koala09

Do they check size of hand luggage?????

Hi all, we are flying to oz next tuesday (yey!!!) and have been looking up the hand baggage allowance. The allowance with singapore seams really small. Has anyone flown lately and do they check the size of the bags???

We have 3 children, the youngest is 14 months old and very busy, so will need toys to keep her amused and also plenty of nappies etc... very worried i am not going to have enough room to take all we need on board.. help x

TRA lodged - 12/11/09, TRA passed - 09/12/09, SA SS lodged - 31/12/09, SS granted - 25/1/10, visa (176) lodged - 4/2/10, CO - 10/2/11, VISA GRANTED - 22/08/2011

Never seen checks on hand luggage with the major airlines - just the low cost carriers like Ryan Air. Obviously, it will need to fit into overhead lockers and mustn't look too heavy - but I have become quite adept at bouncing a 10kg case on two fingers to make it look light.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Guest Guest31881

What visa are you travelling on, Singapore will normally increase your allowance if on a PR visa. Some member travelling on a temporary visa have been given extra allowance to help them move.

Try contacting Singapore and explain that you are migrating on visa type ******** and would they consider helping you by increasing your allowance.

But they did not check my hand luggage when I travelled.

On my flight from LHR to Singapore, they didn't check the hand luggage. But they did from Singapore to Brisbane and wanted to charge me more and have me check the bag.

Guest guest57545

we flew singapore over when we moved and had a 'wear extra layers' plan from the hand luggage but it wasnt checked. I think they had stated 7kg which is very very light but id say 10-11 is fine just dont be too greedy!!!! :biggrin:

You can always get one of those Roo vests to wear, with all the pockets - not very stylish, but can hold SO so much,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292933/How-help-17-pocket-jacket-I-beat-Ryanair-game.html

http://www.firebox.com/product/4587/The-Rufus-Roo

Although tbh - we thought 7 kg wasn't much - we just chucked a load of things in a bag and weighed it, it was SO heavy and it was only 5 kg. Do the kiddies not get hand luggage allowance as well? (Even though you have to carry it lol)

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

We flew over to Perth just before Xmas on Emirates and they did weigh the hand luggage too but let me on with 10kg...mind you I'm not sure if that was just because I was crying after just doing goodbyes. I'd def give the airline a call as I'm sure some let you bring more hand luggage if travelling with small children. Good Luck with the move.

Ruth & Chris /Manchester Uk/ Soon Perth WA (hopefully!)Job Offer/Job Accepted - 1/10/11 Employer Approved 14/11/11, Nomination Submitted 18/11/11, Nomination Approved 2/12/11, e457 Submitted 2/12/11, e457 Granted 6/12/11 :biggrin: