What year would I be in?

Guest MarcJacobsDaisy

Guest MarcJacobsDaisy

Hi there :) I am 16 and currently in year 11 at my school. Me and my family are moving to Perth in July/August time and I was just wondering if anybody had an idea of what school year I would go into? I plan to take my A-Levels or whatever the Australian equivalent is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daisy :cute:

Hi there :) I am 16 and currently in year 11 at my school. Me and my family are moving to Perth in July/August time and I was just wondering if anybody had an idea of what school year I would go into? I plan to take my A-Levels or whatever the Australian equivalent is.

Look forward to any replies as my children too are in Yr 11 and we hopefully are moving later in the year. From what I can gather you will still be in Yr 11 until end of Nov this year and then start Yr 12 after Xmas. Stood to be corrected if I am wrong.

You will be arriving half way through an academic year so you may be wise to go into year 10 and then begin year 11 in 2013 so you can do the whole 2 year course (you may well be disadvantaged if you miss 25% of the course). Alternatively, it might make more sense for you to stay in UK and finish your A levels if your family move over. It isnt a good time of your education to be moving over but if you are prepared to be pragmatic and work hard you should be ok

I agree with Quoll on the part that it may be wise to start year 10 as the curiculum is very diffeent and having missed chunk it my be impossible to catch up.

Our daughter had completed year 7 when we moved and would have been starting year 8 in Sep, but when we arrived it was at the start of the last term of the year so it made sense for her to start in year 7 and just do the term, not the same I appreciate but thought it may help as an insight.

It is not uncommon for children to be in a year behind where they should be as if they do not have enough points at the end of the year they ar held back and have to repeat that year anyway.

Guest MarcJacobsDaisy

Thank you for both of your replies, they were very helpful! I'm afraid staying in the UK to finish Secondary School isn't really an option for me but I am very hardworking and am predicted very high grades in my GCSE's so hopefully I will settle in alright. Year 10 sounds like a good plan!

Thanks again :)

Daisy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Elizabethxoxo

Hi!

I was in the same situation as you when I moved over here after I finished my GCSE's in August 2011.

As it was halfway through the school year when I arrived, I decided to join the current year 10 year group as then I would be able to fully complete my WACE in year 11 and 12. I've found that most of the people in my year are a few months younger than me, but it doesn't make much difference and I'm glad I chose to do that because now I don't have to worry about having heaps of catching up to do.

I hope this has helped :)

Guest Elizabethxoxo
Thanks, its good to see someone else was in the same situation! Daisy :)

No problem! Do you know what part of Perth you are going to?

Guest Elizabethxoxo
We have been looking at Fremantle area but not 100% sure yet! :)

Ah, cool! I live just a bit further south from there near Rockingham :)

Guest Elizabethxoxo
Hya Elizabeth ,,,I have a daughter who will be in same situation as u was when we arrive ,,,

No regrets ?

Hi!

No regrets at all. I'm loving Australia so far.

I'm glad that I've decided to stay back a year to complete the whole of year 11 and 12 because it means I won't have to catch up with heaps of work.

Does your daughter want to move to Australia?

Yes she does ,,,,and I think she's like u doesn't mind starting yr 11 again so she not behind

Gona get her to mess you And ask u some stuff if that I'm ,,,just to help settle her ....

I'm glad to hear you say that about oz ,,we think there be more oppurtunitys over there bcos there's none here anymore ...:-)))))),,

Guest Elizabethxoxo
Yes she does ,,,,and I think she's like u doesn't mind starting yr 11 again so she not behind

Gona get her to mess you And ask u some stuff if that I'm ,,,just to help settle her ....

I'm glad to hear you say that about oz ,,we think there be more oppurtunitys over there bcos there's none here anymore ...:-)))))),,

Awesome, I'd be happy to speak to her anytime :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Daisy,

I have a 16 year old & we are moving to Aus so I thought I would share our discoveries!!! Basically the Aus system finishes school in Year 12 so if you are in Year 11 this is the equivalent of Year 10 in Aus. They are currently trying to reset the system such that most school leavers are 18, but at present most schoolleavers are 17, so this will make you one of the oldest of your year, but I would doubt very much that you would be alone in that respect. It is really important that you do Year 11 & Year 12 in Aus in order to maximise your points for your OP ( Their equivalent of A levels) Even if you are on really good GCSE predictions there are only a maximum number of points you can carry through ( I think equivalent to about 5 GCSE's) and you would struggle to maximise your OP on this transfer, without completing two years of sixth form. Year 10 is a " feeder/ taster" year for sixth form and is a great time to join, for the last term or so, to find your feet, make friends, have an opportunity to choose your subjects etc, before hitting the ground running in Year 11.

hope this helps and enjoy the adventure!!!

Cj

Hi Daisy

My son is in exactly the same situation as you, finishing gcse's this year then going to perth in july. After reading advice from others we are going to try to get him into year 10 so that he can do 2 full years of year 11/12. He would have been staying on at school anyway so doesn't mind this and it sounds like there are plenty of others in the same situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Daisy,

I have a 16 year old & we are moving to Aus so I thought I would share our discoveries!!! Basically the Aus system finishes school in Year 12 so if you are in Year 11 this is the equivalent of Year 10 in Aus. They are currently trying to reset the system such that most school leavers are 18, but at present most schoolleavers are 17, so this will make you one of the oldest of your year, but I would doubt very much that you would be alone in that respect. It is really important that you do Year 11 & Year 12 in Aus in order to maximise your points for your OP ( Their equivalent of A levels) Even if you are on really good GCSE predictions there are only a maximum number of points you can carry through ( I think equivalent to about 5 GCSE's) and you would struggle to maximise your OP on this transfer, without completing two years of sixth form. Year 10 is a " feeder/ taster" year for sixth form and is a great time to join, for the last term or so, to find your feet, make friends, have an opportunity to choose your subjects etc, before hitting the ground running in Year 11.

hope this helps and enjoy the adventure!!!

Cj

Hi, my son is 16 (year 11), 17 in October (I think his early birthday may be where it's different for him). I've made enquires at two of the High Schools we would be interested in and they have both said that he would not be able to go to shool as he would turn 18 during the school year which would make him an adult so not allowed in school. He will have to go to college, I presume to do his year 11 and 12 there? he was going to stay on and do his Alevels here, so am i right in thinking that years 11 and 12 are their equivalent to our A level years. I'm getting very confused and a bit anxious as I don't think he'll cope very well being out of school with no way of making friends until he can start college next year. By the way we're flying over 5th September.

Tracey

Hi, my son is 16 (year 11), 17 in October (I think his early birthday may be where it's different for him). I've made enquires at two of the High Schools we would be interested in and they have both said that he would not be able to go to shool as he would turn 18 during the school year which would make him an adult so not allowed in school. He will have to go to college, I presume to do his year 11 and 12 there? he was going to stay on and do his Alevels here, so am i right in thinking that years 11 and 12 are their equivalent to our A level years. I'm getting very confused and a bit anxious as I don't think he'll cope very well being out of school with no way of making friends until he can start college next year. By the way we're flying over 5th September.

Tracey

Hi Tracey

My son will also be 17 in september but I was hoping he could do years 11 and 12 at school but that's worrying if he can't as he will turn 18 during his school years. We are going to perth in july where are you heading?

Hi Tracey

My son will also be 17 in september but I was hoping he could do years 11 and 12 at school but that's worrying if he can't as he will turn 18 during his school years. We are going to perth in july where are you heading?

Hi wright4,

We're staying in Mullaloo for 4 weeks and hoping to be able to get a rental in one of the surrounding areas. How about you? I've just started looking at Tafe and Tuart College, which has been recommended by Ocean Reef High School, I don't think I'm going to work out which one is the best option until we get out there. Tuart College does a Year 12 course which results in the WASC, but it's not just getting the right qualifications (although important) it's building a network of friends thats a worry.

Where are you in the UK, we're in the south, West Sussex.

Tracey

Hi

I had 2 kids that where 18 and in school so I dont know what you have been told, The birthdays being in oct and nov, I would go back to the schools has I have never heard that they have to leave school when they turn 18. I also have a child that will just be 17 this year when he leaves school, hes the yongest in his year. I think once you get here you can sort it out by speaking to the schools. I would put ur child into year year 10 for a few months when u get here and then they will go into year 11 in the feb.

Hope this helps and good luck with ur move

Anita:biggrin:

Edited by an1ta

Hi Tracey

Hi Wright4, we're going to Perth, staying in Mullaloo for 4 weeks and then hoping to find a rental in one of the surrounding areas. Have you contacted any schools for your son? We have a cousin over there and she rang two schools for me and they both said Nathan would be too old to attend. At the moment I'm very concerned that we're going to mess things up for him. Where abouts are you heading.

Traceyx

Hi Wright4, we're going to Perth, staying in Mullaloo for 4 weeks and then hoping to find a rental in one of the surrounding areas. Have you contacted any schools for your son? We have a cousin over there and she rang two schools for me and they both said Nathan would be too old to attend. At the moment I'm very concerned that we're going to mess things up for him. Where abouts are you heading.

Traceyx

Ooops, I didn't think my first post worked, so done it again........

• 1 year later...
Hey! It depends what state your in. I know from personal experience...

QLD-

16= y11

17= y12

18= I think you finish in y12

NSW-

16= y10

17=y11

18= y12

Hope I helped! :)

Sorry But NSW IS wrong my son was 16 and half when he went into year 12, he was 17 and 5 months when he left school. I know this as my son is 18 today and left school the end of november last year after finishing his HSC... He was the youngest kids in his year. He went to woolooware high school, in the Sutherland Shire NSW

Edited by an1ta