Construction site manager nvq qualifications - advice

Hi All,

I'm new to this sight so hope I'm posting in the place I need to be posting!

My husband and I are looking at going over to Oz at some point and hopefully he can get sponsored by work as he is a Construction Site Manager (retail) here in the UK.

My question is, he currently has an NVQ 4 qualification in this field and he is looking at completing an NVQ6 this year, is this recognised in Australia? If not, what does he need to do?

Help, clueless!

Thanks so much...

Karen

Hi,

Not sure if I can offer much help here, but, my husband is Australian and is in Construction / Fit-out.

We are currently living in Scotland and he is completing his NVQ3. He is a carpenter/joiner (qualified in Australia) and we have ping ponged between Scotland and Sydney over the last 12 years...

In 2000 we moved to Scotland, where he worked as a joiner. When we returned to Australia in 2003 he got a job as a Site Manager (fit-out) in Sydney (he had no formal quals other than his carpentry/joiner cert from Australia and 10 odd years of experience). We then moved back to Scotland in 2008 and he got a job as a Contracts Manager and then a Project Manager. We are currently trying to sell our home in Scotland with a view to returning to Sydney sometime this year or next.

My husband is not sure if NVQ is recognised in Australia officially, however, every qualification helps. He's not sure if your husband could secure sponsorship from here, but I am sure if you went out there and he got a job he would then have no problem in getting sponsored once there. Good luck!

Its not recognized officially but as km75 said every qualification helps. I know if once he finishes his nvq lev 6 if he joins the professional body CIOB I'm pretty sure that that membership is recognised in Aus by the Aus institute of building. When I looked at it a couple of years ago obtaining certain levels of an NVQ gave you an opportunity to apply for a certain level of membership which was then recognised in Aus. Have a look at the couple of links below. You could probably email the Aus institute and ask them as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Institute_of_Building

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartered_Institute_of_Building

Hope this helps a bit.

Nvq is not recognised. Construction project manager is a qualifications based trade of which the requirement is an Australian bachelor degree or equal.

The skills assessment is done by vetasses.

The only other way I believe is as the other post said join the ciob. However the joining criteria for this is quite strict if you have no degree you will need to apply for associate membership, then there's 2 choices either undertake 450 hours of study (last 2 years of a degree) or you will need to do their pdp course. This will take at least a year to do.

Once complete you can apply for full membership of the ciob however you will need to be nominated , write an extensive essay on your experience and reasons for wanting to join. If lucky you will then get an invite to attend a professional interview for consideration of membership. If accepted you then pay a fee to join and also have to carry on pdp for a number of hours each year.

Having been an associate member for a number of years I have not renewed my membership or applied to become a full member as it is not recognised by anyone over here in oz. it's never mentioned at interview stage or anything.

Loving Fremantle!

• 3 years later...
Nvq is not recognised. Construction project manager is a qualifications based trade of which the requirement is an Australian bachelor degree or equal.

The skills assessment is done by vetasses.

The only other way I believe is as the other post said join the ciob. However the joining criteria for this is quite strict if you have no degree you will need to apply for associate membership, then there's 2 choices either undertake 450 hours of study (last 2 years of a degree) or you will need to do their pdp course. This will take at least a year to do.

Once complete you can apply for full membership of the ciob however you will need to be nominated , write an extensive essay on your experience and reasons for wanting to join. If lucky you will then get an invite to attend a professional interview for consideration of membership. If accepted you then pay a fee to join and also have to carry on pdp for a number of hours each year.

Having been an associate member for a number of years I have not renewed my membership or applied to become a full member as it is not recognised by anyone over here in oz. it's never mentioned at interview stage or anything.

Loving Fremantle!

Hi, can you confirm that Vettasses recognises full membership with the CIOB as equivalent to a degree? I received membership in Jan and waiting the 12 months post grad experience out but I am a bit concerned I am pursuing something that wont work. I have 7 years in senior management in construction in the UK and completed the EPA route.

Regards

C

• 3 weeks later...

m

Hi Chris,

I am looking for the same information as you are, please let me know if you find out about the EPA routes suitability.

Thanks,

Shane

Morning Shane

Im waiting for the Vettasses advisory service, CIOB ed. department sent them a query as well. I'm also waiting for NARIC (UK equiv of Vettasses) as they have already assessed the membership as equivalent to a NVQ6 and parts of 7 but hopefully a letter from them will strengthen the case if required. I am hoping others have set the precedence already, I want to fish!!

Waiting...

Regards

Chris

• Like 1

m

Morning Shane

Im waiting for the Vettasses advisory service, CIOB ed. department sent them a query as well. I'm also waiting for NARIC (UK equiv of Vettasses) as they have already assessed the membership as equivalent to a NVQ6 and parts of 7 but hopefully a letter from them will strengthen the case if required. I am hoping others have set the precedence already, I want to fish!!

Waiting...

Regards

Chris

Hey Chris,

Please let me know how that goes.

I'm going to also try do a bit more digging.

Thanks,

S

I'm not sure CIOB will be able to help? I'm chartered through IOB and they have quite tight membership requirements. I'm also sorry to say that many of the people who went to the mines initially left the construction industry. Now the mining has slowed, they are back to construction meaning a push down on wages and nothing like as many positions available especially for imigrants.

S