Looking for guidance and advice.

Michael Owens

[h=2][/h]

Hi,im Michael 22. Im new to the site and joined yesterday through recommendation from a friend. After saving for quite a long time i am finally ready to head out to Oz later in the year.

I have a trade in the plumbing and gas industry and applied for a skilled migration visa, however i recieved a reply saying giving my age i would be better suited to do the working holiday visa but im ot sure what affect this will have on me being able to get a job in the tade when i get to Oz. Also it has concerned me after reading many comments on here about people finding it hard to find jobs in construction.

Im not going out there with the view of just wanting to do one specific job, if so i will consider other options outside of my trade. I would be extremely gratful if anyone with a greater knowledge and experience in my situation could pass on some advice to me.

Thanks

Michael

Hiya Michael,

Welcome to the site!

I am in a sort of similar position to you, although I'm not ready to depart yet.

I did spend a good lot of 2010 traveling around Australia on a Tourist visa, although I spent lots of time with people on WHV.

Just a quick question; who told you it would be better to go on a WHV? I'm not saying this is wrong, just interested.

One thing to consider with a WHV is the fact that you can only work for each employer for a maximum of 6 months. I found that it seemed best to only apply for temporary jobs when on a WHV. These can sometimes, but not always lead to sponsorship, so this is something to consider.

Another option to spend time out there for longer could be to; do 3 months farm work in an area specified by the Oz government. This then allows you to expand your WHV by another year.

Another option to consider may be; to go out on the WHV as suggested and see how you like it, how you get on. If you don't get sponsorship, you could always come back at say 24 and then apply for skilled migration video. What do you think?

The great thing with the WHV is the fact that it is so easy to get and gives you lots of flexibility.

I hope that helps a little, if i can give you any more info then just shout!

Good luck either way, let us know how you get on!

Anna.

Hi Anna

Thankyou for your advice its very helpfull and i really appretiate as im new to all of this and in the early stages.

I applied through the visa bureau website, that is when they got back to me saying in my situation it would be best to do the WHV, htey also said it only takes up to 8 weeks to sort out so im waiting til closer to the time i want to go and doing as much research and getting as much advice as i can in the mean time.

When are you looking to head back out? Will you be going on a WHV this time?

Michael

Hi Anna

Thankyou for your advice its very helpfull and i really appretiate as im new to all of this and in the early stages.

I applied through the visa bureau website, that is when they got back to me saying in my situation it would be best to do the WHV, htey also said it only takes up to 8 weeks to sort out so im waiting til closer to the time i want to go and doing as much research and getting as much advice as i can in the mean time.

When are you looking to head back out? Will you be going on a WHV this time?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Visa Bureau are not necessarily the best people to sort your visa for you. I have found them to be expensive and don't always give the best advice. I'm not trying to slate them, but in my experience and the experience of lots of my friends, the best people to go to for this sort of thing is the Australian Government themselves. You can do the whole lot online at: http://www.immi.gov.au

They will charge you the correct price for any visa you decide on, and are really the best people to advise you. You will probably also notice that their website, (the Official one,) looks remarkably similar to the visa bureau!!!

Whenever I have applied for visas for Aus, I always do it through the Australian government and cut out the middle man. I'm talking simple visas such as a tourist or WHV. if you are after a more permanent complicated one, you may want to choose to use a reputable agent.

I have found, that when people I know have applied for WHV's they tend to come through in a matter of days, not weeks. However, I would get the visa in place before you book any flights, it would be awful if you had a flight booked and then for whatever reason the visa didn't work out and you lost all that money. the chances of not getting a WHV are very small though, unless you have criminal convictions.

I applied for a WHV online before I decided to go to Uni, and I had it through 2 days later.

I'm hoping to head out in about 6 years. A long time I know, but I need to qualify, pay off my loan and get some experience. Yeah I will be going out on a WHV initially and then hoping to find sponsorship if I can.

Hope that has helped. If you need anything else, then don't hesitate to ask.

Anna.

A WHV visa is really straightforward to apply for and doesn't take long to come through at all. Usually done inside a few days. You should be fine applying for this yourself and save pennies. Just read the http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/ info and go from there. I'd really not use any visa company to help with your application as it is simple enough. Just read all the blurb, make sure you have all the paperwork etc in order and a passport that isn't due to expire any time soon and it should be fine.

At 22 I think it'd be a great starting point and give you up to 2 years in Aus to see if you like it and so on and to travel round and see the country. If you really want to stay on (find a job to sponsor you or some such) you can try. Or return to the UK (or go on to NZ perhaps?) and if you decide Aus is where you want to be in the longer term, look to going back on a more permanent visa later on.