Shortest Time in Oz?

alandeej

Tassie is the place for great snags there is an abundance of good fresh produce ,cheeses made locally ,olives ,breads ,yummy and its the closest to a pommie climate we found .Were leaving Qld and going back to Tassie you need to check out the rest of Oz ,its a big country with lots of options and lots of snags lol

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lovely place Northumberland lucky you , must admit England calls us back all the time . Problem is weve got 5 sons here and 9 grandkids so a bit hard to make a break permanantly ,trying to sell up and spend some time in England and some in Tassie which is magic , or win lotto .:biggrin:

I agree with you.... whats the point of trying Australia for yourself and getting first hand experience when you can look at pictures on the internet and listen to people whinging on forums, surely doing this from your bedroom 10000 miles away is far more effective

than living there for a year to get a feel for the place.

Who knows you could live a virtual world in somewhere as nice as Brisbane. :cute:

I'm not saying that "virtual life" in anyway compares with RL experience or even comes close, but it is at the very least a way of forewarning/arming one's self for what may arise. You don't walk into a car yard and buy a car without first researching it and even a test drive wouldn't make you fully aware of potential pitfalls. The OP's problems (as stated by him) location, weather, prices, are all easily researchable..................complaints about the sausage rank high in PIO archives :wacko: As for getting "first hand experience" if you go that route whilst ignoring or not seeking "documented" info, then I repeat, you have nobody to blame other than yourself.

I'm not saying that "virtual life" in anyway compares with RL experience or even comes close, but it is at the very least a way of forewarning/arming one's self for what may arise. You don't walk into a car yard and buy a car without first researching it and even a test drive wouldn't make you fully aware of potential pitfalls. The OP's problems (as stated by him) location, weather, prices, are all easily researchable..................complaints about the sausage rank high in PIO archives :wacko: As for getting "first hand experience" if you go that route whilst ignoring or not seeking "documented" info, then I repeat, you have nobody to blame other than yourself.

Thats right

But whose to say the car appears ok and you buy it and within a week it breaks down???

I suppose thats the Original posters fault too isnt it???? Give the guy a break hes a bad experience probably cost him money and stress.

Maybe he wants something better than that? Is that a crime??

Thats right

But whose to say the car appears ok and you buy it and within a week it breaks down???

I suppose thats the Original posters fault too isnt it???? Give the guy a break hes a bad experience probably cost him money and stress.

Maybe he wants something better than that? Is that a crime??

No it's not and I'm not blaming the OP purely for the sake of blaming. It's intended to illustrate where the problem lies.............not with Australia or others, but with his choices. Other posters apart from myself have pointed out that his pitfalls could have been avoided. The point I'm making of "blame" is not intended as being derogotory re his decisions. My original reply had the (best of) intention of informing him that his circumstances could have been avoided had he been more precautionary. His statement that he hated the place as soon as he stepped off the plane hardly bodes well for him ever settling here or seeking alternatives. If one does not own one's own behaviours/choices and blames it on others, even if those others have been overly persuasive, then it is highly likely that one will go on to make similar choices. If you don't own it, you can't change it. Bitterness/resentment at the circumstance or others, detracts from the person's ability to change his/her own circumstance in the future.

That's all I have to say on the matter as it seems that what is/was intended as advice, is likely to be, and already has been, interpreted as somehow malicious, when my opinion was offered with good intent. He, and any others reading, can take it or leave it............it's about what and how you choose, as is life in general and whether, when you make a bad choice, you recognise it, learn from it, and pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and start all over again..as the song goes.

Tassie is the place for great snags there is an abundance of good fresh produce ,cheeses made locally ,olives ,breads ,yummy and its the closest to a pommie climate we found .Were leaving Qld and going back to Tassie you need to check out the rest of Oz ,its a big country with lots of options and lots of snags lol

I often think of that when people complain about the things they miss in England - good sausages and bacon, bread, pork pies, Scotch eggs, long summer evenings, old fashioned pubs with fireplaces, the changing seasons, autumn leaves, daffodils in spring. Australia does have them - you just have to choose the right part of Australia :biggrin:

you just have to choose the right part of Australia :biggrin:

I think that statement is very true, the problem is I am tied to a sponsored 457 visa which is why I'm stuck in Geraldton WA certainly I saw this as a foot in the door to Australia especially after seeing some of the posts by others who spend thousands of pounds to emigrate. Unfortunatly the company I work for is as much to blame as anybody making a lot of false promises to get me here, to which I am now making a formal complaint about their conduct.

I suppose the comment 'I hated the place when I stepped of the plane' is not strictly correct as we stopped off in Perth before flying out to Geraldton and it was stepping off the plane in Geraldton after seeing Perth I though 'Oh dear' what a let down as others on this thead seem to testify about Geraldton. There are other Poms that are emigrating to work for the same company who were able to afford a 'reccie' before they came but I don't think no amount of 'Googling' can make out the feel of the place. Ah well if we do go back to Blightly there is lots of exploring still to do to make the best of a bad situation!

I have also lived in France, which also has crap sausages, which is where I now intend to retire.

The shortest time would be a family that arrived in around 87 from England and stayed in a pre booked place on the Fridat evening and returned on earliest possible flight which happened to be on the Monday two days later.

It was reported in The West Australian journal the husband didn't like what he saw and realized they'd made a mistake.Luckily I suppose for them thet were no longer in the country to read all the anti Pom sentiment that was the result of letters to the editor in that paper. Wish i kept it.

Unlikely such comments would be published in todays world.

Australia ticks many boxes for those with absolutely no knowledge of the place. Paul hogan has a lot to answer for, as does home and away, neighbours et al. They have contributed to the bland assumption that Australia is a land of constant sunshine, picturesque outback cattle stations and towns, and that Aussies are friendlier, braver, kinder, stronger than snivelling Brits. Etc etc etc

Basically it's all a load of male genitalia swallowed whole by gullible Brits who are hard wired to believe that somewhere, anywhere, has to be better than the UK. You can research all you want but until you feel the heat of 40 degrees yourself, or see endless soulless suburbs with your own eyes, or feel that emptiness of homesickness in your gut, you just don't know what it's like.

Many seem to think their life will magically improve just by virtue of being in Australia. What actually happens is that they are confronted by a tidal wave of unpleasant emotions (homesickness, culture shock, fear, anger, resentment, exhaustion, anticlimax) some people just panic: they fall back on instinct and just go home before they've given it a proper 'go'.

I think at the very least when a family gets here, they should remember all the stress and heartache they endured in order to get here and just go with the flow....

We came from Cornwall, so we had the beach on the door step and when the sun did shine it was a fantastic place to be, but it was not as isolated as Geraldton which is 400km North of Perth. I am tied to a sponsored 457 visa so can not move location or job but the short time I have been here we have taken time on days off to visit the Coral Coast from Kalbarri down to Perth and the place is fantastic - for a holiday I hasten to add. I have a work colleague who has moved to Melbourne who has settled in well and has no regrets and I feel if I was in another part of Oz with another company my feelings may be different apart from the sausages and bread. I was hoping to visit places like Sydney, Melbourne etc; and since visiting Perth I have found prices higher in Geraldton from food to fuel. There is not a lot to do in Geraldton unless you like fishing, it seems the place is like 'Marmite' you either hate it or loath it.

One thing is at least I have tried it, if I hadn't I would have regretted not giving it a go!

No way would I have left Kernow for Geraldton. Especially knowing that I may be stuck there owing to visa requirements. There seems to be a readily Irish population forming up there going by another thread. The town has improved over recent years but will always be wanting in many areas.

Not much for it but to do your time if you want to remain in Oz and in the meantime plan your escape.

Like Quoll mentioned, it was reported in the paper several years ago that one couple came on a Friday, spent the weekend and flew home on the Monday if I remember, and they were asked why by the media who thought it was funny. They said they didn't like the food and especially the lettuce ! How much food could they have eaten over the weekend to decide that......

I had a hellhole flat in London years ago, right next door to a pub and a trainline, noise like you would not believe and attempted breakins just about every night where my bedside lamp came in handy more than once - (to hit them over the head I mean....) I didn't write home and tell my parents that I hated the UK though did I?

Difference being of course is you were,I assume from post, an Aussie doing the London thing for a few years with every intent on returning to Australia.Where as the OP has moved to what he considers to be something of a hick town in the hope of starting a new life with I assume family in tow.

He is obliged to remain to meet his visa requirements. On the other hand you could have found somewhere a little less sinister to live in London if wanted to surely?

Difference being of course is you were,I assume from post, an Aussie doing the London thing for a few years with every intent on returning to Australia.Where as the OP has moved to what he considers to be something of a hick town in the hope of starting a new life with I assume family in tow.He is obliged to remain to meet his visa requirements. On the other hand you could have found somewhere a little less sinister to live in London if wanted to surely?

I understand what the poster is saying, and certainly as a big city dweller, it is even hard for many city-dwelling Aussies to even think of life in some of these remote places (hence we stay in the cities). A former PIO member who was going to Port Hedland asked me what it was like, and I said that it was quite different, actually more like the actual 'outback' that you read about. Her comment when she returned from the reccie for two days was: "It's like going to Mars" - so that can pretty well sum it up. Hopefully the OP can sort something out, whether it be somewhere else in Aus or return to the UK, which makes them happy.

Guest guest57545
Australia ticks many boxes for those with absolutely no knowledge of the place. Paul hogan has a lot to answer for, as does home and away, neighbours et al. They have contributed to the bland assumption that Australia is a land of constant sunshine, picturesque outback cattle stations and towns, and that Aussies are friendlier, braver, kinder, stronger than snivelling Brits. Etc etc etc

Basically it's all a load of bollocks swallowed whole by gullible Brits who are hard wired to believe that somewhere, anywhere, has to be better than the UK. You can research all you want but until you feel the heat of 40 degrees yourself, or see endless soulless suburbs with your own eyes, or feel that emptiness of homesickness in your gut, you just don't know what it's like.

Many seem to think their life will magically improve just by virtue of being in Australia. What actually happens is that they are confronted by a tidal wave of unpleasant emotions (homesickness, culture shock, fear, anger, resentment, exhaustion, anticlimax) some people just panic: they fall back on instinct and just go home before they've given it a proper 'go'.

I think at the very least when a family gets here, they should remember all the stress and heartache they endured in order to get here and just go with the flow....

It took us 2 hours to drive back in the traffic from Palm Beach to Manly tonight, they dont show alf stewart having to do that!, still whens the last time you saw an eastenders character spending 2 hours stuck on the district line? would make naff telly

Basically it's all a load of male genitalia swallowed whole by gullible Brits who are hard wired to believe that somewhere, anywhere, has to be better than the UK. You can research all you want but until you feel the heat of 40 degrees yourself, or see endless soulless suburbs with your own eyes, or feel that emptiness of homesickness in your gut, you just don't know what it's like.

You censored a post of mine for using that word...I do believe that's what one terms as " double standards"...

Please give yourself an uppercut.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
You censored a post of mine for using that word...I do believe that's what one terms as " double standards"...

Please give yourself an uppercut.

Cheers, Bobj.

:laugh: You are all safe to say bollox without being pulled I promise

Basically it's all a load of bollocks swallowed whole by gullible Brits who are hard wired to believe that somewhere, anywhere, has to be better than the UK. You can research all you want but until you feel the heat of 40 degrees yourself, or see endless soulless suburbs with your own eyes, or feel that emptiness of homesickness in your gut, you just don't know what it's like.

Whinging pom!

Lovely place Northumberland lucky you , must admit England calls us back all the time . Problem is weve got 5 sons here and 9 grandkids so a bit hard to make a break permanantly ,trying to sell up and spend some time in England and some in Tassie which is magic , or win lotto .:biggrin:

Ah yes..... he has family in Aus, and I have family here. Always a pull one way or another. But he always says if the day ever comes when we want to go back to Aus, then, like you, it would be to Tassie. (He lived there for 13 years working in the coppermines)

His Aussie heart is there

Guest AKA63029

I don't suppose nine hours count do they. Sydney airpirt (apart from the customs staff,:mad:) is a lovely airport to while away the hours.