Snakes in Geraldton Western Australia

Guest don83

Hi all

I am just waiting on our 457 visa to be granted for myself and my boyfriend and i wanted to ask anyone who would know if snakes were a problem in Geraldton? Were hoping to be there by mid january and i have a serious worry over snakes!!! even having nightmares!!! I know it might sound silly apologies :biggrin:

Guest Guest31881

Snakes are not really a problem anywhere, they try to avoid humans and this human defiantly tries to avoid them. I have seen one snake in Australia in nearly 3 years, and that one was not dangerous. Not sure about your location, but I can guarantee you are worrying for nothing.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi don

i have been a wildlife ranger and only ever come across 2, we have lived in Oz 8 years and for the last year we have lived in a rainforest and last week I saw my first ever snake near our home, well in our chicken pen. I feel if we didn't have chickens I would have never seen him, he was a gorgeous 8ft python. So to say I work and live in their territory and I have only seen 3 in 8 years I think you will be fine and may never see one in your life

Guest guest17301

Lived here for 3 years...never seen one....obviously they're here...just stay out of the dunes and the long grass and hopefully you won't cross paths!

Guest orlaandjoe

I'm hoping I won't see any, we are moving there in January too! Although I think I'd be more scared if I came face to face with a spider! Good luck with your (hopefully snake-free) move!:wink:

hi orla and joe, how exciting were all off to Geraldton :) i cant wait finding the wait on visa grant stressful!! have you any useful info for me and my boyfriend? :)

Guest orlaandjoe
hi orla and joe, how exciting were all off to Geraldton :) i cant wait finding the wait on visa grant stressful!! have you any useful info for me and my boyfriend? :)

I know its great there seems to be loads heading to geraldton allright!:) We are still at the stressful waiting for visa stage, employer has lodged nomination a few weeks ago, so we are waiting for TRN to be able to lodge our side!how long did this part take for you guys?and how long ago did you lodge your application?

Hiya Orla and Joe :)

Visa was lodged on 29th November and all we have to do now is for my boyfriend to sign his employment contract and then its sorted we were advised we should have visa granted before xmas break :) so fingers crossed seems to be a very fast process, as my bf's new employer is doing the visa stuff thorugh fast and we got tracking number today but only waiting on the employment contract to be lodged and should be set :) fingers crossed no nasty suprises!

Guest orlaandjoe
Hiya Orla and Joe :)

Visa was lodged on 29th November and all we have to do now is for my boyfriend to sign his employment contract and then its sorted we were advised we should have visa granted before xmas break :) so fingers crossed seems to be a very fast process, as my bf's new employer is doing the visa stuff thorugh fast and we got tracking number today but only waiting on the employment contract to be lodged and should be set :) fingers crossed no nasty suprises!

Thats great hopefully you get it granted before xmas so you can relax! hopefully our process goes quickly too so excited to get over there!

• 10 years later...

I lived in Perth for 8 years, never saw one. Been living 15km north of Geraldton on a 2.5 acre block for the last 3 years, never seen any snakes in town, but here in this semi-rural environment, we see a few in the summer, usually as roadkill on the country lanes, possibly in search of the rabbits and lizards that are also roadkill. According to my Aussie hubby, whose been around Oz twice and knows a fair bit about surviving in the bush (outback), if you see a snake and have time to slowly back away, do so, if you don't have time, stand stock still and let it pass you. They are not slimy, just cooler than you'd expect because they are cold-bloodied. Snakes, just like any other wild animal, will only bite if they feel threatened. I had a close encounter about 3 weeks ago, I was riding my pushy (bicycle) and was distracted by a passing car. I usually keep an eye out for traffic of both the vehicular and fauna variety, but a snake came out from under a bush on the opposite side of the road at right angles to me. I was travelling too fast to stop and decided to keep pedalling as fast as I could. Fortunately the snake stopped and looked at me, and I looked at it, and I thought, "please mate, don't mistake this as an attack". The snake did not attempt to strike, but this was a situation I wouldn't like to repeat, so now in addition to my mobile phone I carry a Snake Bite Bandage as a precaution. Golden Rule if you do get bitten: keep calm and still, certainly do not try to catch the snake; call for help dialling 000 (not 999); do not try and suck the poison out, that's an old wives tale, and do not wipe away the venom because the doctor will want to swab it to identify the snake; just use the compression bandage firmly from the bite site towards the heart. If you can photograph the snake on your mobile, great, but don't put yourself at further risk of another bite. The anti-venom here is very good. Apparently there's more chance of you dying from a bee-sting than a snake or spider or shark bite. Simply watch where you're going, and don't aggravate a snake by poking it with a stick.

My best advice is: come here, enjoy the lifestyle, the scenery, the weather, and the humour and work ethic of your average Aussie, and you'll love it. From Day One, I resolved to make as many Aussie friends as possible rather than sticking with Poms, as people tend to do in the northern suburbs of Perth, and try and lose your Pommie accent. Seriously, my father was in the RAF, so I soon learnt at an early age that the best way to fit in, is to adopt the local culture rather than cling to your own. I know people who have lived here for 30 years and still have a strong Scouse or Brummie accent and it makes my toes curl.  I visited Australia 6 times before I migrated, so I knew what I was letting myself in for; it is so sad to see Brits come here, try one place for 6 months, then go back because they're homesick, then come back here again 12 months later. If you're gonna make a go of it, jump in with both feet. If you come thinking "if we don't like it we'll go back" then you are doomed to fail, and all that expense will have been for nothing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jan5709 said:

I lived in Perth for 8 years, never saw one. Been living 15km north of Geraldton on a 2.5 acre block for the last 3 years, never seen any snakes in town, but here in this semi-rural environment, we see a few in the summer, usually as roadkill on the country lanes, possibly in search of the rabbits and lizards that are also roadkill. According to my Aussie hubby, whose been around Oz twice and knows a fair bit about surviving in the bush (outback), if you see a snake and have time to slowly back away, do so, if you don't have time, stand stock still and let it pass you. They are not slimy, just cooler than you'd expect because they are cold-bloodied. Snakes, just like any other wild animal, will only bite if they feel threatened. I had a close encounter about 3 weeks ago, I was riding my pushy (bicycle) and was distracted by a passing car. I usually keep an eye out for traffic of both the vehicular and fauna variety, but a snake came out from under a bush on the opposite side of the road at right angles to me. I was travelling too fast to stop and decided to keep pedalling as fast as I could. Fortunately the snake stopped and looked at me, and I looked at it, and I thought, "please mate, don't mistake this as an attack". The snake did not attempt to strike, but this was a situation I wouldn't like to repeat, so now in addition to my mobile phone I carry a Snake Bite Bandage as a precaution. Golden Rule if you do get bitten: keep calm and still, certainly do not try to catch the snake; call for help dialling 000 (not 999); do not try and suck the poison out, that's an old wives tale, and do not wipe away the venom because the doctor will want to swab it to identify the snake; just use the compression bandage firmly from the bite site towards the heart. If you can photograph the snake on your mobile, great, but don't put yourself at further risk of another bite. The anti-venom here is very good. Apparently there's more chance of you dying from a bee-sting than a snake or spider or shark bite. Simply watch where you're going, and don't aggravate a snake by poking it with a stick.

My best advice is: come here, enjoy the lifestyle, the scenery, the weather, and the humour and work ethic of your average Aussie, and you'll love it. From Day One, I resolved to make as many Aussie friends as possible rather than sticking with Poms, as people tend to do in the northern suburbs of Perth, and try and lose your Pommie accent. Seriously, my father was in the RAF, so I soon learnt at an early age that the best way to fit in, is to adopt the local culture rather than cling to your own. I know people who have lived here for 30 years and still have a strong Scouse or Brummie accent and it makes my toes curl.  I visited Australia 6 times before I migrated, so I knew what I was letting myself in for; it is so sad to see Brits come here, try one place for 6 months, then go back because they're homesick, then come back here again 12 months later. If you're gonna make a go of it, jump in with both feet. If you come thinking "if we don't like it we'll go back" then you are doomed to fail, and all that expense will have been for nothing.

Why should anyone try and lose their accent? If it comes about well and good, but loads prosper with an accent of some kind. Not sure about the work ethic. Never really noticed it being in any way superior to others. Friends? I'd advise make friends anyone that can connect to be those Aussies or Poms or others. 

19 hours ago, Jan5709 said:

Do you realise this thread in 10 years old?