register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest The Hennesseys

some questions before deciding

Guest The Hennesseys

Hello to all , as i,m still in deciding mode about whether this is the right thing to do, there are a few nagging questions I have and i don,t know how to get answers, thought there is bound to be someone who can help so here they go,

1. Perth or Queensland?(we were thinking sunshine state) family of 5 kids age 6,4, 1.O/h self employed plumber / bathroom fitter.We live in a city. (Love outdoors, beaches, we,d like to be no more than 20 mins to a beach).open to other suggestionsof areas

2.Son wears glasses and has regular checks to update his prescription at hospital always needs them replaced, how does this work in oz ? ( I,m assuming it can be expensive but does private medical insurance cover?)

3.ECZEMA, I suffer but there must be other sufferers out there do you find its got better due to more sunshine ?or worse ? also i get a lot of stuff on prescription so again does this work out costly?

Theres loads more but they important for now ! thanks , liz x :jiggy:

Guest Kerstin

Hi - Ok, first of all have you visited either place? I can tell you that Queensland is def. more tropical which means that the humidity is high. In other words it is wet heat, bit like a steamroom. For someone with skin conditions it is somewhat better in a 'wet' place than a dry one. As far as glasses are concerned, my son has them, you do not have to pay for the examination (Medicare pay for this) but you pay for glasses. A good pair will set you back about $200-300, nothing you can do about that, but then again he needs them ey?

We live in the Glass house Mountains, 1+ hr drive up from Brisbane, very beautiful, in the middle of the national park, 5 min. from Australia Zoo (whoo-whoo) and 15 min from the beaches. Best of all worlds.

The tricky thing is the employment. My hubby is a plumber and although it is said that this is the best trade to be in in Australia, he has to make sure he has his qualifications verified (costs involved) and may have to resit some if not most of his exams. Also he will need to be registered and that takes some time. He can work 'under' someone as a provisional plumber, but then his wages are $25p/h in QLD. As a self-employed he can earn up to about $70p/h, but he must be fully registered first and there is a lot of paperwork involved in having your own business. Also the costs for this a high, you need to sit an management exam etc. However I believe that Perth are supposibly very keen on trades people and may get more money there.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you need and want for your family. I can only talk for QLD. We would NOT want to be anywhere else, it is beautiful here, not so isolated as Perth, but Perth is a beautiful place too. You may have to see if someone who lives there can give you more of an idea. Just remember money is not everything!!!!

Hope that helps a bit.

Kerstin

Hi

Have you had a look at the real estate web pages....?

look on:

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

there are suburb reports on there telling you about schools, housing etc it will give you an idea of cost of living in the different areas and closness to beaches etc

ultimately you have to make that decision.. for what is right for you and the family... we are going to perth... jobs are better for us there.

min x:wubclub:

3RD MARCH 2008....WE ARE HERE!!!!!