176 lodged December 2011

jacb

Hi all we have finally just submitted our 176 visa!!! Is there anyone else out there that has submitted in December so far?

Just a quick question. I have uploaded all documents required on the checklist but now when I go into the visa application using the TRN number to check the application it doesn't indicate that they have actually been uploaded and there is nowhere to upload anything else. Is this normal? :laugh:

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nomadinusa

Hi jacb;

Congrats on filling up the 176 visa.. Did you fill it online? What documents need to be uploaded? Can you please guide me through the process?

Thanks

cheers

nicky

Hi, we are hoping to get ours lodged this week so will be able to join this thread offically soon I hope!! We have a concern with work experience as we need to get points for 8 years but on the 176 form there is not the specifc drop down option for one of my husbands job titles (IT manager) and we are worried that by choosing something simiar (like Network Administrator) the DIAC may not consider it closely related and therefor not award the points we need! Any advice anyone??

Did your husband get his skills assessed by anyone? This is needed to apply for the visa and if so you should pick that drop down? If it's not his main skill, i.e. the one you are applying for your visa with the related occupation will need to be closely related. I believe this means that the first 4 numbers in the ANZSCO code should match. For example my husband has experience in Electronics (233411) and Electrical (233311) Engineering but they are not classified as closely related so he was only able to claim experience for his main occupation - Electrical. If you check out the ANZSCO codes and job descriptions and check your husbands skills match the skills listed in the description you should be ok.

We did fill it in online, I don't think we've been assigned a case officer yet as we've not heard anything but we've booked our medicals and police checks anyway as we would like the visa granted as soon as possible.

We uploaded the following:

passports

birth certificates

marriage certificate

my husband's qualification certificates and transcripts for each year of uni.

IELTS results

proof of state sponsorship

12 months payslips and most recent p60

2 reference letters from my husband's employers

proof of skills assessment

passport photos

Most of the copies of our documents had been countersigned by a solicitor but I don't believe this is required you are uploading the documents in colour.

Hi jacb;

Congrats on filling up the 176 visa.. Did you fill it online? What documents need to be uploaded? Can you please guide me through the process?

Thanks

cheers

nicky

Did your husband get his skills assessed by anyone? This is needed to apply for the visa and if so you should pick that drop down? If it's not his main skill, i.e. the one you are applying for your visa with the related occupation will need to be closely related. I believe this means that the first 4 numbers in the ANZSCO code should match. For example my husband has experience in Electronics (233411) and Electrical (233311) Engineering but they are not classified as closely related so he was only able to claim experience for his main occupation - Electrical. If you check out the ANZSCO codes and job descriptions and check your husbands skills match the skills listed in the description you should be ok.

Yes, ACS skills assessment (RPL). The problem is the only 2 occupations with the same code as Chief Information Officer are not available to select on the drop down list - the closest match is Network administrator but that does not have the matching 4 digits that you refer to. I have received conflicting info from some agents I have contacted - some say it will be fine, others say that the DIAC wont consider it closely related. agghhhhhh!!

That seems really strange that you can't select "Chief Information Officer" it's listed on schedule 2 of the SOL. Why don't you contact DIAC directly and ask why you can't select it? If you don't have any luck you could always select the closest occupation then attach a covering letter explaining everything. I contacted the DIAC office in London before I submitted as we had a residency question and they were very helpful. The telephone number is: +44 20 7856 1563

Guest Kalinka
Hi, we are hoping to get ours lodged this week so will be able to join this thread offically soon I hope!! We have a concern with work experience as we need to get points for 8 years but on the 176 form there is not the specifc drop down option for one of my husbands job titles (IT manager) and we are worried that by choosing something simiar (like Network Administrator) the DIAC may not consider it closely related and therefor not award the points we need! Any advice anyone??

This is what it says on the DIAC website:

"You will be awarded points for employment in a skilled occupation, gained over the past ten years either in Australia or overseas. To claim points for skilled employment, the experience that you claim must be in your nominated occupation, or in a closely related occupation. You can claim points for both Australian skilled employment and overseas skilled employment and this may be from a combination of both Australian and overseas employment experience provided it was undertaken in the last 10 years.

For the purpose of awarding points, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship considers skilled employment in the nominated occupation or a closely related occupation to be at least 20 hours every week. In determining whether an applicant's skilled employment is closely related to their nominated occupation, the department will take into consideration the occupations within one unit group classified under Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)."

So basically, you can claim points for work experience post degree in either the occupation named in your skills assessment or the one that is in the same Unit Group in ANZSCO, ie any occupation which first four numbers are the same as your nominated occupation. http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/_pd...-structure.pdf

We're the same..it takes over everything! Even now, it feels surreal that it's come this far already! Delighted to have lodged before Christmas, and agree, unlikely to hear anything until the new year. I imagine there's a bit of a rush now by those trying to make the Jan 1 deadline before the fees increase..

I was too busy rushing us on to get in before the January deadline and didn't think of everyone else doing the same. Hopefully it won't slow the process down too much. I imagine the beginning of the year will be busy as everyone will be rushing to get their applications in before the new visa rules come into effect. It sounds like the process might take ages after that! Are you planning to head to Perth?

Hi jacb, since u have lodged ur 176 visa, hope you could share ur experience. I'm in doubt now whether i should go for 175 or 176. I'm going for 261111 ICT Business Analyst. I got positive skills assessment since 21/11/11 n have point test 70 points b4 considering 5 points from the Vic SS. I read from some forums n also from immi website that the processing time for 176 is faster n the priority is higher. I m not in hurry to migrate as i have still 1.5 yrs working contract in germany. Anyhow, I also submitted Vic SS on 23/11/11 but after 1 week i received an email asking me why i chose Vic instead of WA where i studied. Reasons submitted on 5/12/11 but today not sure whether outcome would be positive or not. I'm now close to 33 yrs old n afraid while waiting my age point will reduce by 5 points. Do you know how is age calculated? By birthdate or by birth year? If birth year then 2012 is only few days away. If by birthdate i could still have 3 months until march 2012. Now just bcoz i've submitted the Vic SS application i'm stuck... Is it worth to wait or should i submit 175 already? Anyone out there pls also help... I have now many sleepless nights over this... :( many thanks...

I was too busy rushing us on to get in before the January deadline and didn't think of everyone else doing the same. Hopefully it won't slow the process down too much. I imagine the beginning of the year will be busy as everyone will be rushing to get their applications in before the new visa rules come into effect. It sounds like the process might take ages after that! Are you planning to head to Perth?

We're looking at going to Geraldton, and pretty much set our hearts on it...although Perth is the other major contender...I shouldn't imagine it will take that long really (I hope) judging by the current time estimates that are coming from DIAC. Having said that, it's impossible to guess...but at this point i'm just happy it's in and I feel like I've given it my all! You heading to Perth yourself?

Hi slch79

If you are in no rush for your visa then I'd just go for a 175 as I don't think they're taking that long at the moment and it means you have no restrictions, but it's up to you. I think that as soon as you turn 33 your age points will reduce (so not birth year) but I wouldn't worry too much about it as even if you turn 33 you'll still have 65 points without worrying about state sponsorship which is all you need! We were keen to get our application in before Christmas as the visa costs are due to increase by 15% from the 1st January. I hope this helps!

Hi jacb, since u have lodged ur 176 visa, hope you could share ur experience. I'm in doubt now whether i should go for 175 or 176. I'm going for 261111 ICT Business Analyst. I got positive skills assessment since 21/11/11 n have point test 70 points b4 considering 5 points from the Vic SS. I read from some forums n also from immi website that the processing time for 176 is faster n the priority is higher. I m not in hurry to migrate as i have still 1.5 yrs working contract in germany. Anyhow, I also submitted Vic SS on 23/11/11 but after 1 week i received an email asking me why i chose Vic instead of WA where i studied. Reasons submitted on 5/12/11 but today not sure whether outcome would be positive or not. I'm now close to 33 yrs old n afraid while waiting my age point will reduce by 5 points. Do you know how is age calculated? By birthdate or by birth year? If birth year then 2012 is only few days away. If by birthdate i could still have 3 months until march 2012. Now just bcoz i've submitted the Vic SS application i'm stuck... Is it worth to wait or should i submit 175 already? Anyone out there pls also help... I have now many sleepless nights over this... :( many thanks...