can you jump states?

Guest pringle73

Guest pringle73

hi ive just started my application for skilled migrants visa state sponsured by WA, only thing is me and my partner want to go to nsw were my aunt and uncle and cousins stay but they are not accepting our trades their as a hairdresser and butcher, my question is, once we get our visas can we jump states from WA and go to NSW?

The conditions of your sponsorship are that you remain in WA for two years... However this condition does not actually apply to your visa. Morally - in my opinion - you shouldn't apply for state sponsorship if you have no intention to live there.

I agree with that

There are lots of threads on here about it. You can do it but I don't think you should. TBH I think it's only a matter of time before this visa class is done away with and state sponsored visas become temporary until you have fulfilled your obligation, there are so many people abusing it

I would say look a the reason why you jobs arent sponsered by NSW. The reason would probably be that there isnt sufficiant work there for you. We had similar we were heading for Queensland as my daughter lived there but only WA would sponser our applications so we ended up in WA. Bloomin glad too as we love it. Two years goes really quickly then if you still feel you want to go to NSW look for jobs then move. It is only a moral obligation at the moment but please remember that the application process can change at any time. Good luck :wubclub:

Yes you can. A 176 visa allows you to live anywhere in Australia from day one.

But you're agreeing to sponsorship on the basis that you're going to live in a state or territory for two years. So you'd be breaking this, or lying them, and might have deprived them of a worker who might have filled a position that there's a skills shortage in. That's why the obligation exists, and if people flout it then they might start to apply sanctions on immigrants.

Guest jak2503
hi ive just started my application for skilled migrants visa state sponsured by WA, only thing is me and my partner want to go to nsw were my aunt and uncle and cousins stay but they are not accepting our trades their as a hairdresser and butcher, my question is, once we get our visas can we jump states from WA and go to NSW?

your always going to get slaughtered on here with that sort of question, the moral brigade, the do the right thing brigade, the 2 years isnt long brigade, anyway in answer to your question yes you could in theory not even go to wa, you could get sponsorship and fly direct to nsw, wether its right or wrong thats irrelevant theres your answer.

your always going to get slaughtered on here with that sort of question, the moral brigade, the do the right thing brigade, the 2 years isnt long brigade, anyway in answer to your question yes you could in theory not even go to wa, you could get sponsorship and fly direct to nsw, wether its right or wrong thats irrelevant theres your answer.

You make having morals sound so negative, and I seem to be in a lot of Brigades ... do I get something for that?

But to answer the OP from what I believe it is a moral obligation, however as others have said there's a reason your occupations aren't required in the state you'd rather live in. I don't know how you get around the forms they send you asking where you are living etc.,. and if it's only a moral obligation, then be up front and tell DIAC that that you're not going to live in the state

You're much kinder than me Ali. Beats me how some of the same people who bang about how the UK has gone to the dogs because of people behaving "badly" (bankers, immigrants, chavs, take your pick, it's anyone but themselves usually) have no compunction about lying to a foreign country's immigration authorities for their own benefit. I recognise this doesn't apply to the OP as they just asked a simple question, but the moral aspect is not irrelevant

You're much kinder than me Ali. Beats me how some of the same people who bang about how the UK has gone to the dogs because of people behaving "badly" (bankers, immigrants, chavs, take your pick, it's anyone but themselves usually) have no compunction about lying to a foreign country's immigration authorities for their own benefit. I recognise this doesn't apply to the OP as they just asked a simple question, but the moral aspect is not irrelevant

Couldn't have said it better.

I'll leave the ethical considerations to others; I've made my opinions clear in previous threads and by my own actions.

That aside to give a specific answer to the OP:

The visa 176 is granted by the federal government (in Canberra) but your 'sponsorship' would be provided by a state/territory. Federal laws override state/territory which means that the state/territory cannot apply any conditions to the resultant visa, should you be fortunate to get one (remember sponsorship DOES NOT automatically grant a visa). During the application for sponsorship, assuming all states and territories are similar, you sign/pledge/promise/agree to stay in that specifc state for at least two years but that cannot be applied as a condition to your visa because it is a federal matter not state/territory.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

4lan

I think, personally the least you could do is stay in WA for the first 2 years! I know its only a moral obligation but they have given you a route in...We initially wanted to go to WA - we have both family and friends there and things would have been easier - however they are not offering sponsorship for my occupation whereas SA are. The more i research SA the more i like it and 2 years goes by so quickly, then if we dont like it we can begin to look else where. We are open minded and are ready for the challenge ahead, we have no intention of going anywhere else other than SA for the first couple of years and morally i couldnt do it! Afterall SA will have provided the pathway for our visa and without them we wouldnt be able to chase our dream.

Yes,you can.

Guest jak2503
I think, personally the least you could do is stay in WA for the first 2 years! I know its only a moral obligation but they have given you a route in...We initially wanted to go to WA - we have both family and friends there and things would have been easier - however they are not offering sponsorship for my occupation whereas SA are. The more i research SA the more i like it and 2 years goes by so quickly(NO IT DOESNT IF YOU FEEL LIKE ITS HELL AND ALL YOUR FAMILY IS LIVING IN WA), then if we dont like it we can begin to look else where. We are open minded and are ready for the challenge ahead, we have no intention of going anywhere else other than SA for the first couple of years and morally i couldnt do it!(WAIT UNTILL YOU RUN OUT OF WORK OR MONEY AND SUDDENLY MOVING STATES DOESNT SEEM THAT MORALLY BAD) Afterall SA will have provided the pathway for our visa and without them we wouldnt be able to chase our dream.(IT WOULD BE INTERSTING TO FIND OUT HOW MANY STATE VISA HOLDERS ACTUALLY STAY IN STATE, WHILE ITS OPEN TO ABUSE IT WILL ALWAYS BE A PATHWAY IN FOR PEOPLE)

All im saying is its easy to judge folks on here, everyone is different, and most people just want to get to aus and start a new life, i did vic state sponser and found it to be like hell on earth, struggled with work and money ect, moved to qld and thrived, work ok and getting ahead, im not baging you just saying how it is.

In fairness I don't think there'a anything wrong if you've tried to get work and get on in the state that sponsors you and haven't been able to, and then move. No moral issue with that, so long as you gave it a go. It's going for a state sponsorship when you've no intention of working or living in that state at all, just to get into Australia, that's wrong. It's the dishonesty, y'see, nothing more complicated than that

• Like 1

All im saying is its easy to judge folks on here, everyone is different, and most people just want to get to aus and start a new life, i did vic state sponser and found it to be like hell on earth, struggled with work and money ect, moved to qld and thrived, work ok and getting ahead, im not baging you just saying how it is.

But you tried to fulfill your obligation to Victoria ... I think it's different than having no intention of going to the state at all (IMHO).

its a different story when you have actually tried living in the state to begin with, but not to go there at all is what i was commenting on!

• 6 months later...
Guest Ausmom

We moved in WA after getting state sponsorship in March and till now, my husband struggling to get a job here. before moving here we tried three months since we have been granted the sponsorship. As he did not get any good response at all and I also left my permanent job , he had to request to his boss and made an work from home arrangement till he finds any job in WA with the condition that he will travel to his office at his own expense whenever it is required for the job. This arrangement left us no where , but spoiling all our savings, mentally distressing situation etc etc.But we were continuing this way and trying hard to get a job.. but now, we can see lesser and lesser no of job coming in his field and our bank balance going down and down! on the top of that, his boss declared that he is not going to support him for two years like that specially in this economic situation and he have no option but leave the job if he can not come back.

Now we are desperate enough to move state, no other option left specially when I am expecting another child and expenses are rising day by day!

Can anyone suggest what is the best way to contact SS people regarding this, mail them, or call them or meet them personally?We gave it a fair go for 6 months but now, need their blessings to move to ther state..

Please share any experience that might give us some confidence to face this..any help kind word would be appreciated..

I's suggest trying Perth, its nice and the closest place thats OK to live near a foreign country so you dont have to remorgage to go on holiday.

Forgetting morals for a moment, you could spend a few weeks in Perth and then go to NSW. When you get there write the WA authority and say you couldnt find work and that you were offered work in NSW so you had to go.

End of the day its your life and your journey and I'd say you should use any way possible to get what you want. All this moral cr*p is just that.

We moved in WA after getting state sponsorship in March and till now, my husband struggling to get a job here. before moving here we tried three months since we have been granted the sponsorship. As he did not get any good response at all and I also left my permanent job , he had to request to his boss and made an work from home arrangement till he finds any job in WA with the condition that he will travel to his office at his own expense whenever it is required for the job. This arrangement left us no where , but spoiling all our savings, mentally distressing situation etc etc.But we were continuing this way and trying hard to get a job.. but now, we can see lesser and lesser no of job coming in his field and our bank balance going down and down! on the top of that, his boss declared that he is not going to support him for two years like that specially in this economic situation and he have no option but leave the job if he can not come back.

Now we are desperate enough to move state, no other option left specially when I am expecting another child and expenses are rising day by day!

Can anyone suggest what is the best way to contact SS people regarding this, mail them, or call them or meet them personally?We gave it a fair go for 6 months but now, need their blessings to move to ther state..

Please share any experience that might give us some confidence to face this..any help kind word would be appreciated..

if you have tried and haven't been able to secure a job then you should do what you need to do.... You can't be expected to live on thin air!

In fairness I don't think there'a anything wrong if you've tried to get work and get on in the state that sponsors you and haven't been able to, and then move. No moral issue with that, so long as you gave it a go. It's going for a state sponsorship when you've no intention of working or living in that state at all, just to get into Australia, that's wrong. It's the dishonesty, y'see, nothing more complicated than that

This is so right as you say if you apply for WA and get there and give it a go and need to move for work or other reasons then fine but to apply just to get into oz and then not even go there.... Very wrong and one of the reasone is someone could have applied with the full intention of moving there and not get sponsorship if they have reached their target ss by giving it to you and others doing the same thing....Not nice really as others have the same dream of a new life on oz....

I don't think you need to inform them you are moving states. My understanding is its a moral agreement, not a legal one. I'd just notify them of your new address info etc. Perhaps give them a call to discuss first to ensure you inform them correctly but you don't need their blessing that I know of.

yup, well laid plans don't always go as you wish. been tough finding a job in SA. Waiting to hear back on the latest soon. If I cant get a job but Feb time I will go to a different state too.

Are you in SA at present?