Australia: From lucky country to land of rip-offs

ozziepom

I'm sorry but that's just not true gas/electric is not cheaper here, nor is wine, I paid nearly $700 for 2 months gas for a small three bed-roomed house and there is nobody in during week days, you can buy Aussie wine cheaper in Tescos than you can here.

I agree with you there. Our electric bill is huge, and there is only 2 of us.We do 1 load of washing a day, TV on for about 3 hours, no heat pump/air con at the moment, and a shower each a day

Our bill was $783 for the last quarter...ouch

We have had previous bills between $1200-$2000 in the winter/summer months, when we need to either use heat pump or air con.My friend in the UK soon stopped moaning about her 90GBP electric bill when I told her what mine was

And they reckon a huge increase here again next year, with carbon tax, added to the bills....

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved the Nicola Sturgeon mention! What a terrible name but sooooo relevant when discussing seafood hahahaha!

The food might be better, but 'Spoons often have a great selection of beers which would beat Corona IMO - but each to their own!

Enjoy!

Hmmm, I just emailed hubby to see if he wants to go to Gilhooleys for dinner tonight. For $14.95 the offer is either barra or steak and chips plus either 3 glasses of wine or 3 Coronas (3 drinks each??!!! - Nicola Sturgeon would never stand for this hahahaha!). I think that beats good ol' Wetherspoons, and I bet the food's better too. We'll see :wink:

Hmmm, I just emailed hubby to see if he wants to go to Gilhooleys for dinner tonight. For $14.95 the offer is either barra or steak and chips plus either 3 glasses of wine or 3 Coronas (3 drinks each??!!! - Nicola Sturgeon would never stand for this hahahaha!). I think that beats good ol' Wetherspoons, and I bet the food's better too. We'll see :wink:

Are you sure??

steak and chips and 3 beers for $14.95? Down here three beers alone would cost about $20 at least in a restaurant.

Are you sure you don't have a couple of Tesla EVs parked in the garage?

I agree with you there. Our electric bill is huge, and there is only 2 of us.We do 1 load of washing a day, TV on for about 3 hours, no heat pump/air con at the moment, and a shower each a day

We have had previous bills between $1200-$2000 in the winter/summer months, when we need to either use heat pump or air con.My friend in the UK soon stopped moaning about her 90GBP electric bill when I told her what mine was

And they reckon a huge increase here again next year, with carbon tax, added to the bills....

I would question your electric bill, especially off peak.

I have a large house with large pool pump (Ikw) running a minimum of 8hrs a day. Two fridges and two freezers. 32 fish tanks with 500 watts of pumps running 24/7 and 1kw of lighting 5/7. A boy who showers 3 times a day for a minimum of 20 minutes each time, and 3 others who shower twice daily. I also have 3kws of tanks heaters that come on and off intermittently when the temp drops below 26d. I consider the previous to be well above average household consumption and yet my bill is only $1100.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10207[/ATTACH]

And the point/agenda of/for you posting this totally unrepresentative image is what? Why didn't you post the good review that accompanied the image...............come to think of it? Why would you want to look for the image at all, seeing as you're in the UK and it can hardly be of interest to you :wacko:

Guest ragdoll annie

That sure is a massive leccy bill!..........theres 3 of us so....3 showers a day min, i'm at home all day with air con and tv on.....washer on at least once a day...we each have a pc on practically 24/7(and a ps3 going at the same time)....in the evenings theres 2 tv's on and our last quaterly bill was $332.32.........we have never ever had a bill over $450 even in winter(with reverse cycle air con on)........we dont have a pool tho..........is it that that eats the leccy maybe?

Annie x

That sure is a massive leccy bill!..........theres 3 of us so....3 showers a day min, i'm at home all day with air con and tv on.....washer on at least once a day...we each have a pc on practically 24/7(and a ps3 going at the same time)....in the evenings theres 2 tv's on and our last quaterly bill was $332.32.........we have never ever had a bill over $450 even in winter(with reverse cycle air con on)........we dont have a pool tho..........is it that that eats the leccy maybe?

Annie x

No ,, we have a pretty large pool that runs an average of 8 hours a day, we are a family of 4 and also have a large garage/workshop but havent in the 5 years of being here had a bill over approx $550. We are all electric too, no solar or Gas. Its only this last couple of bills since the power charge rises that its crept into the $500s up until then we seemed to hover around the $450 mark.

Cal x

Guest guest17301

Our electric bill is never usually more than $300 (thats every 2 months I think or is it 3?), I tell a lie it was $400 odd in winter when I was using the plug in oil radiators all day. The gas is usually about $100, have gas water heater and cooker.

Guest JemGerrard
I got a pair of Triathlon shorts delivered from Wiggle.com last night. They are the 2XU brand so have a label "designed and tested in Australia" (although probably made in China). They were $155 in a shop here and $65 from wiggle. Took a week to get here from the UK.

So they must have been shipped from Oz to the UK, sold there for $65 and shipped back to me $90 cheaper than I can buy them over here. I'll bet wiggle are still making a profit too. Seems crazy doesn't it.

It does seem crazy, the devalued UK pound is one thing. But buying the same thing for so much less when shipped across the world isn't explained by the exchange rate. A bit of profiteering more like.

Guest guest17301
$19 I wish I could get a bra for that price, unfortunately big boob ladies have to pay ridiculous prices.

Kate, I buy Panache bras from Bravissimo, they deliver to Oz for less than $10, no more than $50 a bra including delivery, less in the sale, think I paid $70 for 2. I also buy the same brand on Ebay save a few $$.

Guest The Pom Queen
Kate, I buy Panache bras from Bravissimo, they deliver to Oz for less than $10, no more than $50 a bra including delivery, less in the sale, think I paid $70 for 2. I also buy the same brand on Ebay save a few $$.

Will have a peak do they go to a J cup? I'm currently using Curvy Kate as they have lovely stylish bras.

I got home to my latest gas bill...bottled gas remember so keep in mind it is much more expensive than mains gas....and...its a whooping eighty five bucks for two months worth. Ouch. That's enough to buy some fish and chips then a swanky night out in brissy, with change for the bus home.:biglaugh::wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
I got home to my latest gas bill...bottled gas remember so keep in mind it is much more expensive than mains gas....and...its a whooping eighty five bucks for two months worth. Ouch. That's enough to buy some fish and chips then a swanky night out in brissy, with change for the bus home.:biglaugh::wink:

Ahh mine was cheaper, $75 for 3 months, I love bottled gas

Guest The Pom Queen
http://www.bravissimo.com/products/lingerie/everyday-essentials/ariza-bra/poppy-red/pnk4pr/?show=16&sort=1&level=1

This one is a nice style too, comfy to wear and looks good. If you like the brighter colours (I do) you can get a bargain as usually in the sale

They look lovely, have you seen the Curvy Kate range http://www.curvykate.com