Freckleface

What does Australian Citizenship mean to you?

I have always thought people became Australian citizens because they liked it here and wanted to make an ongoing commitment to Australia. I suppose it didn't really occur to me until I joined PIO and read some of the posts that anyone would swear allegiance to a country, and its people, if they didn't like it here and/or didn't want to call Australia home.

I would be really interested to know what becoming an Australian citizen means to you. Is it just a convenience? Or is it something more meaningful to you?</SPAN>

It was a necessary evil at the time to work in the public service. If it were a choice of the red or blue passport, the blue would be handed in first.

We got citizenship as to us it was the final piece of the migration jigsaw and made us feel complete. The added bonus was giving our children the advatage of dual citizenship so they can choose where they want to be when older without having to jump through the hoops we did.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Giving the thread a twist.....several years ago I finally applied for UK citizenship after 20 odd years over there. It had nothing to do with a commitment (which explains why I'm back in Oz!) or sense of identity, it was just that I'd had a baby who was a dual national and I suddenly wanted the irreversible right to live anywhere she could. I'd hand in the red and keep the blue if made to choose but I'm glad to have both.

Like Cal it was a piece in our jigsaw but also a commitment to the country we hope to stay in for a long time.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I think to me it would mean belonging; a piece of me that's committed to this other home, life I've made.

309/100 visa lodged 04/02/2013, living in Aus since 01/07/2013, visa granted 02/09/2013!

Giving the thread a twist.....several years ago I finally applied for UK citizenship after 20 odd years over there. It had nothing to do with a commitment (which explains why I'm back in Oz!) or sense of identity, it was just that I'd had a baby who was a dual national and I suddenly wanted the irreversible right to live anywhere she could. I'd hand in the red and keep the blue if made to choose but I'm glad to have both.

I'll be up for c'ship next year and of course will take it. i'll still regard myself as english but it offers more opportunities having dual citizenship. i don't personally feel that in order to acquire aus citizenship i suddenly need to change who i am or pretend to be something i'm not

My Brain Hurts!

When I got citizenship I thought I would be here forever. I don't know why I did it, it was just the next step. I am glad I did, cos now my child is a dual national and I also have given this country as much as I could in terms of public service, honesty and not ripping off any systems. In return, Australia has been good to me (in terms of salary and benefits and I don't mean centrelink type but more the advantages that come with being Australian). I think Australia, seems to be good to her people and for this I am grateful. I am glad that the country where my child was born, she will be able to call it home if she likes.

I am British (and I love to be British) and Australian (I also like to be Australian too), but before that I am Scottish :) (can't help it)

Guest guest17301

Its a shame you cant just call yourself a 'world citizen'....but anyway when we are able to take citizenship in around 12 months we will and it will mean a lot to us....a sense of further belonging...though have not once felt unwelcome or not at home here....we call Australia 'home' always have since the day we landed. UK is where we came from but not home any longer. If push came to shove and we had to choose, I know which it would be...who knows how we'll feel in 20 years...currently though Australia is where our allegiance lies.

Guest guest59177

Bin givin thi' un a bi' 'o a tho' thar freckie... u've put me ol' brain in a righ' muddle thar I must say... well fer wuz its wurth me thinks it'd be a righ' waste o' a gud upperchunity... I plain dun' believe in wastin' gud nosh and gud upperchoonity - no SIR never me that's wuz me ol' man always taught me, he said 'Now, you listen ter yer ol' man young lepto. There's be too things in the world u must ne'er waste cuz itz a dun righ' eenooormity (me thinks that's wha' he said nooo shewr tho') and thaz gud nosh and gud upperchewnity' so if yer askin' me, I'd goo fur it if I e'er gut the chance...

Bin givin thi' un a bi' 'o a tho' thar freckie... u've put me ol' brain in a righ' muddle thar I must say... well fer wuz its wurth me thinks it'd be a righ' waste o' a gud upperchunity... I plain dun' believe in wastin' gud nosh and gud upperchoonity - no SIR never me that's wuz me ol' man always taught me, he said 'Now, you listen ter yer ol' man young lepto. There's be too things in the world u must ne'er waste cuz itz a dun righ' eenooormity (me thinks that's wha' he said nooo shewr tho') and thaz gud nosh and gud upperchewnity' so if yer askin' me, I'd goo fur it if I e'er gut the chance...

eh???????

Guest guest59177
eh???????

OI u can always understand Stevie Ellis how come you can't understand that??? :tongue:

well im scottish but stevie doesnt type like that, theres only a few words i cant understand. Lol was that you trying to sound scottish? :cute:

Guest guest59177
well im scottish but stevie doesnt type like that, theres only a few words i cant understand. Lol was that you trying to sound scottish? :cute:

Actually I was trying to flex my creative writing muscles :biggrin: (OK grey cells). I took some pointers from Stevie Ellis but mostly I improvised. So, I ended up sounding Scottish eh? Which words didn't you understand?

it sounded more like a made up language lol just kidding, we'll make a little scot out of you yet! :cute:

Guest guest59177
it sounded more like a made up language lol just kidding, we'll make a little scot out of you yet! :cute:

OI I wanna be a BIG scot see???

My Dad chose to go to India as a soldier; Mum chose that we go to England after WWII. I chose to go to Australia and after the obligatory time, got my Australian citizenship. I've given this land 38 years of good work and in return, it has given me a lifetime of adventures, some heartbreak and tons of happiness. Never regretted a moment of it.

Cheers, Bobj.

We did it before we had children and we had only been here about eighteen months at the time. At the ceremony they asked why we were bothering and we said if we are having children here they will be Australian so we should be as well.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

We would like citizenship for a couple of reasons. Firstly we would like our children to have dual citizenship, because then they have the choice of what they want to do with their lives. Secondly, I would like to be part of this wonderful country in which we live, and be able to vote and so on. I think that that is quite important.

Going to go for it when eligible + 1 on the voting it appals me people don't exercise a right people have (historically) died for. Also you can come and go as you please with an aussie passport no messing about after 5 years with return visas....

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar

You are seriously crazy...but in a nice way :rolleyes:

Guest guest59177
You are seriously crazy...but in a nice way :rolleyes:

Awwwww geeeeeeee THANKS!!! :hug:

I am quite a ways behind on the road to citizenship and a lot will depend on how my 4 years go once I come over to Australia. If I marry and have kids, I will have to get the citizenship so I can always be where my kids are. If I don't have kids, even then, I'll see how the 4 years go. There really isn't anything which would lead me to believe they would be anything less than wonderful and probably I will be hooked, but I just want to keep that wee bit of possibility because nobody knows what the future holds...