Name of animal which makes strange noise

marta

I am looking for the name of an animal which makes an extremely loud, long-lasting screeching sound (=noise), starting and ending abruptly.

Almost every night shortly after dark the animal in question, which seems to be sitting in or living near trees, starts this noise together with several of its cheeky animal friends of the same sort, almost like a concert. What a clever little bugger, whatever it is.......

It's a terribly noisy, loud, screechy, and kind of creepy sound. Like a siren, a broken door alarm of some sort. Sorry can't describe it any better.

BTW I live in St Kilda if that helps.

Does anyone know what that animal is called? Has anyone heard the sound too?

I am curious to find out.:err::eek:

Guest VickyMel

We are wondering something similar - but it is a constant noise (not just a single one off), up and down up and down (as you say like an alarm), that shrills for about 5-10 minutes.

The strength of a car alarm (said to the OH last night that if our neighbour was drilling in the wall we would not hear it over that racket!) in the tree right outside out lounge we have to turn the TV up or raise out voices to be heard. We are not far from St Kilda and also heard it in the park last night and other houses/trees when walking home - there they were on the grass but they stop when you get close so we were not able to see what it was.

Really keen to find out.

From experiencing similar sounds before I think that it is a beetle or cricket advertising themselves to the opposite sex.

PS we usually hear it between about 8-9pm as the sun disappears.

PPS - also wondered if it might be a frog?

Guest The Pom Queen
It sounds like your describing a Cicada

Agree, I can't imagine much more being in St Kilda although they do get possums but doesn't sound like them.

Haha, cool, so many people wondering what it might be. Thanks so much!!!:hug:

Now then, I asked the guys on my German forum too, because you never know, you know, and someone came up with an animal which has been mentioned on here too and I think it might that one.

Guess what, huh? Giving you a little bit of a hint from Little Britain: "Uh I luv me li'l froggies....":wub: Got it?!

Yeah, that's right, it might be a colony of FROGS. Can you believe it?:eek:

Well here is a Youtube video on the Barking Tree Frog but look also for the video on the Green Tree Frog as one of the two lovelies might be the cheeky bugger(s) in our surroundings. What a noise! Unbelievable!

So here it is. Have fun, enjoy.

Barking Tree Frog Sounds

Green Tree Frog Sounds

What do you reckon?

Guest The Pom Queen
No uie asking me................the first time I heard a kookaburra I asked an Aussie mate, "Are there monkeys in Australia?" :rolleyes:

They do sound a lot like a monkey. I remember seeing my first ever Joey BT possum I thought it was a gremlin

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately you don't get the green tree frogs in Victoria they love the tropical climate.

Haha, cool, so many people wondering what it might be. Thanks so much!!!:hug:

Now then, I asked the guys on my German forum too, because you never know, you know, and someone came up with an animal which has been mentioned on here too and I think it might that one.

Guess what, huh? Giving you a little bit of a hint from Little Britain: "Uh I luv me li'l froggies....":wub: Got it?!

Yeah, that's right, it might be a colony of FROGS. Can you believe it?:eek:

Well here is a Youtube video on the Barking Tree Frog but look also for the video on the Green Tree Frog as one of the two lovelies might be the cheeky bugger(s) in our surroundings. What a noise! Unbelievable!

So here it is. Have fun, enjoy.

Barking Tree Frog Sounds

Green Tree Frog Sounds

What do you reckon?

Possume live all over the city and they make the most horrible frightening noises, probably frighten children that not used to them. They growl and snarl and its creepy.

As others have said Cicada is the problem and if you want to shut it up for a while you just go outside and stamp around, they stop when you stamp on where they are in the soil. Unfortunately they do start again.

I am looking for the name of an animal which makes an extremely loud, long-lasting screeching sound (=noise), starting and ending abruptly.

Almost every night shortly after dark the animal in question, which seems to be sitting in or living near trees, starts this noise together with several of its cheeky animal friends of the same sort, almost like a concert. What a clever little bugger, whatever it is.......

It's a terribly noisy, loud, screechy, and kind of creepy sound. Like a siren, a broken door alarm of some sort. Sorry can't describe it any better.

BTW I live in St Kilda if that helps.

Does anyone know what that animal is called? Has anyone heard the sound too?

I am curious to find out.:err::eek:

Sounds like a bat!

After reading this (last night) I realised that it's almost certainly cicada's.

It's very warm in Melbourne at the moment and that really does get them going!

They sit in the gum tree outside my house and when you walk under it there is a 'zone' of about 6 feet where is phyiscally hurts your ears!

Had to shut the doors and windows last night just to be able to hear the telly!

Geoff

Now then, I checked some other Youtube vids on Cicads and I now think you guys are right!!! It's most definitely cicadas.:confused:

I changed my mind because as someone said earlier, these Tree Frogs usually don't occur in Victoria but mainly in more humid surroundings further up north, and more to the east such as Queensland.

I find it quite remarkable that I have been philosophizing about a little animal for two days now. Everything is possible when you live in Oz........ :goofy:

Guest The Pom Queen
Now then, I checked some other Youtube vids on Cicads and I now think you guys are right!!! It's most definitely cicadas.:confused:

I changed my mind because as someone said earlier, these Tree Frogs usually don't occur in Victoria but mainly in more humid surroundings further up north, and more to the east such as Queensland.

I find it quite remarkable that I have been philosophizing about a little animal for two days now. Everything is possible when you live in Oz........ :goofy:

Don't worry about it, you should hear the noises that come out of the rainforest behind us at night, some are quite scary. The loudest are the green tree frogs for such a small thing they have one hell of a voice:yes: