Options while waiting for Parent visa

Guest obrieju

Guest obrieju

Hi all.

I am looking at options for bringing my mother over to Australia, she is 61 so probably won't work once she arrives in Australia. She is single and her only two children (myself and my brother) are both Australian residents.

I think the best avenue will be a parent visa (either contributory or not). If we go for a non contributory, I know it could take a long time (maybe 10 years plus) to be finalised.

I am wondering if she could apply for some kind of visitor/bridging visa for her to come and live in Australia while she is waiting for the parent visa to be approved? I know she won't be able to work, but this probably isn't an issue in her circumstances. She is keen to get over as soon as possible.

Appreciate any responses or suggestions - thanks!

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum, firstly I'm not a migration agent so you will probably need to take some professional advice.

i would be tempted to wait until your mum is eligible for the aged visa 804 http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/aged/804/eligibility-applicant.htm your mum can then come over on a ETA and as long as she doesn't have the no further stay condition attached she can apply onshore for the 804 as long as she meets the eligibility ie balance of family etc. Once she has applied for this visa she will automatically be granted a bridging visa allowing her to stay until a decision has been made on the visa which could be 10 years. Join the pomsinadelaide forum and have a peak at this great thread, http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/4509-cheap-parent-visas-part-i-9.html

• 2 weeks later...
Guest obrieju

Thanks for that. Sounds like that would work for her if she is happy to wait a few more years.

I assume then that a similar option (i.e. bridging/ETA) is not available under a normal parental visa