified as an HGV driver here as well but in our area the money is even worse than that of a postie. The only way he can earn money that compares to the UK is to drive interstate and at the moment, 2 months in, that's not really an option.

This said we are not downhearted. We tighten the purse strings when we need to and are getting very good at bargain hunting. South Melbourne market is great for meat buying. Tully's fruit and veg barn on the Moorooduc Highway at Mt Eliza is really good for cheap but good quality fruit and veg.

It is a bit of a shock to the system but like I said before - we are prepared to cope because we want to call Australia home. We'll take the hard times with the good times - and the good is fabulous! It's easy to spend money but if you think carefully you don't need to spend too much.

I hope my little waffle has helped some of you, if only to paint an honest picture. I am not going back to the UK. This is my home and I will do everything I can to keep it that way, I have wanted this for too long to give up just yet!

You have to remember a dollar is a dollar, it isn't 60p or whatever the exchange rate works out. You aren't paid in pounds any more and it only depresses if you keep making comparisons and conversions.

Felicity:wub:

Guest Working to fish

Hi Fizz

Great reply. Now i've got my visa i'm now worrying about money (born worrier me, thats th prob).

I know when i get there i'm going to be earning alot less than what i'm earning now but hey you can't have it all can you.

Anyway Fizz, my question is, as you're already there, i'm self-employed at the mo and have a great card in my wallet for a trade only warehouse where i can pick up top of the range(ish) all singing and dancing barbie. Fizz could you tell me what that would cost roughly in dollar to buy in oz?

Not pinching this thread just trying to add to it.

Eddie

And also Fizz if i don't see you on the girls thread soon you'll be staring on the guys thread quite a bit. LOL.

:notworthy:

Places like target and K mart have some sort of sale on every other week, the kids needed a few summer things (they've shot up - I'm sure it's all the sunshine), K mart had a buy one item get a 2nd for with 60% off. Alex got shoes, 3 tops, and a pair of shorts, whilst Tom got shorts and a singlet - came to $80 - which I didn't think was bad.

Ali

• 3 years later...
Guest vishsood

Hello Everybody, My name is Vishal. I have been offerred a Job in Melbourne. Ihave 5 years of IT experience. They have offered me 65k AUD per annum. we are family of 2. I wanted to check that is the above salary a sufficient salary to live there.

1) what will be my in-hand salary after TAX deduction.

2) what is the rent of 1BHK or 2 BHK

3) how is public trasport in victoria..

Someone else said in another thread that you have to cut your cloth to suit... and I think that is very true. Been here not very long now, but you gradually adapt to what costs are and what you have to spend each month. I am not working yet so we are on my husband's salary, half of that goes on the rent each month, and then you have to take out food, bills, broadband etc etc etc and see how much is left at the end of the day. I think food is probably one of the less worrying issues, as if bananas cost bleeding $18 dollars a kilo then buy something else!!! Like papayas or melons or anything else! What I am trying to say is that there are certain costs like the rent and petrol and bills that you can't really pick and choose, but things like clothes and food and restaurants you can. Sydney is very expensive and there is no way we are going to be eating out in the city centre on a regular basis, if I see that a certain supermarket product is priced way above what I think it should be then I choose another option.... instead I indulge with the things that seem to cost less. After living in a new country for a while you get used to what is on offer and your life and spending habits will adjust accordingly. However, if you are worried about cost of living get your salary worked out, take out the rent and main core expenditure and that will surely give you a better idea if you can afford it or not?

Archived