Shipping from Ireland

Guest sunnydays4

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at quotes for insurance through independent companies as in - not with the removalist companies..... here's one from

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/

I've emailed and asked if they cover Ireland to Australia.....

'The rate from Ireland to NSW, Australia is 1.40% plus 6% IPT. Therefore, on a sum insured of £10,000, for example, the premium would calculate to £140 plus £8.40 IPT = £248.40'

Anybody else used independent insurers? I checked with all the removalists I've had to quote and they all say it's okay not to go with them. Seems to bring the costs down a bit.

We had visits from AMC and Nat Ross.

Both quotes were around 4000 for a 20ft with AMC being slightly cheaper. AMC quoted 6000 for a 40ft container which was to include our car but we are still undecided about whether to bring it or not. Putting the car in the container is the easy bit ,its all the paper work and fees on the other side is whats difficult..

So far AMC are in the lead as we were very impressed with the Sales Director who came out whose name was Aubrey McCarthy (A M C ??) :biggrin:

Careline said it was too early to give us a correct quote as we arent going until Feb/March 2013 and with the price of fuel etc they price they give could be completely different early next year...

We had visits from AMC and Nat Ross.

Both quotes were around 4000 for a 20ft with AMC being slightly cheaper. AMC quoted 6000 for a 40ft container which was to include our car but we are still undecided about whether to bring it or not. Putting the car in the container is the easy bit ,its all the paper work and fees on the other side is whats difficult..

So far AMC are in the lead as we were very impressed with the Sales Director who came out whose name was Aubrey McCarthy (A M C ??) :biggrin:

Careline said it was too early to give us a correct quote as we arent going until Feb/March 2013 and with the price of fuel etc they price they give could be completely different early next year...

Both sound a lot better than the €5,600 I've been quoted - are you going to Perth?

One was Nat Ross and we're heading to Newcastle in NSW from Waterford. I've had a few others over 6000. Sounds like I need to do some serious re-negotiation with a couple of these.

Sorry the second quote was from careline not nat ross.we havent actually got the quote from nat ross yet.

Ill post it when we receive the quote.the amc once included packing aswell.

Are you sure the are quoting you for a 20ft container?

Yup, both Careline and Nat Ross both came in around 5600 - could be that we're in Waterford! I'm waiting on a quote from Crown in the next couple of days then I'm going to start some hard bargaining, it's great to get the heads up from this forum - it will give us a leg to stand on. Now if we could just manage to sell the car!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone any update on their shipping from Ireland. I just realised that the original quote from Nat Ross was actually a groupage one so Ive asked them for an updated one based on the sole use of a container. AMC are looking the best so far €3932 for a 675cu ft container.

Hi bigbadcon,

We ended up going with Nat Ross, they did bring down the price a bit, but ours is high because we are going to Newcastle. But they were the cheapest. Apparently the further away from the main centre (Sydney) the higher the price. So far so good, they'll be arriving next week to pack us up. I'll keep you posted as to how we get on.

Guest PBrady

Hi,

We have just shipped a 20ft from Meath to Perth, negotiated a bit, in the end paid 5000euro plus 220 insurance, it was with Oman, they are a sister company of Natross, so far so good, they came and cleared out the house in 2 days, can't comment on anything else until we receive our goods in Perth..

Guest Frankie457

We used AMC, door to door, pack and unwrap, brilliant both in Ireland and in Sydney. We done group age which takes a bit longer, but worth the wait in the end when it all arrives, nothing broken. They placed everything in place, all we had to do is dress the beds.

We used AMC, door to door, pack and unwrap, brilliant both in Ireland and in Sydney. We done group age which takes a bit longer, but worth the wait in the end when it all arrives, nothing broken. They placed everything in place, all we had to do is dress the beds.

Thanks frankie, just wondering how long the groupage took?

Also did you take apart things like beds and other items that could be flat packed to save on space and price for the volume of your items?

Guest Frankie457

About 14 weeks, advised if over 500 cubic feet, then better value to do 20' container. We booked 350 but ended up packing nearer to 500 when removals were there. They took everything apart and wrapped and packed. AMC organised king & Wilson in Sydney and they unpacked and unwrapped and took away all the debris, very happy with service.

• 1 month later...
Guest melanie79

hi mataba,

did youe container arrive yet from careline? if so how long did it take & would you recommend?[

thanks

mel

QUOTE=Mataba;1935855184]Hi. I got a few quotes and they were around the same but I liked careline and they were very professional. The girl I dealt with was called Sinead.

Guest irish cailin

hi, just to add a comment about shipping costs; i spent months pricing containers for shipping... and then realised that AN POST (Irish post office), allow u to post a very big box, max weight of 20kg, for €60. Ive sent 10 boxes, with everything from clothes, toys, shoes, tools, books, dvds, electical goods for a total cost of €600. So for anyone not intending to send furniture, this is the route to take! The cheapest quote i got for shipping the exact stuff i posted was €2500, and was told it would take 5-6 weeks. An post deliver to the door in Cardiff, NSW, in 5 days. BRILLIANT. Now all i need to do is get myself and our little one there; roll on 15th November; i dont trust himself (who's already in Cardiff) to unpack and put everything away properly!!

hi, just to add a comment about shipping costs; i spent months pricing containers for shipping... and then realised that AN POST (Irish post office), allow u to post a very big box, max weight of 20kg, for €60. Ive sent 10 boxes, with everything from clothes, toys, shoes, tools, books, dvds, electical goods for a total cost of €600. So for anyone not intending to send furniture, this is the route to take! The cheapest quote i got for shipping the exact stuff i posted was €2500, and was told it would take 5-6 weeks. An post deliver to the door in Cardiff, NSW, in 5 days. BRILLIANT. Now all i need to do is get myself and our little one there; roll on 15th November; i dont trust himself (who's already in Cardiff) to unpack and put everything away properly!!

Hi Irish Cailin,

Thanks for that. I had heard about an Post doing this but have never heard of anyone who has actually used them. This sounds like it would suit us a lot as the only furniture we are shipping is 1 double bed and mattress, 1 childs bed and mattress,1 chest of drawers, a couple of guitars and a couple of deck chairs. The rest is bits and bobs that we could probably put in boxes with An Post. We have just about settled on a groupage quote of 2200 with Nat ross (although we havent paid anything yet) so I would be looking to get this seriously revised if we were to take out all of the smaller stuff.

The fact that you get your stuff so soon is a big bonus also.

Im wondering did you send anything that was fragile at all? Also what about insurance on the items,did you get it and what was the cost like?

Did you have any breakages when the boxes were opened?

Thanks a mill...

Guest melanie79

hi,

seems like as lot 2200 for the small number of items you are taking. did you get a quote from careline? i thought they were very reasonable. i had a look at an post a few months ago & seen where they advertised the boxes for 60euro & it gave the dimension, but ive just looked on an post website again & cant seem to find the page. i wonder if they have stopped the service for this price or if i just cant find it?!!![

melanie

UOTE=bigbadcon;1935989372]Hi Irish Cailin,

Thanks for that. I had heard about an Post doing this but have never heard of anyone who has actually used them. This sounds like it would suit us a lot as the only furniture we are shipping is 1 double bed and mattress, 1 childs bed and mattress,1 chest of drawers, a couple of guitars and a couple of deck chairs. The rest is bits and bobs that we could probably put in boxes with An Post. We have just about settled on a groupage quote of 2200 with Nat ross (although we havent paid anything yet) so I would be looking to get this seriously revised if we were to take out all of the smaller stuff.

The fact that you get your stuff so soon is a big bonus also.

Im wondering did you send anything that was fragile at all? Also what about insurance on the items,did you get it and what was the cost like?

Did you have any breakages when the boxes were opened?

Thanks a mill...

just found it again on an post!!! hard to work out the dimensions though of a box.

I think the formula is as follows in centimetres to work out the dimensional weight.It still has to be under 20 kg in actual weight though no matter how big or small the box physically is.

Length x Height x width/ 6000

Once its under 20 the dimensional weight is ok.

So the biggest square box you can ship is 49 cms.

49 x 49 x 49 /6000 = 19.6

Obviously the box doesnt have to be square but you get the idea...

The €2200 we got quoted wasnt just got the items I mentioned above as there was loads of smaller items aswell which I'm now thinking we'll send with an post!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

By the way they do registered post for €65 for 20kg also so I'll probably go with that.The stuff is insured for up to €100 also included in that.

Will just have to split up the valuable stuff so its not all in the one box just in case.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2