Banana picking

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest guest37336

It seems as though the backpackers of today seem to be far more protected against a lot of dodgy dealings of the old days.

Many a time I worked and either never got paid or was in constant 'dispute' with many farmers about the work/hours/pay.

There were no real agencies back then, and I would imagine it is now far more regulated and a fair days pay for a fair days work, all good if you follow the guidelines.:jiggy:

Hmmm - not sure I like the sound of this

"In order for you to be placed on the work list you must pay one ‘non refundable’ week of accommodation along with a $300 deposit. We do not guarantee work as it is not guaranteed to us. However, we do our best to find you work as soon as possible. We cannot guarantee the amount of work, as horticultural work is subject to change without notice, often due to the weather or market prices."

Thought it was illegal in Oz (as well as the UK) to take money upfront to find you work?

Think we'll give these guys a miss - personally I *hate* the idea of work hostels, anything where a single profit making venture has a monopoly is only a bad thing for consumers and workers alike.

(But thank you for all the ideas of work Kate, sorry if it sounds like I'm being rude and ungrateful to you, I'm not :) )

Guest The Pom Queen
Hmmm - not sure I like the sound of this

"In order for you to be placed on the work list you must pay one ‘non refundable’ week of accommodation along with a $300 deposit. We do not guarantee work as it is not guaranteed to us. However, we do our best to find you work as soon as possible. We cannot guarantee the amount of work, as horticultural work is subject to change without notice, often due to the weather or market prices."

Thought it was illegal in Oz (as well as the UK) to take money upfront to find you work?

Think we'll give these guys a miss - personally I *hate* the idea of work hostels, anything where a single profit making venture has a monopoly is only a bad thing for consumers and workers alike.

(But thank you for all the ideas of work Kate, sorry if it sounds like I'm being rude and ungrateful to you, I'm not :) )

I don't take it personal at all so please don't worry. I hadn't read all the info. I know people say what rip offs these fruit farms etc are.

To be honest I think there are a lot out there who take advantage of backpackers.

Guest AKA63029
I don't take it personal at all so please don't worry. I hadn't read all the info. I know people say what rip offs these fruit farms etc are.

To be honest I think there are a lot out there who take advantage of backpackers.

I know the feeling only too well Kate.

I wasn't sure the first time, so I went back and made SURE I had been taken advantage of (five times):shocked:

Goodo - didn't want you to think I was being horrid to you (not that it would probaby bother you, but I don't like being rude lol).

I think it works both ways to be fair - it must be annoying for a farmer to get someone in to do a job and find them having done a bunk after two days leaving him in the lurch with his crops, as well as lots of people ripping off the silly young (I wish!) backpacker too.

And what's happened to him indoors - why the AKA? :S I is confusedled.....