Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest elliej

Bad situation - advice needed

Recommended Posts

Guest elliej

I met my partner 2 years ago in Cambodia while I was teaching in the slums over there. After my placement I went over to Australia on a working holiday visa to live with my partner. After applying for a partner visa I was put on bridging visa A. This was 10 months ago. I live in a rural area and was given special permission by the authorities to continue working as I am a teacher and gained a permant job at my local school. I have recently been promoted into a senior position too and loving it.


After not seeing my family for 2 years I took my partner over to visit them this Xmas in England. After 4 weeks we are now back in Cambodia for 2 weeks in the slums, working with those HIV infected kids. I deliberately went during this period because it is the school holidays.


I have just found out that because I am on a bridging visa A I cannot leave the country. NO ONE TOLD ME THIS. It was purely an accident. My only choice is to go back on a tourist visa (if it comes through in time) Therefore I CANNOT WORK and have to instead sit around in this rural community with nothing to do instead of contributing to it. I have also been running a successful gymnastics club. As the only gymnastics qualified coach in the area the other coaches are training under me. 130 kids will now have no gymnastics.


I am SO annoyed especially as I went to visit my family who I havent seen in 2 years and spend some time doing good work to the poor in Cambodia. I havent told my bosses yet and I dont know what they are going to do.


Anyone else found themselves in this situation, advice please...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest31881

Not sure with these bridging visas, but is it to late to ask for bridging visa B from the Australian embassy where you are. I think you are going to have to ask an agent for an informed opinion about this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't Panic!


Information Booklet 1024i says that you can apply for a replacement bridging visa if you return to Australia and your previous briding visa has ceased because you left the country. You will need to complete form 1005. These documents are available electronically on the immi website.


I would contact the Embassy in Phnom Penh in the first instance to explain what has happened and find out whether you should apply for a replacement visa now in Cambodia or on arrival in Australia. You may need some form of travel permit to be allowed to check in for your return flight. I will guarantee you're not the first person this has happened to and the fact that you have been doing voluntary work - as opposed to sunning yourself in Bali - will mean people will try to help you.


Best of luck.


(My mum taught for a year and a half in Battambang and has been back at least once - she loved it)

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now