Ironside or Indooroopilly State School ?

HenryJones

• 4 years later...

Found this thread through Google. Sorry for bumping an old one but for anyone using this for guidance. Here's a small update on catchment areas for schools 

Many of the top public schools (primary and high) are at capacity In Brisbane. You pretty much have to live in the set catchment area to now get into them - with very few out of catchment applications being accepted. This is very much the case for the western suburbs of Brisbane. On the plus side - most of the Western suburbs mentioned - Graceville, Toowong, Indooroopilly, Bardon, Sherwood and those in between are fancy suburbs with parents in "elite" jobs as such. You will find the majority of public schools in this area are of very good quality, with well rounded parents raising well rounded children. Much of a muchness. If your child doesn't have any learning issues or a tendency to follow "bad" kids (or even be the bad kid), I wouldn't be overly stressed about which school they get put into. Generally speaking for Brisbane, anything inner city or along the river is a good area with good schools.

Something that could be of importance to some parents is how many children attend to the schools - both ironside and indro are very large with over 1k students and growing. While many don't find it an issue, if your kid needs a bit more attention, perhaps seek a smaller school. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm not from the UK, but am an Aussie looking for info on these schools also, and just wanted to thank everyone's input on the subject.

Just wanted to add that there are two new inner Brisbane High schools - one north in Fortitude Valley, one south in Dutton Park - which will take the stress off some of the other high schools at over capacity like Brisbane High & Kelvin Grove College.

I was leaning toward Kelvin Grove for my kids, until I considered how nice it might be to live nearer the river, and use the CityCat more as a public transport option over buses & trains. Now I am researching more these other schools in/around Indo, St Lucia, Toowong, Auchenflower etc.

Such a tough decision to choose a school for kids when you don't live in the area (I currently live in Victoria). My daughter is 10, and son 8, so High school is in our rapidly approaching future!

-Ange