NowPerth

Can anyone identify our snake?

Hi.

I'm hoping that someone on here might be able to identify today's house guest please. :notworthy: I've tried several identification websites and have only managed to narrow it down to 'a snake' :smile:. It was in a built up area 1.5 miles from beach, 40 mins North of Perth. About 50 cm long, although I didn't have a tape measure on me at the time :wink:.

Snakesmall.jpg

Any suggestions?

Snakesmall.jpg

Wherever you are, make the most of it.

the spider is Dorris for sure as she went missing last night .........is it a one eyed snake ........?

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

Guest Guest16631

........google a dugite snake.............looks similar.......

Guest AKA63029
Hi.

I'm hoping that someone on here might be able to identify today's house guest please. :notworthy: I've tried several identification websites and have only managed to narrow it down to 'a snake' :smile:. It was in a built up area 1.5 miles from beach, 40 mins North of Perth. About 50 cm long, although I didn't have a tape measure on me at the time :wink:.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10755[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions?

Hi mate.

Snake ID at the very best of times can be blooming difficult.

Juveniles, weather, size all 'can' make detailed ID very difficult. I would err to the Brown/Duggite snake (juvenile) but I could be way off the mark.

However the white one is the rare 'Lesser Albino Shaped Like Hose Western Tube Snake'. Not dangerous at all, very rarely moves but indeed a pleasure to see.:frown:

In all seriousness mate, while I pride myself on being able to recognize many species of venomous animals of Australia this one has stumped me a little, just keep away and let it go on it's merry way is my best advice.

Cheers Tony.

........google a dugite snake.............looks similar.......

That was one of the possibilities. I was hoping it wasn't as it starts the description with '!VERY DANGEROUS', and announces that they are one of the main contenders for deaths from bites. :shocked:

Guest Guest16631

.........I get a lot of snakes here and.......always presume they are deadly..........call a snake catcher and watch where it goes from a safe place................they usually would try to avoid you........ Keep safe....tink x

Is it likely to be 'Ingrams Brown Snake'?

Guest Guest16631

............any brown snake is not good news...........hard to tell what they are when you see them up close even...as Tony said age and size will make a difference .............I keep terriers.........good for keeping them away from the house........

Never mind the snake but is that a spider on the wall? wot kind if spider is that? looks big enough to eat the snake for!!!

im starting to go off this down under adventure!! like spiders you can dyson then throw outside. That one looks like it could hoover for you :-))

Guest Guest16631

......btw After living here for 20 years I am still poor at identifying them...........they make me very nervous........not long ago the dogs caught one.....(pic on I know no o e will care thread somewhere) ........it was in bits and I still jumped out of my skin when I thought it moved...........best left alone..........

............any brown snake is not good news...........hard to tell what they are when you see them up close even...as Tony said age and size will make a difference .............I keep terriers.........good for keeping them away from the house........

Hi tink....

Do ur dogs really keep snakes away? my 2 terriers are good at rats and mice but i thought a snake would be no competition!! is it the scent and noise of the dogs that scare off the snakes?

Very curious :-))

Guest AKA63029

As Tink says, 'ALWAYS' presume they are venomous, safer in the long run. Nine times out of ten the little blighters will run/slide a mile once it knows you are not a potential meal, any messing with it could just trigger the old defences off and a bite could follow.

Just be thankful it wasn't a Taipan, ran once from one and the bugger kept up with me for a while.:laugh:

Guest Bleeding Thorn13

Hi there,

I also think you could be right Tink, it could be a Dugite snake, they are usually found hiding amongst rocks near beaches & are venomous, or a juvenile brown & as Tony mentioned any snake is hard to identify particularly when they are young, the best thing to do is leave it to slither away.. Here is a link to a wildlife park if you need any further assistance. <CITE>http://www.armadalereptilecentre.com.au/</CITE>.

_DSC3381.jpg

Guest Guest16631
Hi tink....

Do ur dogs really keep snakes away? my 2 terriers are good at rats and mice but i thought a snake would be no competition!! is it the scent and noise of the dogs that scare off the snakes?

Very curious :-))

......Iwas told the scent of the dogs and the fact that snakes like .......somewhere quiet to hide away...........not near other animals...............best to train your dogs not to go near them though..........we do have a bull terrier who will kill them if near the house though...........He always grabs them just behind the head........don,t know if it's instinct or just luck..........he,s never been bitten ........touch wood.......and is about 10 years old now.........middle name lucky......lol

Guest AKA63029
Hi there,

I also think you could be right Tink, it could be a Dugite snake, they are usually found hiding amongst rocks near beaches & are venomous, or a juvenile brown & as Tony mentioned any snake is hard to identify particularly when they are young, the best thing to do is leave it to slither away.. Here is a link to a wildlife park if you need any further assistance. <cite>www.armadalereptilecentre.com.au/</cite>.

_DSC3381.jpg

I'd say you and Tink have it right Thorn, looks very similar to the one in the OP.:notworthy:

In my crocodile Dundee voice "You call that a snake, this is a snake"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10756[/ATTACH]

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Do you live near a swamp - colouring looks a bit like a tiger snake. But the shape is more like a dugite. Dugites are normally dark - but you can get lighter shades. Either way it'll kill you. Did you remove it safely?

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Guest AKA63029

I remember many moons ago when in OZ a fellow backpacker decided to hook up with me, I couldn't lose him for love nor money.

So one day I decided to fight fire with fire and took him on a trek to the Daintree.

Never saw him after that,:elvis:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10757[/ATTACH]

Guest Guest16631

........dugites..... Can be grey green and brown so co our is not a good way of identifying them............ but they have little heads........hope all is well and it's been dealt with successfully..........

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
......Iwas told the scent of the dogs and the fact that snakes like .......somewhere quiet to hide away...........not near other animals...............best to train your dogs not to go near them though..........we do have a bull terrier who will kill them if near the house though...........He always grabs them just behind the head........don,t know if it's instinct or just luck..........he,s never been bitten ........touch wood.......and is about 10 years old now.........middle name lucky......lol

When I worked in northern NSW as a Jackaroo, I encounted all kinds of snakes, I had my dogs with me one day when we were out walking through a paddock, when a Red Bellie Black reared up & chased after us, we made it safely away but I always worried for my dogs getting bitten, we were in an isolated area & there was no way they would have survived...I can only think that we may have been a nest...I had my dogs well trained & he he he BTW Tink, one of my dogs were called Lucky...Lucky to be alive that is...:animal-bat:

Guest Guest16631

......btw it's a protected species.........so there is a fine if it's killed or injured.........unless in self defense of course.....lol. ......thought it best to let you know.........I always get rid of any bodies.....

Guest Bleeding Thorn13
In my crocodile Dundee voice "You call that a snake, this is a snake"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10756[/ATTACH]

No Kate, that's not a snake this is a snake....

[video=youtube_share;klI2CA7wqMg]

[video=youtube_share;eC9V4OBPbSs]http://youtu.be/eC9V4OBPbSs

This is awesome!!!:animal-bat::cool:

Guest AKA63029
No Kate, that's not a snake this is a snake....

[video=youtube_share;klI2CA7wqMg]

This is awesome!!!:animal-bat::cool:

Always wanted to see a Retic in the wild Thorn, the big ones are far and few between now, people go on about the Anaconda but to me the Retic is a truly stunning snake, though not poisonous it is a marvel I imagine.

Got close ONCE to a King Cobra in India, but only a fleeting glance, must have been at least nine feet, but these things can grow to twenty odd feet and are venomous. But once again becoming very rare indeed.:sad:

Hi.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10755[/ATTACH]

Any suggestions?

looks like een o them that you wud hit oor the back o the heed wee a lang shafted shovel, hate snakes:angel_happy_face_ha