ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raymondo

Route to PR - Pros/Cons

Guest Raymondo

Hi All,

After spending much of 2010 in Australia on a working holiday visa (no regional work experience) I am more and more focused on permanent migration by the day!

After a failed (it seems the list of "recognised institutions" from which your degree must be from make no sense!) attempt at a recent graduate visa late last year I have been looking at my options.

I am a UK citizen, 25, Mechanical Engineer with no dependants so points test wise at least I don't think I have any troubles.

Ultimately I am looking to live in Melbourne (Automotive industry and Mountain Biking) within 12 months with the right to work and ideally no ties to an employer.

I think I have missed out on a few jobs due to not having a visa in place so I am being drawn towards a VIC sponsored 176 visa would be my best bet to get me where I want in a realistic period of time. I am looking to apply for state sponsorship ASAP but would initiating this process have any knock on effects if I were to secure 457 sponsorship in the mean time?

What are peoples experiences of the VIC sponsorship and 176 visa processing time scales at the moment. Can I submit my 176 application before i receive state sponsorship conformation (would there be any benefit of doing this). Are there any changes due on the horizon which I should submit before/wait until after?

Luckily I have a Canadian work visa ready to go so the plan will be to go and sit out the wait in Vancouver for the summer and for however long it takes... could be worse!

Hi All,

After spending much of 2010 in Australia on a working holiday visa (no regional work experience) I am more and more focused on permanent migration by the day!

After a failed (it seems the list of "recognised institutions" from which your degree must be from make no sense!) attempt at a recent graduate visa late last year I have been looking at my options.

I am a UK citizen, 25, Mechanical Engineer with no dependants so points test wise at least I don't think I have any troubles.

Ultimately I am looking to live in Melbourne (Automotive industry and Mountain Biking) within 12 months with the right to work and ideally no ties to an employer.

I think I have missed out on a few jobs due to not having a visa in place so I am being drawn towards a VIC sponsored 176 visa would be my best bet to get me where I want in a realistic period of time. I am looking to apply for state sponsorship ASAP but would initiating this process have any knock on effects if I were to secure 457 sponsorship in the mean time?

What are peoples experiences of the VIC sponsorship and 176 visa processing time scales at the moment. Can I submit my 176 application before i receive state sponsorship conformation (would there be any benefit of doing this). Are there any changes due on the horizon which I should submit before/wait until after?

Luckily I have a Canadian work visa ready to go so the plan will be to go and sit out the wait in Vancouver for the summer and for however long it takes... could be worse!

You need to have State Sponsorship - BEFORE your can apply for the 176 visa, but before you can apply for State Sponsorship, you will need to have your Skills Assessed by Engineers Australia, and the IELTS done. From the Vic SMP you need your IELTS to have all 7's or above for SS, but depending on your points you might need all 8's to have enough points for for visa application.

What Ive read Vic can be quite fussy on who they give SS to, and can take quite a number of weeks to have an answer.

There are changes to the application in 1 jul 2012, that Expression of Interest and invitation to apply comes into effect, with first invitations around jan 2013.

At the moment Cat 3 applications (176SS) are receiving a CO in about 3 weeks, CAt 4 (175) in about 7-8 months, with the changes next year, Cat 4 hopefully will get faster. We applied for 176SS in Sept and had visa in 6 weeks, after lodging. But it will take you time to get your skills assessment and IELTS done, unless you have them already. If you degree is under Washington Accord your skills assessment can be a couple of weeks, if not (like my OH) the skills assessment took 4 months as a CDR was needed.

Maybe you should speak to a RMA with advice on best way forward for you.

Yep no point playing the what if game, just stick to one plan and see what happens, commit yourself to a 176, it will be upto a year anyway, you may even like Vancouver, its a great place to live and work.

Guest Raymondo

Thanks for the information. A dark, cold English winters evening doesn't leave any question in the back of my mind!

I have just had a good read through the online info WRT the 176 visa and have started preparing supporting documentation.

I have a few questions hopefully someone may be able to help with,

For the employment history aspect of the points test, I have a period of 8 months where I was working 1 day a week (8 hours) at the same time as my masters degree, however either side of this I have a block of full time (40hr week) employment. Am I able to average hours out to get credit for the full duration at 20 hours+ per week?

Also I have some work experience in Australia but <1 year, am I able to gain any pro-rata credit for this?

Are points calculated based on your status on the application date or the assessment date? (as I will accumulate employment duration over this period)

I think I may take the IELTS test to hopefully boost my points by 10, if not 20 points. I am a UK citizen and feel I have good language skills, is this easy for a native English speaker or does it require very high level language skills to obtain grade 8's?

Finally, on the document checklist (http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/about-us/help/application-guide-for-skilled--sponsored-176-and-886-visas/documentation-checklist-for-skilled---sponsored-visa-applications) skills assessment and IELTS assessment are shown as "if applicable" I take that they are in this case?

Many thanks in advance for any advice...