Sign in to follow this  
Guest zadizaza

Onshore spousal visa subclass 820

Guest zadizaza

Hi everybody! Could someone please help me with this one: I am an Australian citizen, currently in Europe - I've married an Austrian(not Australian ;) girl, after few years of knowing her. I need to go back to Oz. And we would like to stay together. We heard for that 'Onshore Subclass 820' solution (or is it a 'solution'?), but we don't know how it actually works. Does it work at all? Could she enter Australia with me, then we apply for that Subclass 820, and wait for the decision while we are both in Australia? She could stay in Australia for three months with her Austrian passport/tourist visa, and decision about the Subclass 820 takes much longer! What to do? How to do it? Please help. Desperately in love, and desperately wanting to stay together.

Guest GeorgeD

Yes she can enter on a tourist visa and apply for the 820 onshore. She will be given a bridging visa when her tourist visa runs out so she can await the decision. The downside is she will have the same rights on the bridging visa as the one she entered on...a tourist visa, so no work rights. Processing time can be 10-12 months.

She also has the option of applying for the 309 Offshore Spouse visa. Generally quicker, depending on processing times at the DIAC office processing that country...the UK applications are processed in London. She can travel to Oz as a tourist during this wait but must be offshore at time of grant. Offshore application fee is also less.

Both routes achieve the same thing, it just depends where she wants to apply and be during the application process