Converting UK Law Degree to Australia

Guest sophiella

Ok so, taking a step back from the whole reassessing your degree and taking modules to practice in Australia topic, I wanted to throw my two cents in.

Since "Solicitor" and "Barrister" are on the skilled occupation list for a skilled independant visa, if you were to have got your LLB degree, passed your UK LPC (to practice as a solicitor) or your UK Bar exams (to practice as a barrister), and have had a years worth experience or so, would this be enough to qualify for your visa? Surely it would as you'd have points for experience and eduation etc.

Main point is: If you have qualified in the UK fully, can you make the move and get a visa, or is the reassessment and modules etc. necessary just to get the visa or only to practice?

Many thanks.

I would speak to a good migration agent as migration for lawyers is complex. Be aware though that there is certainly no shortage of solicitors here. Far from it.

The quick answer is no. There are quite a few threads with info on this but in brief - I have degree , LPC, admission for 15 years and I still don't qualify as "skilled" - only once I have done 5 or so additional modules in Australia and admitted as solicitor here. Basically the 189 for solicitors is really only open for those that top up their studies on student visa and then qualify here. May be some way round it but I haven't found it yet!!