gsaps

Uk router

We're in the process of trying to hook our broadband up (Telstra) and have opted to use our uk router rather than get a new one.

Not so easy as it turns out, has anyone else managed to do this successfully and is there something simple that I should be doing, it was originally for orange in the uk.

Thnks

grant

Guest Guest31881

Firstly, don't ask an Australian to help you with a router, it has a totally different meaning here :Randy-git:. I have seen where UK equipment has been made to work here so it must be possible but you will need to be able to input your user name and password for the Telstra account through the modem. Not sure how its done.

Also be aware that connecting equipment to the phone system that is not carrying the Australian tick of approval symbol on it is actually illegal here, but I know a lot of Brits who brought their own phones and use them.

Hopefully someone will be along with the proper info to help you.

I thought Telstra would give you a modem when you went onto broadband, free of charge.

Thanks Colin

i could get one from them for about $50 which it looks like I may have to do (as I'm computer illiterate), just thought it was a shame to waste the uk one as its pretty much brand new

Guest Guest31881

Put your old one on ebay, ???? someone will buy it.

Firstly, don't ask an Australian to help you with a router, it has a totally different meaning here :Randy-git:.

Hahaha, yes I completely forgot and asked this lady in the shop if she had any wireless 'rooters' and she kept correcting me!

As for getting UK equipment to work in Australia - there shouldn't be a problem as long as the old router was a telephone line (rather than cable) as Colin says you should be able to type in your new username and password. Do you still have the instructions for it? My first port of call would be google, type in the make and model of the router together with the word 'Telstra' and see what results you get back.

Good luck!

Geoff

I believe it is not as simple as just changing the username and password. VPI/VCI ATM config needs changing - for AUS it will be 8/35 (UK is 0/35). You will also probably need to change the encap to PPPoE LLC (instead of PPPoA vcmux). They may be other changes (hence why there are regional firmwares released for each router).

In the end I couldn't be bothered an bought a new one here.

Guest Guest31881
I believe it is not as simple as just changing the username and password. VPI/VCI ATM config needs changing - for AUS it will be 8/35 (UK is 0/35). You will also probably need to change the encap to PPPoE LLC (instead of PPPoA vcmux). They may be other changes (hence why there are regional firmwares released for each router).

In the end I couldn't be bothered an bought a new one here.

Ok, you lost me after "password" :ssign2:now I know why I had Telstra send me a modem, its easy to put a CD in the computer and hit the enter button to do it all for you.

Thanks for the replies

peach, you lost me a bit as well, told you I was computer illiterate. Where do I change all these settings?

I might try a bit of googling as suggested or a visit to the Telstra shop is called for

Normally, there is a webpage at http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 that you use to change the router settings (the exact steps vary from device to device - so I can't offer full guidance). As I say, you may also need a firmware update - again the how would depend on the device.

Good luck in the Telstra store :wubclub:

Thanks peach, how do I get to the 168.191 etc site if I'm not connected to the Internet

192.168.x.x IP addresses are special addresses reserved for private networks. Even though your router isn't presently connected to the internet, it is still configured to respond to requests from your home PCs (assuming they were able to connect to the router in the UK). 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 are the IP addresses most commonly used by home routers, so by typing that address into your web browser you'll be trying to access the router itself and not the internet.

Thanks peach

i called the Telstra help line in one last attempt to sort it and got a very helpful guy

Basically connected via Ethernet and got me online and then as if by magic the wifi worked so all ok now and a thumbs up for telstra's service and thanks to the forum as well

Guest Guest31881
Thanks peach

i called the Telstra help line in one last attempt to sort it and got a very helpful guy

Basically connected via Ethernet and got me online and then as if by magic the wifi worked so all ok now and a thumbs up for telstra's service and thanks to the forum as well

Glad you got it sorted out and that you found a Telstra customer service guy that knew what to do..... Now that is one for the record books, :wink:

If you type the right set of numbers in, your computer will talk to your router rather than the internet. Once connected, you have a whole list of settings you can adjust such as the ones Peach mentioned.

I did manage to get my UK router (a Netgear one) working here but have to admit I cheated. Our first deal with Telstra included a free ADSL modem/router and I just copied all the settings from that into my own which then became a spare in the cupboard. It was useful having a spare because the Telstra one DID break down at one point. We've now changed to Optus so the settings may be different again.

As has been said, it's against the rules to connect anything without the Australian approval to a phone line...just like things in the UK had to have the Oftel triangle. However, as you have it anyway, you may as well copy the settings from you Telstra box into yours and, if it works, keep it as an emergency spare.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker