After positive things about oz plz

Guest waitingtogotooz

Great thread thank you.

I have had so many doubts about going since reading this forum. It's brilliant in lots of ways, but as has been said it's often the unhappy people who come back/stick around.

It's great to hear both sides, but it often feels about 80% negative v 20% positive.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

We have just been granted our 175 visa and are now actively selling, researching and planning our move to oz.

However, all I seem to hear and read are negative things on moving to oz, it is getting my quite down and making me have a wobble...

People coming out of the wood work saying we wont cope/survive, expense is sooo high compared to UK and after browsing on the returning to UK thread I am starting to panic a bit and lose sight in why we are going if only to regret and move back, bearing in mind we will be taking our three children (12, 10, 3). Even my friend who has just gone out there on a one year visa emailed me to and in her words "warn" me, same sh*t diff country, expensive, etc etc

We have decided on Adeaide btw.

Just wanted some positive things from people who are out there now instead of negative.

cheers,

We've been here just over a year now and we live in Vic, what else can I say other than we absolutely love it!!!! :biggrin: Best thing we've done. When I change the cost of things back in pounds some things are expensive but why do that?? I earn in dollars and buy in dollars so now we dont bother exchanging back. I have put updates on this site of 6months and a year so if you can have a flick thro. It's normal to wobble but if you don't come you'll never know if it's for you. My 13yr old son loves it too which is a bonus. We all miss friends and family but not the UK as such. I think there's more opportunity here and certainly we have a better standard of living. I'm a psychiatric nurse and we have much better financially here than in UK on just my wage. In UK both me and my wife were working f/t and we still struggled.

If you need any more info just ask

good luck

Ian

Positives for Adelaide

It is beautiful - lots of lovely old sandstone buildings

It is close to some wonderful beaches and the wineries

Shops are pretty good

Lots of good restaurants

Very quick to get out of town and to the holiday regions

People are nice- it is like a big village in a lot of ways

You can easily get to Outback areas of stunning beauty like Flinders Ranges

You can fly to Melbourne for a very cheap price in an hour.

There you go- good luck but you won't need it, you will love it.

I've been here for 4 months and i've not regretted it for a minute.

There is a lot of negativity on this site - if I had followed the advice I was receiving from it then i'd probably not have moved!

Australia has great people, great lifestyle and is a beautiful country. You will miss a few things from home (that's only natural) but the good things about living here far outweigh the bad. Embrace the experience, you'll love it.

We have been in Sydney for nearly 18 months now and although we pretty much knew what to expect as we had lived here before, we have no regrets about moving back. It is very different from when we were here before, but mainly due to the exchange rate. However as others have said you have to stop doing that because you earn dollars!

Having been back to the UK very recently as soon as I landed, I knew I would never want to live in the UK again. We are so much better off in Oz, we can afford to go on several holidays, go for days out and eat out more often. The real bonus for me is I don't have to work full time and I had to in the UK.

The only slight negative (and to be honest it isn't really) is we can't afford to buy as we have to build up our credit history here before we can get a mortgage - usually 2 years if you have a deposit. So we are renting a fabulous house which is massive compared to our 3 bed terrace in the UK, and unlike the UK you are actually better off renting as it is cheaper - no rates (council tax) only pay for water usage!

The lifestyle is great - my husband finishes work at 3.30pm and 12pm on Fridays - allowing weekends away without using up holiday days.

Of course there are days when you miss friends/family but the good days definately outweigh the bad!

I think at the end of the day the experiences people write about on here must be taken with a pinch of salt. They can serve as a good reality check to ensure that you don't just think Oz is a paradise on earth before you arrive and realise it isn't. Everyone's experience is different and there is no way to know whether emigrating will work out for you. You just have to go ahead with your eyes wide open, try to embrace the differences and give it a good old go. That way, after time, you will know yourself if you want to stay permanently or not. If not, well you've probably had an adventure of a lifetime and won't regret a part of it. If you do want to stay, well then that's pretty good too and I'm sure you'll be happier and healthier for staying.

This is my second time here. As previously, I don't think I'll be staying forever, just long enough to feel like I've had another adventure here. My heart will always be in the UK but then that's just me.

It is up to you if you make it or not and only time will tell if you like Oz or not, you can be happy in either Country if you work at it, it is just another Country with better weather (thats if you like hot weather) but all the day to day problems you get in the UK...suck it and see,

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Well the positives for us are the the weather ............ this leads on to the outdoor lifestyle, me and the lad playing golf, in the warmth most of the year, instead of just for a few weeks, also being able to sit outside chilling out in loungy chairs, having a barbie and if we can afford it a dip in the pool or jacuzzi. Also the sea and beaches, they are simply fantastic, tropical beaches and warm seas, says it all really, we loved going in the surf on our boogie boards, the kids loved it, imagine just only having to drive an hour or so to an apartment near the sea for your beach holiday, instead of having to pay a fortune to holiday abroad, the resorts are on your own doorstep in Australia, we spend up to £10,000 per year on holidays, we think we will save loads. Finally we think we will be more active, going out for lovely long walks because of the great weather, when its grey and grim for several months of the year like it is here in blighty, the last thing i want to do is go out for anything and we spend most of our lives watching tv. To us, we think it will transform our lives and make us all alot more active and healthier.

lotsa positive things ut here, its different for everyone, dont let others comments good or bad decide for you, theres good and bad here

open spaces sun beaches the chance to live and make it in another country that sees you as benefitting it. the choices are endless.

lifes an experience, and experiement enjoy it

Guest Pixie10

We're heading to Adelaide too and I'm in touch with a number of people out there and the general consensus is they're loving it! Life is life of course and you will always get the downs which make the ups more fun! You will always have to work, pay bills and have miserable days wherever you are but its the trimmings that will be different! My advice?- Stop reading the returning to UK thread- whilst you have to keep realistic you also have to be positive and ready to fight to get where you want in life! We fly in 3 weeks and I've stopped reading negatives... what will it help now? We're going and it will work because we have decided it will lol!! When you heading out?? Feel free to look me up! xx

Just got back from the pub where I met up with a few Spurs fans, both Aussie and Pommie. I should feel guilty for drinking four schooners of Tiger but I don't! I suppose it's because the other guys were all drinking OJ and going on to work whilst I'm going back to bed.

Walking down Elizabeth St, and up, come to think of it, with dawn appearing, it was SO balmy, 23 degrees I guess, wonderful and seeing the spectators shivering in the snow and ice, even though I did not mind it when I am in UK, well, it's wonderful to be here!

Went for a Lebanese meal with my brother and his wife earlier in the evening - another wonderful thing about Australia - being able to indulge in cuisine from around the world. I know that some people hate it but only a few!

Just got back from the pub where I met up with a few Spurs fans, both Aussie and Pommie. I should feel guilty for drinking four schooners of Tiger but I don't! I suppose it's because the other guys were all drinking OJ and going on to work whilst I'm going back to bed.

Walking down Elizabeth St, and up, come to think of it, with dawn appearing, it was SO balmy, 23 degrees I guess, wonderful and seeing the spectators shivering in the snow and ice, even though I did not mind it when I am in UK, well, it's wonderful to be here!

Went for a Lebanese meal with my brother and his wife earlier in the evening - another wonderful thing about Australia - being able to indulge in cuisine from around the world. I know that some people hate it but only a few!

Good post - these are some of the reasons why I can´t wait to get out there!

I am freezing cold here, dressed like Scrooge and looking forward to getting into a cold bed, and hot cocoa. :SLEEP:

I think at the end of the day the experiences people write about on here must be taken with a pinch of salt. They can serve as a good reality check to ensure that you don't just think Oz is a paradise on earth before you arrive and realise it isn't. Everyone's experience is different and there is no way to know whether emigrating will work out for you. You just have to go ahead with your eyes wide open, try to embrace the differences and give it a good old go. That way, after time, you will know yourself if you want to stay permanently or not. If not, well you've probably had an adventure of a lifetime and won't regret a part of it. If you do want to stay, well then that's pretty good too and I'm sure you'll be happier and healthier for staying.

This is my second time here. As previously, I don't think I'll be staying forever, just long enough to feel like I've had another adventure here. My heart will always be in the UK but then that's just me.

I agree 100% it is a waste of time IMO asking opinions on Oz. the only way is to experience for yourself as we are all different, what suits one will not suit another, what some people find exiting other people will find boring....the only way is to try it for yourself.

you lucky man, your getting to travel round first before you settle arent you? :jiggy:

how are your plans coming along

I certainly am Stacey , plans are on track and im researching loads, reading my National geographic :-) theirs soooooooo much i want to see and do , plenty of time to do it all tho . Camper vans are quite expensive but it may possibly be home for 3 years !!!!!!! :biggrin:

lee

Mr Fabricator-

If your thinking of travelling in a camper and arent tied to dates and a set route take a look at the camper van relocations , some are as cheap as a $1 per day...

Cal x

Thanks for that cal , will certainly look into it for the start of my trip

My actual tour will be for 12 months , after that the van will simply be a mobile home while i decide where to settle , im also off into the mines so pointless buying / renting a actual house that i will simply never be in . no family to accomodate as its just little old me :-)

lee

Guest Guest31881

My actual tour will be for 12 months , after that the van will simply be a mobile home while i decide where to settle , im also off into the mines so pointless buying / renting a actual house that i will simply never be in . no family to accomodate as its just little old me :-)

lee

Yes I can see the attraction of a mobile home......

luxury_van_car2.jpg

luxury_van_car2.jpg

Good post - these are some of the reasons why I can´t wait to get out there!

I am freezing cold here, dressed like Scrooge and looking forward to getting into a cold bed, and hot cocoa. :SLEEP:

I regret those four schooners now and I regret not taking my washing in before I went to bed as it rained. I do have a back-up of a drier in my unit though.