Whats Christmas like in Australia???

PityTheFool

That would count for it - you wont find one in a govvie school!

Last nativity play I saw was in a school in North Yorkshire where 90% of the kids were muslim - they had a great time AND Santa came. I can remember one little lad rushing up to his mum in black + hijab shouting in a broad Yorkshire accent 'Hey Mum, look what Santa gave me!!!" Then they had mince pies and Christmas cake - it was lovely and I realized what my kids had missed out on.

There is - it's called Canberra. :wink:

(Although my little Canberra nephew does a nativity play each year, but he does go to a Catholic school).

The best thing about Christmas in Oz is that it is warm and sunny and you can enjoy 2 weeks off spending time outdoors. We don't have Christmas dinner but fire up the barbie and some beers. Its much more satisfying and enjoyable. No rellies and no hassle. Makes June July and August seem wierd though when it is cold and wet!

the only difference is its not freezing .....or snowing .......we have 3 trees up lots of decor ......and the 5 children love it ...its the adults who have a problem as we think of snow , robins and what it use to be like at xmas ect .........myself its always going to be my family i miss at this time of yr....but they will be here in March and only a call away ,the children have skype .....i always do a traditional turkey dinner about 4.30 pm ...my family love it ........and so do i ........so the answer to whats Xmas like in Oz .....its brilliant .......

Great responses people - thanks! The mrs likes the idea of the 'lolly runs' as posted by Skani - thats prob more to do with the thought of some muscley fireman dressed in a santa suit than what it means for the kids!:skeptical:

When are the xmas holidays in Oz and how lond do they last? (School and work)

School holidays vary from state to state, starting anytime from about 10th December to a few days before Christmas and ending between last week in January and mid February.

Many businesses close for about a month at Christmas. Things start to return to normal around Australia Day (26 January).

The best thing about Christmas in Oz is that it is warm and sunny and you can enjoy 2 weeks off spending time outdoors. We don't have Christmas dinner but fire up the barbie and some beers. Its much more satisfying and enjoyable. No rellies and no hassle. Makes June July and August seem wierd though when it is cold and wet! [/QUOTE]

Especially when they do the Christmas in July thing, that really messes with my head, I havent a clue what time of the year it is :laugh:

Just on another note, we very rarely had white christmasses anyway, Ive think Ive seen 4 in my lifetime, so its all made up memories I think half the time.:wink:

Yes I have noticed the Xmas in July thing....can't beleive it's Xmas next week....off down the beach this arvo....just doesn't feel right!!!!

Halloween is another one....

OH asked why I hadn't brought any sweets for the trick or treaters when I went shopping......I replied it's been 31.c....not exactly a Halloween in my opinion!!

Guest The Pom Queen
That would count for it - you wont find one in a govvie school!

Last nativity play I saw was in a school in North Yorkshire where 90% of the kids were muslim - they had a great time AND Santa came. I can remember one little lad rushing up to his mum in black + hijab shouting in a broad Yorkshire accent 'Hey Mum, look what Santa gave me!!!" Then they had mince pies and Christmas cake - it was lovely and I realized what my kids had missed out on.

Well ours are in catholic schools here but still never done a nativity play, it's a shame because the kids love them.