Cleaning Public BBQs in parks

NowPerth

Hi

We are going to use the public BBQ in the park. We've only just got here and I'm not sure what happens? Presumably we should clean it after, but it will be really hot.

What do people do??? If anyone can offer advice I'd be grateful because I don't want to do the wrong thing.:unsure:

Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

The best time to clean it is when it's hot, you can buy BBQ wet wipes that work a treat, I've seen some people take a water bottle with washing up liquid in.

Guest guest17301

We take a lemon off the tree(breaks down the grease) an old scourer and some water in a bottle. Pet hate to have to clean it before you use it...always clean off your own mess.

Every supermarket sells barbeque brushes which are basically a handle with a wire brush on one side and a scraper on the other. Spray a bit of liquid on when hot and scrape away...clean in seconds.

I bought a brush about 4 years ago and it's still going...though I may treat myself to a new one this summer.

I've always wondered about this!

When we were in Coffs harbour there was a gang of lads embarking on a stag night which started with a BBQ, when we arrived they hurriedly dashed to clean it all down for us by throwing a handful of ice on it and scrapping it clean. We all ended up having a good time together before the lads took off for other stag-related activities no doubt!

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

When we were over in Oz last year I was shown to clean a hot BBQ with basic salt and water and a scrub with newspaper or kitchen towel which got any crusty old BBQ gleaming in no time :-)

I also started cooking on public bbqs using tin foil as it meant very little cleaning and I got to eat when the food was still hot :-D

I took the dog for a walk yesterday morning. When I got back to the car it was just after 7am. The bin truck was nearby and a white van had parked up in the middle of the grass in the park by a bbq. 2 men in flourescent jackets were cleaning the bbq, presumably from the council. I was really impressed! What a fab service.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
Guest eva.bowker

Definitely, make sure to clean the BBQ before and after you use it. It's a fact, that hot temperature kills bacteria from the BBQ surface, but toxins from old oils and fats can still get you sick. Don't use harsh materials when cleaning the BBQ to avoid affecting the food taste after that. Just turn on the BBQ, wait until it gets hot - this will burn off any food residue from the surface. Wait for 10 minutes and after that scrub the grill with a spatula or metal scraper. Pour cooking oil and use a ball made of newspapers or sponge and quickly spread the oil throughout the surface ( BE CAREFUL, it's hot! ). You can use onion as well. Cut it in half and spread around the oil with the onion. Repeat the procedure after use following the same steps. 

I have heard stories of people weeing and such on park BBQs. Don't know how true that is.

With a brick park BBQ I would clean it with salt. Tends to rust the domestic ones.

As above, but newspaper ink can be toxic, I would use butchers paper or just a BBQ cleaning brush.

I would definitely use one of those BBQ liners on a park BBQ, just in case.

I can fit my BBQ plates in my kitchen sink, so I clean them there with soap and water. They don't need to be spotless. Clean before and after. Snails like BBQs.