You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest ComingDownUnder

Anyone offer any information about these areas?

Guest ComingDownUnder

Hi all,

My husband and I along with our two children are going to be heading to Melbourne some time between February and April, depending on how quickly our visas get sorted, and are currently looking in to areas we are interested in renting in.

We have friends in Newport and Mornington, each offering advice about their own areas and we are weighing up the pros and cons of both.

Whilst doing some research we have come across the areas Glen Waverley, Mitcham and Box Hill and wondered if anyone would be able to offer any information about those places and whether they would be suitable for a family with two young children (2 1/2 and 6 months respectively).

We are looking to be under an hour to the CBD either by rail or road and would like a nice, friendly, safe and clean area with plenty of parks and open spaces.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer.

They are all ok areas. Box Hill is a dry area, no pubs, however the restaurants have been allowed to have a liquor licence this changed in the late nineties.

Its a popular area.

Glen Waverley is ok as well, good train line. Not that close to the CBD though

Mitcham leafy ok

Anywhere close to CBD is expensive to buy and rent. Said in the paper that people need to have an after tax income of hundred grand to buy a house these days in Melbourne.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest ComingDownUnder

Thanks for the info Petals, didn't know that about alcohol in Box Hill. I like red wine, not sure I would like it there very much:wink:

Box Hill is also highly populated by Asians, nothing wrong with that but better being aware of it.

Box Hill is also highly populated by Asians, nothing wrong with that but better being aware of it.

As is all that area, Balwyn, Doncaster etc as the private schools are very accessible.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest TipsyKoala

Hi,

We've just moved to the area from the UK.

We're not here for long as we're based in Perth but we had decided to buy a house in Wantirna as an investment but we're renting at the moment at Mount Waverley. We decided to rent in Mount Waverley as we were living in the CBD which was a nightmare for the kids and they needed to go to school. Then my Dad died and I had to return to the UK for a little stay so the kids got settled into the house here with my hubby.

Glen Waverley and Mount Waverely are pretty expensive but they are close to the CBD in terms of travelling. I drop my husband off at Mt Waverley station at 7ish. It takes him about 30mins to get to Flinders and then 5-10 mins walk to work on Collins Street. Trains to CBD are every 10 mins I think and same on the journey home at 5ish.

Our rental isn't expensive in comparison to the CBD apartment we had and it's enormous. It's very difficult to get a rental here as the Real Estate people often don't help like they do in the UK. We found Harcourts in Glen Waverley fab though.

If Glen Waverley doesn't have what you want try Wantirna....much more a 'lifestyle' place to be and a lot cheaper. Larger plots and a very nice atmosphere. It has fab schools and good shops at Knox City Shopping Centre.

My OH's boss lives in Wantirna and he drives to Mitcham line (5-10mins), 40mins to Flinders then 5-10 mins walk to Collins Street- he says he can do it in 50-60 mins door to door.

In terms of affordabiltiy it depends on what you bring from the UK in savings etc as to what you can afford as well as salary...

Good luck

x

Guest ComingDownUnder

Thank you so much, Tipsykoala, a lot of food for thought there and another great suggestion for an area to look at. Thanks very much!