Converting UK Law Degree to Australia

Guest sophiella

Guest sophiella

Hey everyone - I just joined this forum haha so hello!:cute:

I'm a first year University student doing Law (LLB) and my plans are to move to Oz once I've graduated.

I fell in love with Australia ever since I lived in Perth for a short time when I was little & I have family there.

I've been told that there's a course that I could do to "convert" my studies from the UK Law to Australia - sort of like bridging the gap between the differences etc. My cousin in Perth suggested this course as an example:

http://courses.handbooks.uwa.edu.au/courses/c2/2035

On the entry requirements for the course it just mentions that I'd have to have a Bachelor degree in Law which I would have, so I was wondering if anyone on here has studied law in the UK and has gone this route to convert their course/study Oz modules? Am I reading the admissions requirements right in that I wouldn't need to study LPC to get onto the Grad Diploma?

Ideally, I'd like to move straight over and start converting asap after graduation - I see studying the Legal Practice Course in the UK would be a waste of time for me as I don't want to practice there!

I've also heard that if you study in Australia for 2 years or more you receive a Graduate visa - giving you an extra 18 months to gain relevant work experience in order to obtain a skilled visa/permanent residence. I'm kinda stumped because UWA say the Grad Diploma in Legal Practice is only 2-3 semesters! However I'm considering applying to study abroad in Australia (hopefully!) in my third year; if I combined the 18 month Grad Diploma and my year at Uni would they both count towards the two year study?

I'm so sorry for the essay and rambling on! I would greatly appreciate some advice on this because there's so many things flying round I'm so confused! :embarrassed: haha

Thank you so much !

Sophie :smile:

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I am in Australia on a temporary visa 457. I have a UK law degree. I am currently having my qualification assessed by the Legal Practitioners assessment board, and as I understand it, once that is complete, it will advise me on what I need to do to convert my degree. I think I will have to do approximately 2/3 modules which are 12 weeks duration. After that us complete I intend to do the Practical Legal Training at university as a post graduate. The PLT is 7 months long, and once complete, you are able to practice as a lawyer in Auatralia, although in a supervised role for the first 12 months. I hope that helps.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest sophie1922

Hi Sophie,

I'm a third year law student and I have the same plans to move to Oz (Melbourne) next year once I've graduated. I was wondering if you had found out anymore information regarding converting the LLB into a law degree recognised in Australia?

Thanks

Sophie

Guest enjoycoke

I am considering the same process. Is it relatively easy to get a student visa if I were to undertake, for instance, the course linked to in the first post? What about if I was to study part time?

Help is much appreciated.

Hi

I am at a different stage to you guys in that I am a qualified lawyer in Scotland and practised for 8 years before I came out to Aus, but I thought I could explain a couple of things that may be helpful:-

Each state has their own assessment body which will assess your qualifications and determine what you need to do to "convert" to the equivalent status in the appropriate Australian state. For example the NSW body is the LPAB (Legal Profession Admissions Board). You need to apply to the relevant state body for an assessment, this applies whether you are still an undergrad student or have been in practice in another country for a number of years. Even now that it is over 8 years since I qualified for example, I know that for admission in NSW I would be exempt from practical training but would need to do 5 modules at the College of Law in order to get a NSW Practising Certificate.

If I were you, I would google the state you are thinking of coming to, find out what the relevant body is and have a look at the appropriate forms and guidance on their website. There is usually also a section for overseas lawyers/students specifically, alhtough the level of detail is a bit variable depending on the state. I would also recommend that you at least wait until you have completed one "stage" of your training in full, e.g. your LLB or LPC, or whatever is the stage you are currently in, and then submit for assessment so that at least you have completed an identifiable chunk of work that they can easily (or easier, at least) work out where you are at and what the equivalent is.

Good luck!

Hi.

I am in Australia on a temporary visa 457. I have a UK law degree. I am currently having my qualification assessed by the Legal Practitioners assessment board, and as I understand it, once that is complete, it will advise me on what I need to do to convert my degree. I think I will have to do approximately 2/3 modules which are 12 weeks duration. After that us complete I intend to do the Practical Legal Training at university as a post graduate. The PLT is 7 months long, and once complete, you are able to practice as a lawyer in Auatralia, although in a supervised role for the first 12 months. I hope that helps.

Hi Yabba, I have been searching something on this for ages! I finally got my determination back and they want me to do 14 modules! I did the qualifying law degree and got a 2:1. I believe there is an appeal process to change the determination.

I am curious if you have got your determination back and what your thoughts are?

Hi Yabba, I have been searching something on this for ages! I finally got my determination back and they want me to do 14 modules! I did the qualifying law degree and got a 2:1. I believe there is an appeal process to change the determination.

I am curious if you have got your determination back and what your thoughts are?

Hi Alxwest,

I haven't received mine back yet. Have been waiting a while now. I am shocked at the amount of modules you have to do. From what I have read online I was expecting 3 modules at the most. What have you got to do then? Which university did you get your degree from, and how recently did you complete your degree?

i am going to be extremely unhappy if I have to do that many modules. Surely there can't be that much of a variation between a UK and Australian law degree...? What state are you in?

sorry for all the questions but that has really shocked me! It's not just the time you need to do them all, it's the financial side too.

would be good to hear from you about those questions and I will let you know when I hear back from the legal assessment board.

cheers

Where have you read 3 at most? I'm finding it really difficult to find anyone in this position though I know they exist.

I graduated from the University of the West of England in 2010. Where and when did you graduate? I am keen to find out what they want of you.

To be honest I feel like I've been dealt with a bad hand, I keep dealing with this one woman who is pretty rude and unhelpful, even when I email or call the general line she answers! Oh I'm in NSW by the way.

And I'm looking now at the module syllabuses and there really does not seem to be much difference. Also to me it looks as though a few of the modules are what the UK would do in the LPC...

Eugh, $675 a subject at 4 subjects a year... What was the point in my 3 years and £20k?!

Guest enjoycoke

Alxwest,

What institution are you getting the $675 a subject from? are you talking about academic subjects?

In WA youre talking a few thousand bucks per subject/unit.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi alxwest.

After reading your comments I am trying to come to terms at the required number of modules that you had to do. I just graduated from Uwe,Bristol this year (June) 2012. I will be heading to Australia to accompany my mum who will be relocating there. According to your thread you mention that you had To do 14 modules. I am wondering whether I will be required to do the same? My question is is your LLB a general LLB or a combined honours one?and also could you tell me which modules that you undertook in the degree...

It would be ridiculous as per say, if you had to redo 14 modules. As far as the guidelines of the uniform assessment of overseas applicants are concerned I had a good look at the thing and most of the module descriptions corresponds to what I have studied in similar depth and content. since you graduated in 2010, I believe that there should be t much descreptencies between what you studied and what I studied.

I do hope they have reverted back to you and asked you to redo fewer modules... Here's wishful thinking...

Yours sincerely

andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to the LPAB to appeal their determination which will be reviewed in February. I will provide details of this when I get them. As for $675 that includes the examination in the subject too. This is done through the legal extensions committee and provided at the university of sydney.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, I intend to pursue a Graduate LLB at the University of Nottingham and return to practice in Australia. The 2 year period taken to complete the degree and the opportunity to live in the UK for 2 years is too hard for me to resist! However, I am really worried about what kind of shock they will pull on me after I complete my degree. From what I understand, I need to have completed the Priestley 11 subjects (Criminal, Contracts, Torts etc). However I am not sure how much would be recognised. For example, the requirements in Australia state them as Property Law, Equity and Trusts, Administrative Law and Law of Evidence. I was wondering how much difference would there be in these courses and whether Admin Law is the same as Public Law; or if Law of Trusts include Equity as well; or does Principles of Criminal Evidence the same as Law of Evidence. Clearly, semantics play a critical role in highlighting the course content, and there might be other issues of legal knowledge covered in Nottingham courses but not reflected in the name itself. How does it all work in the UK?

Would love to listen to more experiences about getting assessed in Australia! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm currently finishing my second year studying Law LLB in the UK. In the future (after completing my LLB) I hope to move over to Oz and convert my degree, as in this thread. I'm debating doing a third year studying law in Oz, before returning to complete my degree here. I was wondering if anyone knows if this would aid my application in reducing the extra modules I may be required to take to convert my degree or not?

Becca

As a law librarian and legal trainer, I rate don't rate your chances of simply moving to Australia with a UK law degree at all. I've worked with English lawyers, some with up to 10 years experience who have had difficulty in finding jobs. You cannot practice until you have been admitted in Australia and need to do a conversion course and period of supervised training. Even with UK legal work experience you may only get work as a paralegal if you are lucky until you have done this. I've known English lawyers who have had to go back to uni and do a full Aussie law degree at vast expense and start all over again. Some have found the transition very tough and I have had to give one person, detailed introductory training to Australian law as they were making errors because they did not know Australian practice and procedure.

Competition for grad places is extremely tough and law firms want grads with knowledge of state and Commonwealth law so Uk/English law is of little use to them. In many areas, Aussie law is very different to English law. It certainly seems to me that Australian law degrees are much tougher than UK ones so unless you are going to get a 2:1 or above Aussie firms will probably not even look at you. Getting a summer clerkship or part time job at a law firm is a 'must' so if you haven't got such experience, forget it.

Your best route will be to complete your UK degree, get admitted to practice and a get few years work experience in a Uk law firm before even thinking of coming to Australia. I have never heard of anyone getting a job straight from a UK uni in Australia. Look at the requirements to practice on the relevant state Law Society website.

• 1 year later...

Hey

I'm in the same situation as this, looking to apply to the Legal Practice Board in WA soon for assessment of my UK LLB Law degree. Does anyone have an update or experience of applying for this assessment, how many units they had to retake etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Tia

As Mr Bear says, there are some trades that translate easily from UK to Aus. Law is not one of them - the statutes differ even from state to state so moving as a lawyer within Australia is difficult. If anything, knowledge of a different legal system is likely to be a hindrance, not a help.

As Mr Bear says, there are some trades that translate easily from UK to Aus. Law is not one of them - the statutes differ even from state to state so moving as a lawyer within Australia is difficult. If anything, knowledge of a different legal system is likely to be a hindrance, not a help.

Yep, thats why you have to do units to convert your degree. I was hoping to hear from people who have experience of applying to the legal practice board? Thanks

Hi all,

I found this thread very interesting as this is a point that I am currently researching myself. I graduated with my LLB in 2012 and also completed 3/4 of my LPC (although I unfortunately didn't finish it due to family circumstances, so not sure whether my completed modules would count) and I have been working in a Residential Conveyancing Firm in the UK for the last year. Like a few others on this thread, I am looking towards qualifying in Oz (I am due to arrive in Sydney in September).

I've made plenty of enquiries through LPAB of NSW and Sydney College of Law, I'm currently awaiting the necessary info and will share it here once it arrives in the hope of helping some other confused Legal Beagles in the same boat as me :smile:

Hi guys.

just to update on my post of 2012.

I have had had my degree assessed by the admissions board and. I am currently studying at Bond University on the Goldcoast.

I have to do seven modules - constitutional, administrative, evidence, civil procedure, legal ethics, Equity, and corporations and business law. These subjects are approximately $4000 per subject. After that I have to do the PLT which is LPC equivalent, yet shorter in duration than UK. That will cost approx $17000.

So pretty expensive.

Unless you have completed your LPC you will have to do the Australian equivalent. Even if you have practices law in the UK it is my understanding that one would still have to do at least constitutional and legal ethics

• 1 year later...
Guest guest110762

Hi Yabba, just a quick question as I am intending to convert my UK law degree to an australian one. I was just wondering did you do the equivalent subjects during your study at the UK university such as evidence, and equity and despite that, the admission board still required you to do the australian equivalent?

Because the subjects that I have taken are Administrative and Constitutional law, civil justice system, criminal justice system, contract law, land law, tort law, criminal law, european union law (which obv doesnt matter in aussie), company law, evidence, equity and trusts. So i figured i would only have to do the other subjects such as ethics and federal and state constitutional law. Because doing 7 modules again especially if its the same subjects, its too much and I wouldn't consider moving to aus then.

Hi there.

In answer to your question, I had successfully completed Administrative law and constitutional, Equity and Trusts , Civil justice etc. The only subjects I had not completed in as great a depth were evidence and corporate/business law, which the latter corporate/business, out here, are two seperate modules.

Anyway, as you can appreciate, I have been luckier than others. Each UK degree is assessed individually, so it may be 4 modules for some or 7, or more. I have heard 16 in somebody's case, but that seems excessive.

I think for an English degree, no matter where you have studied it, the minimum one would have to do to convert is constitutional law, legal ethics, Equity (if you studied equity and trusts together in the UK) and civil procedure. So at best 3 or 4 modules to convert.

each module I have studied so far has cost me $4000 with the exception of ethics which is $2000.

good luck in what ever you choose to do!

Hi Yabba;

i had completed my law form India with almost 30 subjects. ...... I am planning to apply for assesment as per Section 5.... Do you have any idea ....how many modules they can ask to do for an Indian Degree ....... Also I had the solicitors are on skill shortage list released on July 2015... So is there favourable opportunities for Asians.... Please assist......

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so, taking a step back from the whole reassessing your degree and taking modules to practice in Australia topic, I wanted to throw my two cents in.

Since "Solicitor" and "Barrister" are on the skilled occupation list for a skilled independant visa, if you were to have got your LLB degree, passed your UK LPC (to practice as a solicitor) or your UK Bar exams (to practice as a barrister), and have had a years worth experience or so, would this be enough to qualify for your visa? Surely it would as you'd have points for experience and eduation etc.

Main point is: If you have qualified in the UK fully, can you make the move and get a visa, or is the reassessment and modules etc. necessary just to get the visa or only to practice?

Many thanks.