Sydney 30 Somethings!

Natnats

hi all just moved to manly and would also like to get to no some new peaple and make some new friends, if you can let me no if any body fancy meeting up that would be great.

cheers Ben

Guest ciara lillis

Hi

There seems to be a few of us who fancy meeting up for a drink, how about next week? I cant do wednesday or saturday. What about a drink in the city? If any one has a good bar in mind that be good. If no one can do next week we could always do the week after.

Have a lovely weekend and hopefully it may stop raining

Ciara

Guest First time Down Under

Hey guys,

I'm not in Oz yet, but will be landing in June sometime. If you guys haven't made too many friends by then :jiggy:and there's room for one more then I'd def be up for meeting new folk over a beer or a coffee :smile: I'm 35, and think I'll be looking to live somewhere in the Inner West. Hopefully won't be too hard finding somewhere to live......

Enjoy your beers, guys!

Sue

Guest Caroline1979

We moved here in December from the UK. We have found most things pretty easy as there really isn't any culture shock etc. I would say looking for somewhere to live was interesting however as estate agents are not like in the UK - you need to do the work rather than just registering your details and waiting for them to get back to you. We are loving Sydney life although from my perspective it would be great to meet a few more people. I am not working at present and don't have kids which can restrict opportunities to meet people. I've taken up some hobbies such as kayaking in order to meet people which is working out pretty well. I would be more than happy to meet up with people for drinks, food, exploring, or even a run :-)

We moved here in December from the UK. We have found most things pretty easy as there really isn't any culture shock etc. I would say looking for somewhere to live was interesting however as estate agents are not like in the UK - you need to do the work rather than just registering your details and waiting for them to get back to you. We are loving Sydney life although from my perspective it would be great to meet a few more people. I am not working at present and don't have kids which can restrict opportunities to meet people. I've taken up some hobbies such as kayaking in order to meet people which is working out pretty well. I would be more than happy to meet up with people for drinks, food, exploring, or even a run :-)

Hey - whereabouts you living? And, out of curiosity, how long did it take you to find somewhere to live? I've been reading that you should prepare a pack of info for the agencies - was that your experience? As I say, I'm not going to be there for about another three months yet but I'd def be up for meeting up when I get there :)

Hi

There seems to be a few of us who fancy meeting up for a drink, how about next week? I cant do wednesday or saturday. What about a drink in the city? If any one has a good bar in mind that be good. If no one can do next week we could always do the week after.

Have a lovely weekend and hopefully it may stop raining

Ciara

yer hi would be up for a meet up prob best next week for me thow as just got a place to stay and move in on wed so few bis to sort out my number is 0449185161 give me a shout and will sort somthing out

Cheers Ben

Guest Caroline1979

Hi there. We are living in Cremorne on the North Shore. We chose here as it is easy to access the CBD by bus or boat (or on foot if you fancy it) but it still has a community feel and access to the northern beaches is easy by car, i.e. whale beach, palm beach etc which are quieter than the Manly option and still as amazing. We were also lucky to get a house with a view across the harbour and the city lights. It's a view you just can't ever get tired of! Depending on what you want though there are loads of great places to live. Lots of ex-pats live in Mosman. Personally we found Mosman a little too family-oriented; great if that's what you're after, but we weren't. The North Shore is considered 'old money' which means there are lots of very expensive houses around, but if you look you can definitely find places to suit most budgets. Manly is lovely if you want beach life. There's a fast cat (15 mins) to the CBD or the Manly ferry which is a bit cheaper and takes about 30 mins. Our concern with Manly was that if we moved there we would never access other areas because of its location and the fact you just don't need to venture out. We also looked at some of the Eastern suburbs such as Paddington, Surry Hills etc. These have some great properties that look typically Australian however you do have to pay for it. You don't get water views. I would say these areas feel like some areas of London such as Muswell Hill etc. They have loads of funky bars and restaurants and great boutique shops. Again, it really depends what you're after. We personally decided we wanted water views as that's something we've not had in the past. Bondi is a popular choice. It's always been really busy when we have been there and I understand there are loads of great places to eat/ drink. There are also lots of backpackers obviously. I think I saw that someone had suggested looking at properties on Domain. I totally agree with this. You can download an app for the iPhone/ iPad which is useful. It allows you to save your favourites and locates them on a map so you can plan viewings via area in order not to give yourselves miles to travel in a day. The viewing of properties generally works differently than in the UK - here they have a 'open house' on a set day/ time which usually lasts about 15 mins. You turn up and look round and if you are interested take a form to complete. The agent is on site to answer questions, although in my experience I found they lacked knowledge about the specific properties. I wrote a list of questions to ask as I kept forgetting to check things like whether there was car parking and if the lease period was negotiable. You will find it costs a lot to break the lease so you need to be clear how long you want to rent for if it's less than 12 months. In terms of the pack of information to prepare, everywhere in Australia wants 100 points of ID (and I mean EVERYWHERE....). I would suggest you google what types of documents will constitute this. You will need to provide verified copies of passports etc. It might be worth doing this before you come as you will know people in the UK who meet the criteria for verifying documents, but you may not when you initially arrive in Australia. It's worth looking into setting up a bank account before you come then arranging to go into the bank in the first couple of days so you have some form of official documentation. Again, look into this on the internet - I think it's easier to set up a bank account when you first arrive rather than leaving it a few weeks because when you first arrive they don't expect you to have any formal documentation (other than passport & visa) but after a few weeks they want to see utility bills etc (which you won't be able to get unless you have a bank account - catch 22!). Finding a place took us 2 weeks although I was pretty much looking full time as I wasn't working. We saw our house on Sat, viewed again and confirmed on Weds, signed lease on Fri and got keys at the same time. Too simple as the Aussies say! We then had to do a big Ikea shop as we didn't bring any of our furniture with us and we rented unfurnished. We actually didn't see many furnished properties at all. I think Kirribilli is perhaps the place to look if you want furnished. There are lots of other hints and tips I would be more than happy to share, although I have probably bored you rigid already. I hope this is useful. Happy planning your move!

Hi there. We are living in Cremorne on the North Shore. We chose here as it is easy to access the CBD by bus or boat (or on foot if you fancy it) but it still has a community feel and access to the northern beaches is easy by car, i.e. whale beach, palm beach etc which are quieter than the Manly option and still as amazing. We were also lucky to get a house with a view across the harbour and the city lights. It's a view you just can't ever get tired of! Depending on what you want though there are loads of great places to live. Lots of ex-pats live in Mosman. Personally we found Mosman a little too family-oriented; great if that's what you're after, but we weren't. The North Shore is considered 'old money' which means there are lots of very expensive houses around, but if you look you can definitely find places to suit most budgets. Manly is lovely if you want beach life. There's a fast cat (15 mins) to the CBD or the Manly ferry which is a bit cheaper and takes about 30 mins. Our concern with Manly was that if we moved there we would never access other areas because of its location and the fact you just don't need to venture out. We also looked at some of the Eastern suburbs such as Paddington, Surry Hills etc. These have some great properties that look typically Australian however you do have to pay for it. You don't get water views. I would say these areas feel like some areas of London such as Muswell Hill etc. They have loads of funky bars and restaurants and great boutique shops. Again, it really depends what you're after. We personally decided we wanted water views as that's something we've not had in the past. Bondi is a popular choice. It's always been really busy when we have been there and I understand there are loads of great places to eat/ drink. There are also lots of backpackers obviously. I think I saw that someone had suggested looking at properties on Domain. I totally agree with this. You can download an app for the iPhone/ iPad which is useful. It allows you to save your favourites and locates them on a map so you can plan viewings via area in order not to give yourselves miles to travel in a day. The viewing of properties generally works differently than in the UK - here they have a 'open house' on a set day/ time which usually lasts about 15 mins. You turn up and look round and if you are interested take a form to complete. The agent is on site to answer questions, although in my experience I found they lacked knowledge about the specific properties. I wrote a list of questions to ask as I kept forgetting to check things like whether there was car parking and if the lease period was negotiable. You will find it costs a lot to break the lease so you need to be clear how long you want to rent for if it's less than 12 months. In terms of the pack of information to prepare, everywhere in Australia wants 100 points of ID (and I mean EVERYWHERE....). I would suggest you google what types of documents will constitute this. You will need to provide verified copies of passports etc. It might be worth doing this before you come as you will know people in the UK who meet the criteria for verifying documents, but you may not when you initially arrive in Australia. It's worth looking into setting up a bank account before you come then arranging to go into the bank in the first couple of days so you have some form of official documentation. Again, look into this on the internet - I think it's easier to set up a bank account when you first arrive rather than leaving it a few weeks because when you first arrive they don't expect you to have any formal documentation (other than passport & visa) but after a few weeks they want to see utility bills etc (which you won't be able to get unless you have a bank account - catch 22!). Finding a place took us 2 weeks although I was pretty much looking full time as I wasn't working. We saw our house on Sat, viewed again and confirmed on Weds, signed lease on Fri and got keys at the same time. Too simple as the Aussies say! We then had to do a big Ikea shop as we didn't bring any of our furniture with us and we rented unfurnished. We actually didn't see many furnished properties at all. I think Kirribilli is perhaps the place to look if you want furnished. There are lots of other hints and tips I would be more than happy to share, although I have probably bored you rigid already. I hope this is useful. Happy planning your move!

Hi Caroline - this is really great - thanks so much for taking the time to write all this down. Really appreciate it. I'm planning on getting there either 2 or 3 weeks before I start my job, so will be able to look full-time too for somewhere to live. Thinking will be much trickier to juggle things once work starts. I've heard it's a lot more expensive for a furnished place, and that actually most places are unfurnished. Works fine for me as I have stuff I can bring :) Sounds like you did ok with your place, especially with the views!! Did you find there were lots of others attending the viewings you went to? As I'm going to be working in Milperra, I'm thinking about looking for somewhere halfway-ish between there and the city. I currently live in Greenwich, and love that it has some cute little shops, nice bars and restaurants, and also only about 20ish minutes to town. If I could find somewhere similar in Sydney that'd be fab. Think I'll have a budget of around $450-500 per week to spend on rent, so am hoping that'll be ok to get a nice-ish sort of place in a decent area.

Would love to hear any more hints and tips you have - only if and when you've got a min to jot them down :)

Cheers lots, and hope you're settling in ok,

Sue