Should we leave our dog in the Uk or bring her

ukchris

This is a very hard decision for us, it is nothing to to with costs or quarantine is it the heat. Our dog is a 3 year old Caucasian Ovcharka, when the sun shines in the Uk she lays in the shade, she is from the snowey Caucasian mountains and is one hell of a fury beast.2010_02_11_2031.jpg

We could shave her I'mt im not sure that it would help, does anyone keep a dog that is used to snow and mountains in WA and what are your thoughts on this.

We have found properties which we can afford that would suit her down to the ground, with plenty of water and land for hereallye realy want to bring her but we are trying to think if it would be cruel to subject her to the heat.

We have a great friend who would home her and take care of her in the Uk.

2010_02_11_2031.jpg

Hi and welcome Its a really big thing . The only thing I wou;d say is go and speak to ur vet, We can all say bring him dont bring him. I was worried about my dog, He was only 3 hes an America bulldog x he lost a bit of weight when 1st got here but hes really ok now. Hope it goes well for u but like I said talk to ur vet

Anita

Speak to your vet, but there are loads of dogs here from colder countries, the amount of Alaskan malamutes I see is unreal. We brought our finish spitz over from the uk. He has malted a it more, but they adjust. I found having the dog here helped me settle in, as I would have been worried if I left him, my dog too is as furry as they come, and he is fine

We have a Siberian Husky who we want to bring with us when we emigrate in May 2012. Although a snow dog, when the sun shines here we often find her in the garden lying in full sunshine with our Jack Russell despite the option of shade or being inside! So we think both our dogs will be fine with the heat. I have also seen pictures of houses in Oz where the dogs have their beds and a paddling pool outside!

Holy moly, I didn't know we even HAD that breed in the UK! I'm a dog fanatic, I thought they were only in the US!

Regarding coat, speaking from a groomer's point of view, I'd say take her. With an undercoat rake you can take out a lot of coat without having to shave her and she'll stay nice and cool.

We have decided to leave her here with our friend until we are settled and then ship her over, that way we don't have to rush into renting or buying something we may regret.

Glad you've found a solution that works for you and your doglet :) Gives you time to explore over there, find a suitable house (am guessing she'll need a fair sized garden and perhaps her own paddling pool for hot days) you feel will suit you all and then plan to bring her over.

Good luck with everything.

It will all work out in the end, we are looking at semi rural acreages so plenty of room for her, and away from the neighbors as she does like to bark at anyone or anything. The next consideration is snakes, I'm not concerned but my OH is, she thinks that snakes just love attacking dogs/people lol.

• 8 months later...

Awww! So glad your keeping her! She is gorgeous! We have a Samoyed x Retriever who has the thickest coat I've ever seen. We have her clipped once a year and it makes a big difference to her. Her coat has fully grown in by the time winter starts again. She just lies in the shade on the hottest days or just stays indoors. With lots of home made ice blocks and the sprinklers on, she'll be fine!

Great news - just clip her in the warmer months....they adapt really well....

There are a lot of Border Collies in Queensland - shaved - & when I first saw one I did a 'double-take' (sort of "I should know that breed - but....?") & then realized it was a Border without the ruffs !

If asked, I'm sure they would choose to be with their families....I'm sure I've heard mine discussing it in the dark watches of the night.... :laugh: