Primary Schools Point Cook / Altona area - Opinions?

Guest guest48800

Guest guest48800

Hello all, I've posted this on the LifeinVictoria site, but thought as there are more people on PIO it would be worth posting here too. We're over on our recce/validation visit in April and I'm looking at primary schools in the Point Cook, Altona area of Melbourne and have a few questions I'd be grateful for help with.

I'm a bit confused re. Point Cook Primary School. From what I've read this school was located on the RAAF base, however has been relocated to Ponsford Drive. When I google it, I only get the RAAF location, and when I look for the school website I only get Point Cook College. Can anyone shed any light on this? Has Point Cook Primary changed name? Has it merged with another school?

I know there are 2 catholic primary's in the area, Stella Maris & Lumen Christi, however as our daughter isn't baptised I'm assuming she wouldn't stand a chance at getting in at either of these, so I haven't researched much about them as yet. Would I be correct in this assumption? I'm assuming the enrolment for these schools works in much the same way as here in the UK (i.e. non baptised children go to the end of the queue), and that they're equally as popular due to the standard of education they provide, hence a very long queue!. I don't want to waste my time looking if it's not really a viable option.

I'd also be grateful for peoples opinions of the schools listed below, I'm scouring the internet and have checked out the myschool website, but nothing beats firsthand knowledge from people living in the area (IMO).

Seabrook Primary

Point Cook Primary

Point Cook College

Carranballac College (have read a few negative comments re. this one)

Altona Meadows Primary

Altona Green Primary

If there are any more in the area that I've missed please do let me know.

Thanks in advance. smile.gif

Guest The Pom Queen

Hopefully this will help:

Carranballac - Prep - Yr 9 - Boardwalk Primary and Jamieson Way have merged to form Carranballac College.

The Boardwalk campus, originally known as Boardwalk Primary School was opened to students in 2002, it is located on the corner od Dunnings Road & Foxwood Drive, Point Cook, Vic, 3030. The college uses the Victorian Essential Learning Standards and the Curriculum and Standards Framework II to provide a comprehensive curriculum at all levels encompassed by consideration for the personal, social and emotional wellbeing of individuals. The development of literacy and numeracy are priorities and programs have been developed to focus on these areas. An integrated curriculum approach in the Early Years ensures coverage across the three strands outlined in the Victorian Essential Learning Standards: Physical, Personal and Social Learning; Discipline-based Learning; Interdisciplinary Learning; and a trans-disciplinary approach using inquiry learning in the Middle Years enhances engagement for students at this stage of schooling across these three strands and associated domains.

The main building at Boardwalk comprises a Library; an Art/Technology area providing stimulation for Visual Arts, and provision for delivery of the Technology key learning area; a Gymnasium catering for indoor sports and activities; a Music area; a Canteen facility; and a Computer Laboratory supported by multiple data points in each classroom. A Science Laboratory, and a Home Economics centre support the delivery of middle years curriculum. A Music Centre, complete with rehearsal rooms is located within the grounds. There are 16 permanent classrooms set amongst landscaped grounds complemented by relocatables. There is an oval, two basketball/netball courts and a concrete assembly/play area. In conjunction with VicUrban, the grounds have been developed and include two undercover playgrounds.

The Jamieson way campus opened in 2006 and is situated on the corner of Jamieson Way and La Rochelle Boulevard Point Cook Vic 3030. There are 16 permanent classrooms set amongst landscaped grounds complemented by relocatable buildings. There is an oval, two basketball/netball courts and a concrete assembly/play area. In conjunction with VicUrban, the grounds have been developed and include two undercover playgrounds. Jamieson Way comprises a Middle Years building encompassing flexible learning areas, Science Laboratories and an Information Technology room, project rooms and computer pods and student locker area. A full size gymnasium, canteen, a home economics area including a dining room, are located with a music area and rehearsal rooms, a visual arts facility and technology areas. Relocatable learning areas complement these buildings.

Point Cook Primary School – Prep – Yr 9

Point Cook Primary School is an excellent school, it was located on the RAAF Base movers now moved to the cnr of Ponsford Drive and Tom Roberts Blvd Point Cook and has been renamed Point Cook College

The school will then be a Prep to Year 9 college and if it is anything like the primary school has been this will definitely be a very popular school.

Point Cook West Catholic Primary School - (Stella Maris Catholic Primary School)

Stella Maris opened its doors in 2007 and is the fourth Catholic primary school in the parish of Laverton. The school is in the rapidly developing area of Point Cook West. The school is zoned and shares the Point Cook area with its sister school Lumen Christi.

Point Cook Catholic Primary School - (Lumen Christi School)

Lumen Christi, Catholic Primary School commenced operations on Thursday, January 27th 2000, with a staff committed to offering the highest standard of Catholic education to the children enrolled from Grades Prep to Grade 6. They have an Administration Building, Outside Amenities Block, Re-locatable classrooms and landscaping, play areas and parking facilities complete. Their four-pod classroom was finished and ready for occupation for the beginning of Term 2, 2000. 2002 also saw Stage 2 of their Building project funded by local and Federal money. During this building stage they added a multi-purpose hall, kitchen and storage areas, as well as Part 1 of a classroom block that contains three learning areas, indoor toilets and a designated area for Science. They carefully structure the grades so that they are able to accommodate families that move into their catchment area during the year. It is their aim to enrol children with the minimum of disruption to existing classes. Each year they have steadily increased their enrolment of students and expect a projected enrolment of approximately 665 for 2009. Stage 3 Building Stage was undertaken and completed during 2007 and the scope of works included 3 learning areas, a Sports Stadium, Teacher car parking and street parking for drop-off/pick-up purposes in Kirkstone Rd. The focus of development in 2008 has been their outside recreation area for students, which includes a regulation junior soccer pitch as well as other play areas all using artificial turf.

The school is situated in Point Cook Road, opposite the Sanctuary Lakes Golf Course.

Point Cook Senior Secondary College Year 10 - Year 12

As most of the primary schools have now moved to teach up to Yr 9, Point Cook Senior will enrol students from Yr 10 – Yr 12 in time for their VCE’s. Point Cook Senior College is a new school for students in Years 10-12 located in Point Cook in Melbourne's west. The first of the College buildings have only recently been completed and their doors opened for the first time to an intake of Year 10 students on 29th January, 2008 in relocatable classrooms. At this point projections indicate a student population of 100-110 for the first year, although the long term enrolment projection for the College is for 1100 students, with a peak that is considerably higher.

Emmanuel College: Notre Dame Campus at Point Cook (Co-educational Catholic Secondary School Year 7-12)

Emmanuel College - provides Catholic secondary education for young women and men and is governed by the parish priests of the region served by the college - Yarraville to Point Cook.

The College comprises two campuses: Notre Dame campus at Point Cook and St Paul's campus at Altona North. The Notre Dame coeducational campus, commenced with Year 7 in 2008, and will reach Year 12 in 2013. St Paul's campus continues the provision of Years 7-12 boys' education.

Parents thus have the choice of applying for enrolment at either the coeducational or all-boys campus.

Emmanuel has shown some great results over the last few years, which each year being a huge improvement on the last.

The fees for a Yr 10 student average around $6,000 AUS Dollars per year.

In regards to the Catholic Primary Schools it may be worth getting your name down, yes if the children aren't Catholic they will be further down the intake list but it is still doable.

Guest guest48800

Thought as much, am open minded but it's not at the top of our list! We're really liking the look of Seabrook primary, seems to be quite a small school, think that would be less of a shock for our daughter as she's in a small village school at the moment. Am aware it has a small catchment area too though. Would like to see if we can get in for a look round at one or two of them, but am guessing all the staff will be on hols too over Easter.

Thought as much, am open minded but it's not at the top of our list! We're really liking the look of Seabrook primary, seems to be quite a small school, think that would be less of a shock for our daughter as she's in a small village school at the moment. Am aware it has a small catchment area too though. Would like to see if we can get in for a look round at one or two of them, but am guessing all the staff will be on hols too over Easter.

Hi,

We've just gone through all this a few months ago and I'm feeling your pain:biggrin:

We had read a lot of stuff on Carranballac too but it was the nearest school to us so we decided to give it a go, probably against our better judgement. Our son is very academic and what concerned us was that the school didn't appear to focus strongly on this and in fact they have no text books which concerned us. Our son has started in September and I have to say we are really impressed. I know it is early days but he has settled in really well, enjoys going every day and is much more enthusiastic than he ever was back in the UK. They seem much more focussed on the individual child and cater more for their specific requirements. Scott is much more engaged and actually wants to do the work as they make it so interesting. We were concerned as there appears to be a "no homework" policy but in actual fact, due to project work he has, he is doing as much homework now as he did in the UK. Every child is different but I am really pleased we sent him here, the staff are lovely too which helps.

Good luck with your decision and I'm happy to help with any other questions you may have about moving to Point Cook.

Guest guest48800

Hi Paur,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate your comments, am glad to hear your son has settled in well and is enjoying school.

My one big worry (apart from finding work!) is getting our daughter settled and making friends in the right school for her. She's doing very well and has a great set of friends at the moment and I'd hate to see her retreat into herself because we chose wrongly. :eek:

I look at the amount of pupils at each school and they all seem so large! But I think that's more a reaction based on the school she attends at the moment which only has 1 class per year. We'll be checking out the 'look' of the schools in the area but unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to actually get in for a walk round at any as it will be school hols, another poster on lifeinvictoria has mentioned that they might not even entertain us for a visit as we haven't actually applied yet, no harm in asking though I reckon :smile:.

Thanks again for the offer of help re. Point Cook I think we're pretty much decided that is where we'll be wanting to settle when we finally move, am really looking forward to our reccie visit!

Guest MichelleNZ

Hi, my kids started at Carranballac Jamieson Way in December and I'm still very much undecided about the school. The programmes the school offers do seem very good, but as I've mentioned in another post (in the Victoria section) I find the lack of being able to communicate effectively with the teacher very unsettling. Having said that, my son's teacher was actually very very good (he was in Prep), but I did not like the fact that the teachers were not available in the classroom until about 5 mins before the start of the day, and I kind of felt "shut out" of the classroom at other times. This might just be how things are here, but after reading other schools websites, it doesn't appear so. My children did seem happy however and made friends easily. It may have been simply that it was the end of the year and normal school stuff was simply forgotten!! I'll see how it goes this term :)

Both Point Cook College (which is Point Cook Primary) and Seabrook have extremely good reputations in the community. The school roles seems huge, but I think this is purely because the schools go from Prep to Year 6 or 9. At Carranballac the school doesn't actually "feel" so big when you are there as the Junior school and Senior school are somewhat separated with separate playing areas etc. Just a point to note re Seabrook, it may pay to check where your daughter would go after Year 6 until she is able to attend Point Cook Senior in Year 10 as I'm not sure of that myself!

According to the Catholic schools website they take a certain number of unbaptised children I think, but baptised children come first. I guess you would need to check with the school how the process works?

There will be nobody at the school office during the school holidays, so you will probably not be able to view the schools while you are here. I would recommend phoning them when school starts next week to see what you can arrange - the school holiday programmes will be running so you might be able to arrange something through them. I wouldn't bother emailing as I tried that before we got here numerous times at a number of schools and didn't get one reply!!!!!!

Good luck :)

Guest MichelleNZ

Also, meant to mention, if you are looking at Altona Beach to live (not Altona Meadows), have a look at Altona Primary School or Seaholme School, which have smaller rolls and are also good schools, but the house prices (to buy) are more expensive!!

Guest guest48800
Hi, my kids started at Carranballac Jamieson Way in December and I'm still very much undecided about the school. The programmes the school offers do seem very good, but as I've mentioned in another post (in the Victoria section) I find the lack of being able to communicate effectively with the teacher very unsettling. Having said that, my son's teacher was actually very very good (he was in Prep), but I did not like the fact that the teachers were not available in the classroom until about 5 mins before the start of the day, and I kind of felt "shut out" of the classroom at other times. This might just be how things are here, but after reading other schools websites, it doesn't appear so. My children did seem happy however and made friends easily. It may have been simply that it was the end of the year and normal school stuff was simply forgotten!! I'll see how it goes this term :)

Hi Michelle, thanks for your comments, sorry for my delayed reply, am having trouble posting on here at the mo. Am glad your children are happy at school and making friends easily, I'm really starting to fret about that part, I know kids are resilient but it's such a huge move! If you don't mind, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts at the end of next term? I think the run up to end of year is always a bit manic! We find that our daughter stops being given homework in the last few weeks, reading books are changed less frequently, teachers are running round like headless chickens, it must be the same the world over!

I do think you get a good 'feel' for a school from their website.

Both Point Cook College (which is Point Cook Primary) and Seabrook have extremely good reputations in the community. The school roles seems huge, but I think this is purely because the schools go from Prep to Year 6 or 9. At Carranballac the school doesn't actually "feel" so big when you are there as the Junior school and Senior school are somewhat separated with separate playing areas etc. Just a point to note re Seabrook, it may pay to check where your daughter would go after Year 6 until she is able to attend Point Cook Senior in Year 10 as I'm not sure of that myself!

I've read other posts on Point Cook Primary, and they're all pretty positive, I do like the look of Seabrook, but having looked at the rentals in the school zone, most of the one's we've seen look a bit errr 'dated' shall we say! I don't want to move half way round the world and end up in a 70's/80's timewarp!

Hadn't thought much about the transition at year 7, will do a bit more research on that. I did see a site for a private school in the area that looked REALLY nice, but I'm not sure if we could even afford to look at that option.....would be nice though eh!

According to the Catholic schools website they take a certain number of unbaptised children I think, but baptised children come first. I guess you would need to check with the school how the process works?

The rules seem pretty similar to over here. We'll see what we think when the time comes, as Kate says, we lose nothing by putting her name down anyway.

There will be nobody at the school office during the school holidays, so you will probably not be able to view the schools while you are here. I would recommend phoning them when school starts next week to see what you can arrange - the school holiday programmes will be running so you might be able to arrange something through them. I wouldn't bother emailing as I tried that before we got here numerous times at a number of schools and didn't get one reply!!!!!!

Thanks, I'll book myself a late night telephone session next week and make some calls!

Also, meant to mention, if you are looking at Altona Beach to live (not Altona Meadows), have a look at Altona Primary School or Seaholme School, which have smaller rolls and are also good schools, but the house prices (to buy) are more expensive!!

Have been looking into Altona Beach area a bit more recently too as that's where we'll be staying for our recce trip in April. The house we're staying in is on the same road as Altona Primary so we'll definitely be checking it out. Must admit that after my first initial look at local house prices, I've not looked again! :eek: We'll be renting for the first few years at least (unless we're both extremely lucky on the job front!), we've seen some lovely really nice looking rentals in both Point Cook and Altona so we're happy, just hope it's the same this time next year!

Thanks again :smile:

Guest MichelleNZ

Hi Woodster, no problem at all, I will keep you updated on my thoughts as the term progresses, although I've just come back from coffee with a couple of school Mums this morning, and my thoughts are even more in the negative lol In all honesty, I think we will be moving to a different zone come the end of our lease in Term 4 ;) And I generally always look for the positives in everything!!!!!!

I think it depends what part of Seabrook you are looking in - there are some lovely houses in the Homestead Run estate - I can't work out how old they are - maybe around 6 to 8 years? Somebody else on here may know!! They could be younger!!

Yes, Altona is quite expensive, we looked at a few houses that we could afford to buy, but they were tiny and very run down ...... still sometimes consider it though ..... :biggrin:

Guest MichelleNZ

Well, we are into day two of term one and I am somewhat pleased to say that both of my kids have great teachers this year, both very friendly and open and willing to chat! :biggrin: Things may be looking up lol I will keep you posted .....

Guest MichelleNZ

Okay so I keep being pleasantly surprised by the school!!!!! I am liking it more and more (much to my surprise). The kids are very very happy, their teachers are both brilliant and very open and talkative. Hmmmmmmmm I may have prejudged it rather unfairly (I should really stop listening to gossip and make up my own mind).

:biggrin:

• 5 months later...

Hi there,

My hubby and I and our 6yr old daughter are also seriously considering Altona to live, and was just doing some school research just now.

May I ask you how you went on with your recce in April in terms of the area, general feel, schools and anything else that may have helped you come to a decision??

Thanks ... Alex

• 7 months later...
Guest guest48800

Hello again all,

all systems go on our move, loved our recce trip to Altona, also contemplating Altona Meadows....maybe, but need to do more research.

has anyone any advice regarding Altona Meadows Primary School? Good/bad? Would be really grateful.

thanks,

E.

• 10 months later...