Closing the door

whichway

Hi Folks,

Anyone who has been conversing with me on this brilliant form will know I am going home.:biggrin:

Since I started the return process (even although I have been unhappy here for several years) I was doubt full that this is the right decision for me and my family..... But my decision was reinforced about a week ago....

We had a beautiful house, the most beautiful and biggest house I think I will ever have the good fortune to live in, I had a good job, the best I've ever had in my life. About a week ago our house sale went through and it was time to move out. So we cleaned it out and shut the door.

The thing that struck me most of all was how much I had loved this house but in the end I had no emotional attachment to it at all. Normally before moving out of a house I would have a sentimental stroll through, but I didn't and had absolutely no desire to. Just before I shut the door I looked into the lounge and all I could see was how lonely I had been there. To put it into context, if in a year I had 100days off work 95 of those days were spent by myself. And everywhere I went I went by myself. All that house was to me was almost like a cell.

If I am ever questioning my motives for returning, I'll just remember my big fat lonely cell.

Guest The Pom Queen

I am so happy for you, it's been a long hard battle but at the end of the day all you are leaving behind is material things and these don't bring happiness. Please don't vanish from the forum as I would love to know how you go on back home.

Hugs

K

Hi again, get that post we too had a huge house with pool had and still have no regrets selling. I remember I used to look over the pool and think I should be so happy having all this felt ever so selfish but something was missing. I felt more connected to my terraced house in England I we used to have.

Having a holiday in New Zealand at moment before we leave Oz which I am glad we have done it is beautiful. I have started applying for jobs now so cross fingers. Whereabouts are you in Australia?

Guest Shelduck

To put it into context, if in a year I had 100days off work 95 of those days were spent by myself. And everywhere I went I went by myself.

i soo know what you mean!

Thanks all. It's a big relief. phew.....

I'll def be staying on the forum, just been super busy with the move and all.

you sound sad Shelduck... It is an awful feeling, loneliness...at least you are being positive by saying next year will be THE year... I bet it is for you x

Best of luck to you all moving back. I've been here 20 yrs now and you still can't take the 'country' out of me or the missus. We are ping pong poms been back over 20 times, my aussie mates say we could have bought another house here with what we've spent on airfares, sp[ending money etc each time we go back but I tell them we've had a bloody great time each time we do it. I just say 'your a long time dead and you can't take it with you' I suppose we're spending our kids inheritence, we don't care as we are both 50 and we'll keep doing it. Ideal scenario would be have 2 houses 1 here and 1 in England and spend 6 months in each per yr!!

Lifes too short and its not a dress rehersal, so if your going back good on you. Aus is not for everyone

Covkid

Guest guest37336

In a way Whichway that is a truly sad post, :cry: but in the same light it can also be viewed as a very hopeful 'looking to future' :jiggy: post.

All the best matey, good luck back in Scotland.:yes:

if in a year I had 100days off work 95 of those days were spent by myself. And everywhere I went I went by myself. All that house was to me was almost like a cell.

I do not post here anymore but do take the time to try and log on a few times in the week and read through some of the posts.

Glad a spotted this thread as this totally sums up how I felt towards the end of my time in Oz.

Suffice to say that I am now enconsed in my "wee hoose" in Scotland and am settled and a lot more happier in myself.

Hope that your move back is all that you wish for - it is for me.

GillianTay -That is so positive and inspiring

Perthbum That couldn't be anymore true and I am so glad I realised how unimportant the material things can be

I suppose it does sound a bit sad, but the good news is the sadness here is over

I am glad I came to Oz although for a long time I wasn't, if only to know where my home is and where it definitely is not!!

I used to think it would be great to ave enough cash to have a house in Oz and a House in UK but now I don't know but at the moment I am a bit scunnered with Oz but I suppose that will change when I distance myself from it.

Angus, Scotland here I come (in 2 and a half months)

The beauty is that now I am enjoying Oz cos I know it is not forever anymore.

Cheers friends x x

if in a year I had 100days off work 95 of those days were spent by myself. And everywhere I went I went by myself. All that house was to me was almost like a cell.

I do not post here anymore but do take the time to try and log on a few times in the week and read through some of the posts.

Glad a spotted this thread as this totally sums up how I felt towards the end of my time in Oz.

Suffice to say that I am now enconsed in my "wee hoose" in Scotland and am settled and a lot more happier in myself.

Hope that your move back is all that you wish for - it is for me.

How long have you been back for and whereabouts are you?

Whichway, I can totally relate. In Oz we had a huge house and pool on 8 acres. When I closed the door on it, I never looked back, and never wanted to. Now, 10 months after returning to Scotland, I try hard to remember what life was like then and it was bland, lonely and had no pulse. It was an existence. I felt like a bird in a golden cage. Now I'm home in my cosy little Scottish home in the country, the last few months have been full, rich and soul lifting. I suppose it took living in Oz for 12 years for me to truly appreciate what makes me happy and fulfilled. It is definately not the 'idealism' of the big soul-less house in the 'dream' country. I have respect and am happy for those that actually enjoy, to the full, life in Australia, but it wasn't for me. I could blether on about all the little things that bring actual joy to my heart by being home but it won't mean much to others, just me, and that is an important lesson learnt.... go with your own gut instincts.. they will bring you to where you're supposed to be.

Hi Folks,

Anyone who has been conversing with me on this brilliant form will know I am going home.:biggrin:

Since I started the return process (even although I have been unhappy here for several years) I was doubt full that this is the right decision for me and my family..... But my decision was reinforced about a week ago....

We had a beautiful house, the most beautiful and biggest house I think I will ever have the good fortune to live in, I had a good job, the best I've ever had in my life. About a week ago our house sale went through and it was time to move out. So we cleaned it out and shut the door.

The thing that struck me most of all was how much I had loved this house but in the end I had no emotional attachment to it at all. Normally before moving out of a house I would have a sentimental stroll through, but I didn't and had absolutely no desire to. Just before I shut the door I looked into the lounge and all I could see was how lonely I had been there. To put it into context, if in a year I had 100days off work 95 of those days were spent by myself. And everywhere I went I went by myself. All that house was to me was almost like a cell.

If I am ever questioning my motives for returning, I'll just remember my big fat lonely cell.

Sounds like an end of an era and the start of a new exciting chapter. Good luck to you.

Funny enough, that will probably put you in good stead with your transition into the Uk after having been a way a while.

We were immensely miserable towards the end and as hard as it was, I have been glad of that particular experience because even with sweeping windy gales and downpours of rain yesterday, I still am not looking over my shoulder hankering after my old lonely, isolated life in Perth!

p.s the windy gales were only yesterday, thankfully! been a fabulous winters day today and woke up to beautiful blue skies. Ahhh home sweet home.

I wish that when I was at my worst I knew about this website. I remember feeling so lonely, sad, empty.... I would aimlessly walk around air-conditioned shopping centres.....

Now I am home, I am loving the villages and small town life, so friendly and fresh. I feel at home now.

Strange for me, before I went to live in Australia, I had travelled the world for just over 10yrs. Out of anyone, odds where I would be fine, I would settle..... but no, I really didnt settle.

When I left I walked around the whole dump of a house we lived in with a camcorder, the taxi van was outside with the bags and kids in, I walked around and videoed it, walked to the van, got in and said goodbye to Australia as we headed to the airport. I cried from the relief, the sense of moving on overwhelmed me so much.

For some its great, for some its not. If we were all the same it would be weird and boring.

Good luck to you