All by myself...

Guest stephen4715

Guest stephen4715

So I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I moved to melbourne about 3 months ago with my girlfriend and her family but things aren't working out and I've decided to leave. Thing is I'm not sure where to go now and am really nervous about travelling on my own! I have 9 months left on my WHV and would like to make the most of it. Anybody got any advice or tips? It would be much appreciated!

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry to hear things didn't work out, there are lots of people who travel alone and have no problems making friends. Try out a few different hostels hopefully you will meet people soon

Guaranteed to meet people in the hostels, I think once you've stayed in the first hostel you'll wonder why you were nervous so don't worry. I travelled with a friend but we started to get annoyed with each other so had a couple of weeks break and met up a bit later. I went on down the coast and stayed in a couple of hostels and had a fab time and all was well with my friend when we met up we just needed some time to do our own things. Although this was a few years ago I wouldn't hesitate to travel around Oz on my own it's probably the easiest country to travel in as well.

HTH.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for the advice guys, gonna head up to port douglas next week I think n just see what happens from there. Looking forward to it!

But you are heading here in our wet/cyclone season, you may be best in Brissy.

Port Douglas is gorgeous by the way.

Good luck.

I started out with a friend on my WHV but she headed home after a few months. The other 6 months of travelling/working were absolutely amazing. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Head to the hostels - everyone is in the same position.

Hope you have a great time!

• 3 weeks later...

You'll have an awesome time and meet loads of people in hostels. I did 6 weeks on my own Oct/Nov last year and was incredibly jealous of all the people I met who were planning longer and extended trips, so much so that I'm planning to return for a full year on the WHV later this year and have no hesitations in travelling in Oz alone again. There's so much to see and people you meet along the way will give you great hints and tips. Get out there and make the best of it! Fraser Island was my fave :)