Adelaide Taxi Driver in Court for wearing Jeans

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm sorry but come on, does it really matter what the taxi drivers wear, I have never once looked at what a driver may be or may be not wearing and I can't believe that a matter like this has gone to court:wub::no:

A TAXI driver has been put on trial in the Adelaide Magistrates Court for allegedly wearing denim jeans on the job.

Shahram Forozandeh is being prosecuted by the Transport, Energy and Infrastructure Department over an alleged breach of the state's taxi driver uniform standards.

The department claims he wore blue jeans "with orange stitching" but the Passenger Transport Act requires him to wear dress pants.

In another case this week, a driver was charged for allegedly obscuring his white dress shirt with a jacket.

Yesterday Bill Gonis, manager of public transport for the State Government, said uniforms were an important part of driver compliance.

"It's especially important at this time of year that the public has confidence that taxi drivers are properly accredited and professional in the way they present themselves," he said. "Wearing proper uniform is one way to ensure a driver is complying with the regulations."

Mr Forozandeh, 44, of Brooklyn Park, has pleaded not guilty to one count of failing to wear a uniform as specified. Giving evidence yesterday, Senior Transport Compliance Safety Officer Larry Cutufia said he issued an on-the-spot fine at Victoria Square on January 20. "I knew they were jeans because of the colour, the material, the studs on the pockets and the predominately orange stitching on the seams," he said. "That's not wearing the proper uniform (of) navy blue, brown or black business-style trousers."

Mr Cutufia said Mr Forozandeh claimed his work pants "had been ripped" and declined to step out of the taxi to be photographed. Mr Forozandeh, representing himself, challenged Mr Cutufia's account. "You cautioned me that morning, you did not fine me on the spot ... I did not receive the fine until May," he said. "You cautioned me, I took a fare to Darlington and you decided to fine me after I left."

Outside court, Mr Gonis said compliance officers were not required to meet a fines quota.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/cabbie-in-court-for-wearing-denim-jeans/story-e6frfkvr-1226217443144#ixzz1fvwRvkaF

Guest guest59177

Although the difference in the two accounts sets warning bells going in my head, I am totally for enforcing the rules. I have said it elsewhere and I will say it again, maintaining proper law and order is what makes the West such an enviable place for everyone. Without this, things would spiral down very quickly and then people would be really cribbing. Finally, the article doesn't say WHY the proceedings were initiated - it is possible that the taxi driver refused to pay the fine which is why this path needs to be followed.

I live in Adelaide and such daft crap does not surprise me in the slightest here.This place is really anal,and there is a definite fine and prosecute culture over anything and everything in all areas of every day living.Threats abound all over the place,you will be fined for this that and the other!:arghh:Cautions and bollickings don't seem to exist,the relevant authorities seem to delight in carrying their threats through for any slight transgression and hammer you with huge fines,and they'll follow you to the end of the earth to get their dosh!This is summat that really get's up my snotter!:mad: