You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

cartertucker

How'd you find the area you want to live in?

Guest Guest31881

I didn't the wife came over before me and when I arrived it was all sorted.. :biggrin:

But basically we finished up in QLD because Margaret has relatives up here and it made life easier as she stayed with her bother until she sorted out accommodation.

Hi Kelly

Getting the rental was the deciding factor on where we ended up, even then we sat outside unsure, it is a big thing, especially with children.

We spent hours driving round all the areas we had researched before we got to WA and checked out others we found through looking at rentals.

My OH has just done it here in QLD alone and not sure if it is right for us but it is a starting point to then make a decision once we get to know the areas.

Good Luck

Sam x

We knew we wanted to be as close to the beach as possible when we came. We always loved going on holiday to sunny places and spent nearly all our time on the beach when we were away, so thought we may as well try and live full time like that.

We rented in Como, near the river for about a year. Had a good look round in that time and loved the Northern suburbs and particularly the areas within easy reach of Mullaloo beach. It has to be one of the best beaches anywhere. The houses around there were just about in our price bracket. Far enough out of the City in 92 to be a lot cheaper than Trigg, Scarbourough and Hillarys. The Freeway used to end at Hepburn Ave. when we moved there and Marmion Ave. was a quite, single carriageway.

The area was just what we wanted and it turned out to be the best choice we could have made.

I think you have to decide what type of lifestyle you want. I didn't come here to earn lots of money with the intentions of returning to the UK rich. I didn't want to build a career. I just wanted a decent, interesting job that gave us enough to pay the mortgage and spend as much time away from work as possible. That's when I really enjoy Oz and all it has to offer.

Living near the beach gives the opportunity to do exercise with a group of like minded people in the mornings before work. Before the sea breeze kicks in.

All up I'm pretty happy with my lot. Have a good look round at different suburbs before you make a decision.

Good luck.

We knew we wanted to be as close to the beach as possible when we came. We always loved going on holiday to sunny places and spent nearly all our time on the beach when we were away, so thought we may as well try and live full time like that.

We rented in Como, near the river for about a year. Had a good look round in that time and loved the Northern suburbs and particularly the areas within easy reach of Mullaloo beach. It has to be one of the best beaches anywhere. The houses around there were just about in our price bracket. Far enough out of the City in 92 to be a lot cheaper than Trigg, Scarbourough and Hillarys. The Freeway used to end at Hepburn Ave. when we moved there and Marmion Ave. was a quite, single carriageway.

The area was just what we wanted and it turned out to be the best choice we could have made.

I think you have to decide what type of lifestyle you want. I didn't come here to earn lots of money with the intentions of returning to the UK rich. I didn't want to build a career. I just wanted a decent, interesting job that gave us enough to pay the mortgage and spend as much time away from work as possible. That's when I really enjoy Oz and all it has to offer.

Living near the beach gives the opportunity to do exercise with a group of like minded people in the mornings before work. Before the sea breeze kicks in.

All up I'm pretty happy with my lot. Have a good look round at different suburbs before you make a decision.

Good luck.

Thankyou so much ~ I would say that this is just how we feel too :yes:

We know that we want to be near the beach & would love to be able to walk to places, rather than always getting in the car

We appreciate though that the houses are much more expensive the 'coastal side' & so have tried & tried to find an area that we like (within a short drive of the beach)...But no :nah: Cant find anything

I know its early days, but we did have a good look around on our reccie in March too & still couldnt find any areas (away from the beach) that we liked! :dull:

Ive been really worrying, but today Hubby said 'whats the point in moving somewhere we dont really want to be'.....& he is right :yes:

Guest JK2510

We would love to live near to the beach. Mullaloo beach that is but that isn't cheap! Rentals would be around $600-$1500 PW. To buy well $600k+++

I find the public transport here(if you don't live close to a train station) isn't great and everything is spread about given that there is sooo much more space than the UK!

We live in Hocking,no we wouldn't buy here but it's a start!! If we would of brought here instead of renting(before we initially thought we loved this sort of area) so I'm glad we are only renting! Who knows where we will be in a yr or 2s time!

A case of try before you buy and invest alot of money. As selling isn't always an easy option! The house opposite has been on the market since June?!

We wanted to be in an established suburb, no ghastly new builds. Close to shops, public transport, beach and freeway. We settled on Connolly. We can get the bus or even walk to Joondalup. 5 mins to beach. 25 mins on the train to the City or a 20 min drive off peak. Great location and in over 6 years we haven't been disappointed.

Somewhere will crop up for you I am sure.

Guest Guest55385

Hi, Purely by chance although our search for accommodation is second to finding a school. We're currently in Subi and loving it, although looking at City Beach now. Properties are expensive however a sea view is worth it :)

We went on an extended holiday to scout out a few of the state capitals and the ones we liked we went to the likely suburbs and saw how we felt about it.

I've also found it quite useful to just sit on real-estate.com.au and put in a price limit on the map view and just scroll around. Then just correlate it 'on the ground'. Helps if you're borderline for being able to afford some place.

We're going to rent for a year to 'make sure' as well. At least with the housing market off the boil there isn't quite the same pressure to force you into a decision and to be honest most places I've seen would be cheaper to rent in the short term anyway.

RENT!! It's horrible renting in OZ but it's essential!! Seriously, this may be the only good thing about the UK recession but if we would have landed with loads of $$$$ deposit wise we would have made the mistake of our lives! Having lived here for 18 months we have gone full circle about location, plot size everything. I believe only now 18 months later do we truly know where we want to live and the compromises needed. For the record we are sold on SOR, anywhere stretching along the swan river is our dream, it's just a stunning area to live in xxxxx

We had little choice. We were done over by my sponser who "insisted" on us living nearer the hell hole where I work. It was a long first year and we were unable to take advantage of all the research we had done because we were too scared to annoy my sponser! Seems absurd now but its difficult to be confident when you first arrive. We found where we live now by spending the first year looking at lots of areas we could escape to, so had a lot more choice.

Guest London Lady

My partners parents had been here 20yrs so we had a few hols & half an idea, we knew we wanted a bit of greenery as well as not being too far from beach so we bought a place SOR in Baldivis, but like yrself we dont like that we cant go out & enjoy a meal together & bottle of wine as one of us has to drive. So we are now looking at moving closer to the foreshore and our neighbours aint all that friendly either, so my advice is to try before you buy. We wish that we had. All the best Michelle